Carolina Crown and Bluecoats

End the show on a regular major chord, and then like Madison 1980, have the mellophones rip up to the 9th (or 2nd) of the chord.

Klesch ALWAYS gives the mellos that note and then they resolve to the root.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this level its really hard to say you "don't like" this or that because its all incredible. Having said that, while I enjoy Crowns hornline tons, the sheer volume and sometimes lack of sophistication can become overwhelming to me. Their pre-show is the most exciting part of the whole program. Someone esle said the ballad is a bit long, and I agree.

The energy Bloo brings is amazing and it just doesn't stop. You can see there are still some gaps which I'm sure will be worked with additional layering. Like many have said, they fire on all cylinders and they understand how to manage emotion and energy throughout the entire program.

My nod is to Bloo.

2 great shows this year that could be fighting for 3rd or possibly higher. It's great to see these corps trading off during the course of the season. Looking at the scores this season, these 2 corps are pretty evenly matched. So of these 2 shows, which one do you enjoy more?

For me this was tough. Early in the season I think I enjoyed Crown just a little more, and love their hornline. But lately, the visual by the Bluecoats has been extremely impressive, maybe a little more than Crown.

It is very close right now, but I would say I enjoy Coats just a little more than Crown, but that could change by finals week.

Also, who do you think is going to place higher on finals night? I am predicting Coats to come in 3rd, and Crown just a bit below in 4th. Great job by both of the most recent corps to break into the top 4.

I've been a big Crown fan since 2000, and never really a fan of the Coats shows, but this year I REALLY love the Coats...my favorite show I have seen this year.

At this level its really hard to say you "don't like" this or that because its all incredible. Having said that, while I enjoy Crowns hornline tons, the sheer volume and sometimes lack of sophistication can become overwhelming to me. Their pre-show is the most exciting part of the whole program. Someone esle said the ballad is a bit long, and I agree.

The energy Bloo brings is amazing and it just doesn't stop. You can see there are still some gaps which I'm sure will be worked with additional layering. Like many have said, they fire on all cylinders and they understand how to manage emotion and energy throughout the entire program.

My nod is to Bloo.

???

<That would work, too. As it is, it just kind of takes an abrupt left turn as it nears the finish line.

Mike>

Are you channeling me? This is EXACTLY my issue with Crown's show...

They play very well...but the design they've been handed...it's...lumpy.

So far this season, I have always liked Crown better than Bluecoats, and that's still true today. My only reason for this is because I like the music Crown is playing better than the music Bloo is playing.

This.

Bluecoats hands down. Crown has a classic hornline but all that dancing and "body movement" just doesn't do it for me. Never will.

Crown hands down. Bluecoats have a great drill but all those synthesized samples and altering the soloists sound just doesn't do it for me. Never will. :grouphug:

Crown is just missing that special something the last 3 years had musically

I think that something is Bernstein ballads blended into the arrangements.

Seriously, though, I agree with everyone here that this year's Crown show doesn't live up to the past three, at least not yet. Not musically, visually, or energy-wise. But then last year I was still wavering on Crown's show at this point in the season, and it came together incredibly. Compared to other shows this season, though, I think only Blue Stars beats Crown music-wise for me.

The body movements/dancing don't bother me at all, but Crown's do feel forced this year compared to past years. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to changes in the show over the season. But wasn't it Bluecoats whose brass was *actually* dancing on the field this year? Like pirouettes and arabesques and stuff?

Finally, my point: I was turned off by some of the electronics in Bluecoats' show at first, but the show has really grown on me. I fully expect the top three to be BD, 'Coats, and Cavaliers, not necessarily in that order.