One show from each decade that molded the direction of DCI

he don't agree with 1994 BD on the list :blink:

G

It was a tossup, I almost said Star 93. But in terms of "molding the direction of DCI" musically speaking, nothing changed the game in the 90's as much as BD 94 did (and it's still evident). Visually Star 93 did change the game somewhat, but for me it felt more like an extension of what the Cadets were doing and not something completely new to the activity. So, 94 BD got the edge.

I'm almost of a mind that this years Blue Devils could be the ultimate game changer...both visually AND musically (moreso visually, much like Star 93). We'll see in 3-5 years or so.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

70's - 76 BD. Before this year drills were lines, echelons and files. 76 BD changed all that.

It is not true that before '76 we only did lines, echelons and files. This is such a misconception that it drives me CRAZY!! There were lots of arcs, circles and asymetrical sets years before '76. Check out SCV at Whitewater '73 for example (you know where).

The big change for the 70s was '73 SCV because for the first time "Color Pre" was eliminated and YPG (two tempo) set the tone for thinking outside the box instead of having the usual OTL, drum break, Color pre, into concert, concert, out of concert, (big breath) drum break, ballad and exit. IMHO of course :blink: .

Again, question was what one corps from each decade changed the activity......While SCV did present a non-symetrical dril in 80, you didnt see the activity change after it.

I call BS. No one did what we were doing in all through '80 tour. By Finals though, a number of corps—including Spirit and 27th—had swapped in asymmetrical pieces into their drill. Take a look at the '80 DVD. From '80 on, corps embraced asymmetry in their drill. '80 SCV changed the activity forever, and set themselves up quite nicely with a DCI championship in 1981.

True that Cadets took the asymmetric drill to a new level with explosive moves like the Z-Pull, however, none of that would even exist if it weren't for '80 SCV paving the way. '80 SCV was the first corps to perform an entire show without regard to Side 1 or Side 2. If you don't think that's revolutionary, I don't know what is.

I think you confirmed his answer. Would Zingali do it if Emmons didn't do it first. He might have done it later But SCV did it first. The only reason it didn't catch on was a 7th place finish by a perenial top 3 corps.......Just saying

Zingali was doing it with Quasar before he brought it to 27. He wasn't copying Emmons by any means.

76 BD

84 Cadets

94 BD

02 Cavaliers

10 BD

I call BS. No one did what we were doing in all through '80 tour. By Finals though, a number of corps—including Spirit and 27th—had swapped in asymmetrical pieces into their drill. Take a look at the '80 DVD. From '80 on, corps embraced asymmetry in their drill. '80 SCV changed the activity forever, and set themselves up quite nicely with a DCI championship in 1981.

True that Cadets took the asymmetric drill to a new level with explosive moves like the Z-Pull, however, none of that would even exist if it weren't for '80 SCV paving the way. '80 SCV was the first corps to perform an entire show without regard to Side 1 or Side 2. If you don't think that's revolutionary, I don't know what is.

Sorry Kevin, call "BS" all you want..it doesnt take anything away from your show but there was no real significant change from 80 - 82 in regards to the design of visual and music as one cohesive product...until Garfield presented their 1983 show. Zingali didnt take what SCV did and expand on it, he took what HE did and expanded on that..had Bonfiglio not been so "stubborn" It would have, could have been 27th ......

Vanguard did not single handedly alter the activity with its 1980 show, Garfield did.

Had you not marched it, would you be able to be more objective ???

G

I think '75 BD was the mold breaker. The '76 show was the culmination of the ground that was broken in '75. IMO of course.

Also I don't think you can deny how ground breaking the '80 SCV show was. The judges seemingly didn't even know how to judge it. That says something. Going from 7th in '80 to first in '81 tells me that '80 show was not a 7th place show. Yes, give Zingali his props. But recognizing what SCV did in '80 should not detract from Zingali's later work with Cadets. I just think '80 SCV blew apart all the rules and established a new paradigm of what drill can be.

After that, Cavaliers in the 2000's redefined what the visual element can be.

90's - 91 Star. Again, not a fan but they raised show design to another level.

I have my doubts about this one. Was Star 91 really a departure or a refinement of what they unveiled in 1990?

I think '75 BD was the mold breaker. The '76 show was the culmination of the ground that was broken in '75. IMO of course.

Also I don't think you can deny how ground breaking the '80 SCV show was. The judges seemingly didn't even know how to judge it. That says something. Going from 7th in '80 to first in '81 tells me that '80 show was not a 7th place show. Yes, give Zingali his props. But recognizing what SCV did in '80 should not detract from Zingali's later work with Cadets. I just think '80 SCV blew apart all the rules and established a new paradigm of what drill can be.

After that, Cavaliers in the 2000's redefined what the visual element can be.

Im sorry, but this is not even on par of what Garfield did in regard to influencing the activity. All one has to do is simple, see what happened to the activity in 1981, and then 1984.....its night and day and Garfield deserves their credit. 1980 SCV was a radical show with much inovation and new ideas on the field, but it didnt mandate the rest of the activity to follow it in 1981. Its not even close.

G

I just finished watching my '80 dvd and decided to chart SCV to see what was going on.

Here is how it broke down as I saw it:

0-1:05 Opener starts back right and moves forward with the corps split mirrored along an axis that is tilted off the 50

1:06-3:14 End of opener through the beginning of the drum solo the corps is split by the 50 in a mirrored fashion

3:15-3:47 The corps is making the spiral slightly off-centered with respect to the 50

3:47-4:10 End of drum solo and wait to start Argentina

4:10-4:40 True asymmetrical drill to form the arc

4:40-6:40 Standing still for the concert portion of Argentina

6:40-6:48 8 step asymmetrical drill move

6:49-8:08 Standing still to finish concert

8:08-9:23 Corps is split in 2 halves on opposite sides of the 50 performing different drill moves from each other

9:23-11:07 Corps is split by the 50 in a mirrored fashion

11:07-End The corps is split and mirrored along a tilted axis that starts off the 50 and rotates back to the 50 as the show finishes

Bold type: Out of a 12 minute show there is approxmately 1 minute and 8 seconds of true asymmetrical drill

Red Type: The Bridgemen were doing essentially the same thing during the Civil War Suite and IMHO much more effectively.

Was Pete trying out some different ideas? Absolutely

Was the whole show like '83 Cadets? Absolutely not

How revolutionary was rotating the central axis off the 50?

Had that been done before or as much as SCV did it in '08?

With all due respect, this show did not change the activity.

Edited by dckid80