2nd year for the synth....

Well folks, it seems electronics are here to stay. I saw my one live show of the year on Friday and I can honestly say most corps are using their new toys better than last year. I still wish they weren't allowed but I found myself not finding them as glaringly obnoxious as I did last year. For a minute I even thought BAC wasn't using one until I heard a little effect towards the end. Theirs is cleverly hidden behind percussion instruments at the far right of the pit. Hopefully this will be the trend and corps will continue to find useful ways to utilize them and get away from the obnoxious overuse of BASS and sound effects.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Couldn't say, I bailed the second they were made legal.

I was very excited to see no keyboard in Boston's pit. I was sad to hear the trigger pad sounds anyway. Not necessary - take the sounds out and there is no negative impact to the show whatsoever. So again, the question I ask is this: why bother? Just be brave enough to go completely cold turkey and show the world of drum corps that you don't need electronic sounds to compete. Simple as that.

Three keyboards in Crossmen's pit.

Guitar and bass with Teal Sound.

Everyone else doing same stuff: keyboards that make keyboard-like sounds, and/or hype up the bass for impacts, and like last year I do not trust that hornlines can be fairly judged when a keyboard is being used as a support for the horns.

This year has been much, much better, from what little I've seen already. IMO, the addition of electronic instruments has worked far, far better than adding amplified voice.

Better than having voice...worse in the fact they aren't gone already so we can listen to the other people on the field marching and playing their parts.

This year has been much, much better, from what little I've seen already. IMO, the addition of electronic instruments has worked far, far better than adding amplified voice.

Well, sure. But saying "canned cheese ravioli is better than canned beef ravioli" doesn't make the ravioli in a can better than the real deal.