Blue Devils in Fairfax

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. I'm all for a hefty audience award, but it should be separate from the scoring that paid judges are hired to do. Do a survey or an applause-o-meter at all regionals to (help) compensate for regional favoritism (which does exist whether some understand it or not), and then base the award on results collected from the whole season's data.

Needless to say, I don't think BD would win that award.

Judging is absurd.

It might be indicative to subtract the applause meter reading BEFORE the show from the reading AFTER the show as a way to filter out that which is based on allegience from that which is based on appreciation of the show.

But just for fun, not for any officially recognized purpose. I don't think you could really pull off an audience award in any scientific way. Knowing it is being measured would taint the results. And if you think there is controversy now....

Besides, arguably, the crowd response IS an audience award more rewarding than any official pronouncement could provide.

It might be indicative to subtract the applause meter reading BEFORE the show from the reading AFTER the show as a way to filter out that which is based on allegience from that which is based on appreciation of the show.

But just for fun, not for any officially recognized purpose. I don't think you could really pull off an audience award in any scientific way. Knowing it is being measured would taint the results. And if you think there is controversy now....

Besides, arguably, the crowd response IS an audience award more rewarding than any official pronouncement could provide.

This.

I agree with that. It would be better than a judge divining it at individual shows and then factoring it into a number they give, though.

Hell I have a source that told me Downey HATES the show and the book he wrote... says it's a product of the guard staff... they picked the music and he was forced to arrange the way they wanted him to. I have to say I"M NOT surprised... the show is a 12 tone row!! Like really? I know people out there like that stuff.. usually geeky music theory people like me.. but it's place is not in drum corps.

You have to admit that they perform the HELL out of that show. BD always performs the hell out of their shows. The shows just don't connect with the audience because of the design of the show. ####.. if they were given a product that was fan friendly, they would tear down the house.

Speaking of Squating a Pile LOL :lookaround:

well, i can't tell you why they think it works. I've never done it. however, this late in the tour, often times designers ARE at the show

however...I'm quite sure corps that win do not want to be booed.

Wayne and Scott are both MIA tonight...previous engagements.

G

I'm just saying what I have been told by someone who has actually spoken to him about the book. Was the person just making stuff up? I don't think so, he seemed like a pretty respected person in his field.

And I would believe it, because this activity is so visually driven now.

Couldnt be further from the truth. Although, Wayne did get a nice belly laugh from this one, as only he can do......

G

Couldnt be further from the truth. Although, Wayne did get a nice belly laugh from this one, as only he can do......

G

I was wondering where the litany of victims of the "evil BD show designers" ended....so far, it's the kids who are victims and unwilling automatons of the evil designers, and also the audience who are subjected to the evils of the dastardly show designers. Given that line of silliness, it was only a matter of time before the designers themselves would also become victims of....themselves.

This thread is amazing.

Go, Blue Devils.