2nd year for the synth....

.. they use synths to replace a traditional mallet part there to create the sound of ... guitar - another percussion instrument. Meanwhile, we've reduced an entire orchestra's worth of score down to... four-part brass harmony?

a guitar is a percussion instrument? If beat on, maybe...

a guitar is a percussion instrument? If beat on, maybe...

On Friday I was thinking the Guitar player should have beaten the synth to pieces with his axe. (Teal)

• Like 1

well, with your post count, you shouldn't be giving incorrect info :satisfied:

Yeah, yeah - I corrected myself.

Mike

2nd year for the synth...., Better or worse?

In my view, synths blow goats. Even then, the goats think they're baaaaad.

Edited by SCV Biker

Just a couple of notes from a guy who's corps uses this stuff.

I too am really, really annoyed by bad low-end synth, especially when it is used to "enhance" brass sound, especially at big hits. Thankfully, we don't do that (which is doubly interesting as we only have eight contras. I guess human-powered bass still counts for something).

There are also a lot more synth/keyboards in world-class pits then many people realize. For some reason, a lot of corps have gone out of their way to hide them under and behind oversized enclosures. We have ours out in the open so folks can watch our kids play :)

Guitars are judged by the percussion judges as part of the pit. That's the performance sheet they fall under. As with all instruments, they are fair game for the ensemble and effect judges. They are not considered in any way on the brass sheets. I'm far more pleased this year with judges comments with regards to electronics, especially music ensemble. We've even received a number of "Hey, crank them up!" comments when they are the predominant voice in Feed the Wheel and The Running Free.

Also, just a note with regards to Teal's guitar and bass guitar. We're playing Dream Theater and Coheed & Cambria. If you aren't familiar with our source material (which I believe we are remarkably faithful too...probably more than any corps on the road is to theirs) I strongly urge a trip to iTunes. It's great stuff, and will lead to greater insight on where and how we're using our electronics. You'll also discover some great music along the way, much like us old guys did when listening to the great music played by corps in the 70's and 80's.

Edited by Kamarag

2nd year for the synth...., Better or worse?

In my view, synths blow goats. Even then, the goats think they're baaaaad.

Nice! :satisfied::blink:

• Like 1

I too am really, really annoyed by bad low-end synth, especially when it is used to "enhance" brass sound, especially at big hits. Thankfully, we don't do that (which is doubly interesting as we only have eight contras. I guess human-powered bass still counts for something).

John, that's the part I don't get, either.

I have supported the use of electronics since they first made their debut in DCI. Heck, I supported DCA's Empire Statesmen's use of an electric guitar back in 1985.

But I don't understand why a corps that puts, say, 70-80 brass players on the field, including a dozen or so tubas, really needs to electronically "enhance" that sound, in particular on the low end. Or use mikes on brass soloists.

Isn't that where the training of the players (and expertise of the staff) is supposed to come in, to produce that full "drum corps sound" as an ensemble, and for soloists to carry their sound to all parts of the viewing area?

I'm meh on electronics, but it's a darn sight better than voice.

I like miked voice/vocals, when done well.