How Should We Improve Drum Corps

What is DCI’s biggest problem? (Relative to future growth)  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What is DCI?s biggest problem? (Relative to future growth)

• General program content and ?artistic? direction
    • Musical content and appeal
    • Drill design and appeal
    • All the new school stuff (Synth, Vocals, Etc).
    • Competitive balance (Increased parity)
    • Judging criteria
    • DCI Leadership
    • Old school drum corps neophytes
    • Lack of really expanding the format and moving further out of the box
    • DCI is fine and I like the direction it's heading
    • Other (Please clarify in your post)

Can you please explain what you mean by DCI Leadership?

Are you talking about the Board of directors who are responsible for overseeing the business aspects of DCI?

The voting member corps who vote on all the rules and other competitive items?

The DCI office and admin team who get to implement all of the Board and Member wishes?

The G7?

Something else?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you please explain what you mean by DCI Leadership?

Are you talking about the Board of directors who are responsible for overseeing the business aspects of DCI?

The voting member corps who vote on all the rules and other competitive items?

The DCI office and admin team who get to implement all of the Board and Member wishes?

The G7?

Something else?

DCI leadership + the Board and the voting corps

"Increased parody" is certainly DCI's biggest need! When oh when will the Velvet Knights return or someone else embrace humor as an identity?

VK has returned and they are actually very entertaining for a small corps. http://vkyao.org/vk/

Check them out at the OC shows in Michigan City and Indi. I think comedy done at a very high technical level is very difficult and a legit show style. I don't think the rules forbid this.

they say they want to draw in more fans.

ok, fine...make the musical selections less "music of dead white guys" that requires tons of research before shows start, and more stuff that can pull in masses. it may require some electronics to do it. fine. but even with the electronics used now, you really see no new ground being broken or stuff that will pull Joe Every Fan into the stadium

Competitive balance (Increased parody).

And how would you accomplish this without getting the government involved? Have a massive audition by instrument and then have all directors hold a draft? So much for freedom of choice. You'd end up watering down too many corps.

they say they want to draw in more fans.

ok, fine...make the musical selections less "music of dead white guys" that requires tons of research before shows start, and more stuff that can pull in masses. it may require some electronics to do it. fine. but even with the electronics used now, you really see no new ground being broken or stuff that will pull Joe Every Fan into the stadium

Hey I am open minded and love the out of the box ideas however you might consider getting some protection. This is DCP LOL

And how would you accomplish this without getting the government involved? Have a massive audition by instrument and then have all directors hold a draft? So much for freedom of choice. You'd end up watering down too many corps.

I think its more about changing judging criteria

Hey I am open minded and love the out of the box ideas however you might consider getting some protection. This is DCP LOL

these wascawy wabbits don't scare me