What does one have to do to become a DCI judge

Thankyou, that was a ton of info that is much appreciated. Sounds like I could start making a few tapes on any free saturday night; once i'm in college and get a little more educated on Drill and Music of course.

Your welcome! Now go do it.....we need knew judges out there.....here....take this weapon, you will need it. :worthy:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all....you have to march a world class corps and build a complete bias towards that particular corps!

Then.....you have to partially lose hearing in one or both ears!

General Effect judges will need to be abosolutely entertained by boring movies and cheesy plots. (I suggest any Christopher Guest film or Twilight)

You will need to be daring and place yourselves in situations that are difficult to remove yourself from (I suggest running through an automated carwash wearing khakis and a polo shirt) This will better prepare you for that totally unnecessary position you will put yourself in while judging percussion surrounded by the entire hornline and guard.

You will have to build up a tolerance to actual marching ability and creative visual design and never lose sight of how demanding a sprint, hop, or roll on the ground actually is.

You must learn that any standing ovation given by the crowd should automatically be counted as a 3 tenths deduction for the corps simply because the fans obviously have no taste.

Laptops with internet capabilities are necessary in order for you to analyze the previous nights recaps so that you can adequately add 1 to 5 tenths of a point on each corps score that was given by the judge the previous night who may have actually done his job.....or took this same advice.

Lastly....... it would be in your best interest to reward only corps that have actually won it all before, because allowing a new corps to have that honor would thrust the activity into a whole new realm of design copy-catting and thus would make your job as a DCI judge that much more difficult to handle. (besides fans don't want variety or competition...they are only in it for the art)

oh yeah and... :worthy:

How does one go about becoming a DCI judge?

Contact DCI directly. Really, who better to ask?

Now my question: did all current DCI judges teach Finalist corps in the recent past? In other words how could they judge that highest level of corps if they were never caption heads of such corps themselves?

I taught a DCI Finalist corps many, many years ago, and have always played or taught [or both] various marching groups pretty much ever since. Yet there's no possible way I could --or want to-- teach corps today, much less judge them.

So are all Finalist judges also past Finalist corps instructors... or doesn't it matter?

Edited by Jim Nevermann

Contact DCI directly. Really, who better to ask?

Now my question: did all current DCI judges teach Finalist corps in the recent past? In other words how could they judge that highest level of corps if they were never caption heads of such corps themselves?

I taught a DCI Finalist corps many, many years ago, and have always played or taught [or both] various marching groups pretty much ever since. Yet there's no possible way I could --or want to-- teach corps today, much less judge them.

So are all Finalist judges also past Finalist corps instructors... or doesn't it matter?

I know that Albert Lo was apparently on Phantom's brass staff in 1991 (don't know about any other years).

Post continually on DCP.

so.....in 5000 posts I can become a judge?

spam incoming :-P

Post continually on DCP.

oops. I forgot to send my application to Indy.

General Effect judges will need to be abosolutely entertained by boring movies and cheesy plots. (I suggest any Christopher Guest film or Twilight)

You will need to be daring and place yourselves in situations that are difficult to remove yourself from (I suggest running through an automated carwash wearing khakis and a polo shirt) This will better prepare you for that totally unnecessary position you will put yourself in while judging percussion surrounded by the entire hornline and guard.

:lol::worthy:

Thankyou, that was a ton of info that is much appreciated. Sounds like I could start making a few tapes on any free saturday night; once i'm in college and get a little more educated on Drill and Music of course.

honestly....get the experience by starting with marching band and /or indoor depending on your caption. As you grow thru the ranks there, others already in that arena will know if you are good and may reccomend you to take that next step. it won't happen overnight, but if you are dedicated to your craft, stay on top of the ever changing world of the marching arts, and keep educating yourself, it could pay off

so.....in 5000 posts I can become a judge?

spam incoming :-P

Well ####, i guess im doubly qualified then. Better go get me a green shirt.

I know that Albert Lo was apparently on Phantom's brass staff in 1991 (don't know about any other years).

He was there during the years I marched as well and some thereafter. (Don't know for how long though.) Tracked us into the ground, on a daily basis. :worthy: