Does entertaining to the audience mean not credited by judges?

Just curious, what does the countdown have to do with anything ....I wouldnt waste my time on that nonsense if it was next door and they were giving ME five dollars..I saw those shows, and own those shows on vhs and DVD.......

G

'Sounds to me like another endorsement for the" intelligence" of DCI marketing and promotion then.

The corps' single best recruiting tool is it's program. If the corps would consider this when programming for the year, they'd be far more likely to see an upswing in early camp attendance. I've heard it said by many this year that Madison's show is a giant recruiting tool, and I tend to agree. There are a few corps out there this year that are reaching out and engaging the audience. They will see a major long term benefit of this approach.
good point. this waiting til April to announce the show could be keeping kids away

Interesting, because I have met many. Including myself. I have no affiliation with any corps whatsoever, have attended corps shows for about 25 years, and enjoy whichever corps I find the most entertaining that year. I am exactly the sort of fan that DCI is in danger of losing -- because of my lack of personal allegiance, the only thing keeping me in the stands is entertainment value. Although I think you are right that I am a small portion of the audience. Drum corps has always been a primarily closed society, with most of the audience comprised of ex-corps members and their families. Still, I used to bring friends to shows.

My impression of GE is that it is a sort of "critic's choice" award. That is, it doesn't strive to measure which corps has the most "general" effect (i.e., has the most effect on viewers/listeners, generally), but instead it strives to measure how impressive a corps is to the most-highly-educated listeners. And by "educated", I mean by the corps community itself. It's even a bit like an Academy Award, or a Grammy, a sort of peer vote, representing which show designs were the most interesting to other show designers. Although that is certainly of interest, one could argue that it isn't really "general effect".

great point about the critics awards. look at the movies that grossed the most all time...how many won Oscars?

'Sounds to me like another endorsement for the" intelligence" of DCI marketing and promotion then.

no he's quite accurate. i know many people that already have the stuff at home, and don't feel the need to go pay to see it in a theater...myself included.

Can't you just have an opinion without attempting to support it by multiples? Leave "the crowd/audience" alone, they belong to me as well in my views, I just don't prostitute them.

About your general maliase about the ecomony and DC going to hell in a hand basket....I was in Hattiesburg two nights ago and it was jam packed with fans that appreciated all corps in an area not too far from a recent economic nightmare.

If we leave the "mass audience out of the equation".... :worthy: .....where the hell do you get this stuff?

Perhaps DCI can put you and your "25" in a plane and fly you around the country giving us all just what we need to know and straighten us all out!

Group hug!!! :worthy:

I totally forgot that everything we say on DCP has to be positive. There is no disagreeing with anyone or having an opinion that anything is bad, especially if the Blue Devils are involved. So sorry, won't do it again,

I totally forgot that everything we say on DCP has to be positive. There is no disagreeing with anyone or having an opinion that anything is bad, especially if the Blue Devils are involved. So sorry, won't do it again,

What does the Blue Devils have to do with it ?? Sheesh...........

G

#### glad i didnt have a mouthful of water

Here is the ultimate solution.

Get rid of the on-field judges. Who cares what the show looks like from the back hash? Since DCI tries to compare itself to the olympics with all its medals and major league talk I'll use a sports analogy. You don't see figure skating judges out on the ice following the skater around for a closer look do you?

I believe I speak for the entire audience when I say this is a good idea. :worthy: