Do you like the Blue Devil's show?

Do you like the Blue Devil's show?  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Blue Devil's show?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it...maybe more than my own corps' show (thats right, I just said that :thumbup: )

To be fair though, I havent seen the cadets live since june, and I saw bd last night, but still, its a pretty hard thing to admit :lol:

Still don't like it.....

I can't imagine I ever will. Oh well....the mirrors were a neat concept though. I just wish they had done something else musically.

I didn't get into it at first musically or visually, and wasn't too optimistic about that changing.

But after listening to it a few more times in my car, I'm really starting to like it musically. It's kind of like I fell into a different plane and then I could hear all kinds of things going on. The fragmented presentations of the "normal" melody are really, really cool. And even if I had never caught on to all that, I would still have concluded that Laura (in its unbroken form) is just SUBLIME. I do wish they had established La Suerte a little more at the beginning and definitely would like to see it pulled into a longer resolution at the end. But who knows, maybe by Saturday either they will have or I will have realized it is the way it should be.

Visually, I will be sitting higher than ever before in Indy, so maybe I will be able to follow it better from there. And hopefully the more I have grocked the music the easier it will be able to follow the drill and pull it all into my comprehension. Personally, I could do without all the bright color contrasts in the guard (you don't have to burn out my retinas to make me see something) but that's just me and this year isn't the first time I have felt that way. Maybe I can put on sunglasses and view it through a glass, darkly.

Bottom line: I didn't get into it at first and now I do, and I am neither a music major nor a homer so maybe other "normal" people will too. :tongue:

Some interesting thoughts by all. If you haven't read Sound Machine recently, please read the comments by CFIBlood in the following thread, especially his thoughts (early in page 4) after watching the BD. Have always found his input very good.

http://www.soundmachine.org/dci/forum/view...p;sk=t&sd=a

Edited by Ghost

Some interesting thoughts by all. If you haven't read Sound Machine recently, please read the comments by CFIBlood in the following thread, especially his thoughts (early in page 4) after watching the BD. Have always found his input very good.

http://www.soundmachine.org/dci/forum/view...p;sk=t&sd=a

Thanks Ghost for the link! CFIBlood is a superb writer and analyst of drum corps. One of the best breakdowns of Through and Glass, Darkly I have read!

I really wanted to like it-they are such a good corps. But I really didn't. I was pretty bummed when I saw the mirrors because they are a huge dealbreaker with me as an audience member. I can't be the only one here who's tired of being blinded by the reflections of the stadium lighting flashing into your eyes throughout the show?

I know that there's a ton of talent in the BD's. I just can't get into the show at all. But apparently the judges just love it so what do I know?

I have only seen twice, and Can't wait to see it again on Thursday.

At first I hated it, but The more I though about the show, The more I kept coming back to Blue Devils show, and just the uniqueness of it. Once I saw it again in dallas (the second time my jaw was still open the whole show) I liked it.

It grew on me, and I am expecting me to freak out and love the show come Thursday,

All I gotta say is, Okay BD, You win, your show is Really really good

I am thrilled with the horn book. I can hear several famous old BD tunes embedded throughout the show--shades of '92 and '93--there is something of Chick Corea's avant guard days in the '70s. Our culture has produced some really wild jazz that I like a lot, its great to finally hear it break through into drum corps.

As far as the mirrors and the color guard.... to be honest, I have to remind my self to open my eyes at drum corps shows. I would really prefer they just stood in an arc and played, I don't even care about the visual aspect. Better yet, give them chairs and let them sit there like a concert band, I don't care, whatever it takes to stage the music for the audience.

Drill design SUCKS! Stinks to high heaven! And all this by one of the most musically gifted ensembles in Drum Corps! Chairs? Mirrors? Drop the props & reaffirm the Devils of old who could Play AND March! Let this be your new motto - "Win without gimmicks!". Come to think of it, that could be a motto for ALL Corps!