After talking to the judges last night...

So in yesterday's show in ATL, I had the chance to volunteer with Spirit, and had a job where I was placed on the field for the whole show.

I was to sit in a particular spot the entire show, and my job was to check stuff on the field after a corps performed. The spot I was placed was right next to the judges table. There were 3 of them there (must have been Allen, Bob, and Dave.) Regardless of what anyone says, these guys aren't as bad as they judge (if that makes sense.) After every corps performed, they would come off the field and randomly talk to us, sometimes about the corps that just performed. Even one time I heard one of them say "That was horrible." But I won't mention who they were referring to.

There were times that I had questions, and they'd be glad to answer whatever question I had. I know there is always speculation of whether or not these guys are always right, or consistent at what they do. No, they're not consistent, and they're not always right...everyone makes mistakes. I'm not saying the judges are always right at what they do. I'm just trying to make the point that if you actually talk to them for a period of time, you might not think the same about them when they judge "your" corps in a different way that you thought.

Of course, I'm still upset at some scores that have been given this year, but that doesn't mean I hate the judges. I'm looking at this situation from a "person" standpoint...not a "judge" standpoint if that makes sense. It was interesting to sit there and listen to what they had to say after every corps, and sometimes I found what they said to be quite surprising. Do I want to be a judge? of course not! Do I wish some scores were different, of course! But regardless of the "scoring" side of this activity, these guys are actually nice people, and they aren't just stuck up guys running around on the field bashing a corps when they screw up.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judges are people too!?

What a thought!

That's not my point of the post. Of course they're people, they're human! I'm trying to say that just because they don't judge your favorite corps the the way "you" thought they should have, don't hate them. I'm not completely for or against the judges. Like I said, I'm looking at this from a "person" standpoint...

That's not my point of the post. Of course they're people, they're human! I'm trying to say that just because they don't judge your favorite corps the the way "you" thought they should have, don't hate them. I'm not completely for or against the judges. Like I said, I'm looking at this from a "person" standpoint...

I know, I'm just spoofing how angry people will get when their corps doesn't get scored well.

Great post, btw.

i disagree. they're evil and they have an agenda. it's just wrong that they're so subjective.

oh wait, but not really.

thanks for the info. i've thought the same about judges at the shows i've helped out at.

The problem isnt the judges themselves in most cases... its that the metrics we've set up for them to judge against are imperfect.

The problem isnt the judges themselves in most cases... its that the metrics we've set up for them to judge against are imperfect.

they're all imperfect. no rubric can eliminate subjectivity, and oftentimes, the more complicated and verbose they are, the worse they are at eliminating it.

the member corps get together and re-align the rubrics every few years, and they also tell the judges how to use them (i would guess, anyway). maybe it's time for that to happen again. no matter what, the only people to "blame" for what is getting rewarded are the member corps, themselves.

What judges do is hard, and they mostly get things right. 90% of the judges are pretty good at their job, and 10% leave something to be desired, but that can be said in almost any profession.

My issues are not with the judges themselves, but rather with the system. For example does an early season 77 from BD equal a 77 a corps is getting now? Does a score you when a top 5 corps is in the show equal the same score when they are not there? The long and short of it, I want the numbers to mean what they say. if a corps scores an 85 I think it should be within 1 point of 85 no matter where you are, what corps you are performing with, or what part of the season it is in. I know thats a pie in the sky, but I think you can say that about other subjective sports. I will admit however that there are alot more components in a drum corps show then there are in a figure skating show.

Judges are human beings too.