Retreat opening

Retreat opening  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like retreat's opening last year?

• Yes
    • I'm indifferent
    • No
    • No. I was on the field and it was embarassing.
    • Hell No. M*ley C*rus and smoke machines can suck it.
    • There was a retreat last year?
  2. 2. How would you like the opening to retreat?

• The same
    • No smoke machines
    • No dumb J*stin B*eber music
    • 2 & 3
    • 4 + clips from classic drum corps
    • No music, video, or smoke machines
  3. 3. Rate last year's retreat from 1-5

• 1 (Even Helen Keller thought it sucked)
    • 2 (My eyes and ears are still bleeding)
    • 3 (I could do without either smoke or music)
    • 4 (I didn't care)
    • 5 (I loved it)

for those of you keeping score, WGI and DCI are actually different.

WGI has relatively no traditional aspects left (in terms of uniforms and miltary-esque feel to it), while DCI is just losing theirs. I would expect WGI not to care as much about retreat's traditional aspects; but I feel like DCI needs to step up and say it's important so they don't lose what little tradition they have left.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are some younger members in drum corps, we all know that... however, I know I'm not the only one that thinks that Miley Cyrus music is good for high school band girl freshman... 19-21 year old drum corps members don't want to hear that crap.

well, 12-16 year old girls is the target Miley market...

disclaimer: I don't know how the classes for WGI work; and I know there are guys there too, obviously.

the predominantly female "younger" guards are a different demographic than college age males, which is a significant portion of the DCI marchers.

The World Class i nWGI which I was speaking of is actually older then any DCI corps. Several years go the age linit was lifted from World class so the age limit is higher than DCI by quite a bit actually.

I dont really care what music they play to bring them onto the field. I actually like the whole 'big time show' thing with smoke machines, etc. Maybe pick something a little more appropriate for the age range... i didnt mind the black eyed peas, but miley, despite the lyrics fitting the 'drum corps experience' probably wasnt the best choice.

But as far as im concerned they can play im a little teapot to bring them to the field, as long as they bring back the mass brass at the end. I was very disappointed when i saw that the corps werent playing anything that night. Extremely lame. Sure, a few hang some notes, but thats not worth killing the whole idea..

If last yr were "an experiment", that's all well & good...except that it should be done at a regional, not the Finals...that should be where we truly make it special and if they had done it before, they would have realized it's not DCI. If they had done it at a regional and people were throwing babies, then by all means bring it back for The Show. Your Finals audience is not going to be the bandos that DCI is targeting, think about the demographics of them when you are thinking of changing something as steeped in tradition as retreat.

The World Class i nWGI which I was speaking of is actually older then any DCI corps. Several years go the age linit was lifted from World class so the age limit is higher than DCI by quite a bit actually.

Ok.

Would you agree that most guys and girls in a WGI world class colorguard unit would have the same/similar taste in music as a 13 year old girl?

I would.

But that's a completely different discussion.

And besides that, like I said, people involved in WGI won't care as much about the traditional military-esque retreat since they have almost none left to begin with.

Smoke machines I can honestly deal with, but the music bugs me more than anything else.

Ok.

Would you agree that most guys and girls in a WGI world class colorguard unit would have the same/similar taste in music as a 13 year old girl?

I would.

But that's a completely different discussion.

And besides that, like I said, people involved in WGI won't care as much about the traditional military-esque retreat since they have almost none left to begin with.

Smoke machines I can honestly deal with, but the music bugs me more than anything else.

No I wouldnt agree at all with your 1st line WGI World Class is very much adult and dont have the same taste at all. I do agree that most wont care about anything milatary tradition but I would venture to say as many people in drum corps that do thats as many that dont care about it. I will agree the Miley Cyris jusin B music is lame, but hey my parents thought my music was lame also. I would rather hear better music myslef as you do. My question is.. who decides wehats better I guess.. Subjective again....theres that word....lol

How about every corps playing themselves off? Gives the crowd one more chance to hear each corps and gives each corps one more chance to "lay their ears back"...and have all 12 corps pass in review (like the "old" days) before filling in from the back if you want "spectacle"...

I dont really care what music they play to bring them onto the field. I actually like the whole 'big time show' thing with smoke machines, etc. Maybe pick something a little more appropriate for the age range... i didnt mind the black eyed peas, but miley, despite the lyrics fitting the 'drum corps experience' probably wasnt the best choice.

But as far as im concerned they can play im a little teapot to bring them to the field, as long as they bring back the mass brass at the end. I was very disappointed when i saw that the corps werent playing anything that night. Extremely lame. Sure, a few hang some notes, but thats not worth killing the whole idea..

What he said.