Who would win based on pure entertainment value?

DCI 2010 Entertainment Champion  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win DCI 2010 based purely on Entertainment value?

• The Academy
    • Blue Devils
    • Blue Knights
    • Blue Stars
    • Bluecoats
    • Boston Crusaders
    • The Cadets
    • Carolina Crown
    • Cascades
    • The Cavaliers
    • Colts
    • Crossmen
    • Glassmen
    • Jersey Surf
    • Madison Scouts
    • Mandarins
    • Pacific Crest
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Pioneer
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Spirit
    • Teal Sound
    • Troopers

There's been plenty of angst directed at BD this year, and some pretty unsavory comments made about the corps and the show. While distaste with the show may be as widespread as it was with the Cadets (I'm just referring to DCP here) the intensity of hatred has not come close. There are plenty of BD hate threads, but not the 100+ page monsters of a few years back (and those were the ones that weren't band enough to close immediately). I've not heard anyone wish bodily harm towards BD's staff and performers. No lewd comments. No dramatic proclamations by posters promising to boo BD's performance. Maybe after finals we'll get lucky enough to see some of this stuff, but I doubt it.

And, of course, no audience has yet disgraced itself by flying into a rage over some trivial offense committed by BD. Sadly, the same can't be said for the Cadets-hate era.

Edited by Rifuarian

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hands down, Madison Scouts!!!! :smile:

Yep! Madison Scouts. It's sad, because we used to get more bang for our drum corps bucks. Up until the late 90's. More corps had entertaining recognizable music that you could follow. Bb's came in and the nose dive began. I remember when Star did that Bella/Bartok show. Now everybody does those poofy modern dance moves :thumbup: . Sorry that's not marching. :lol:

I think that's exactly right. I have suggested that if BD was further down the rankings, their show would be much less an issue. But much like Star, this year's BD flys in the face of the norm. I find it overwhelmingly ironic that Star is performing at Semi's during a year of similar foaming at the mouth. I can just hear the Star Alum saying, "Hey BD, hang in there, they'll get it some day.....that's why we're here tonight!"

I don't necessarily agree that the BD hate is a direct result of them being on the top of the heap by many people. I will concede that maybe perhaps it IS the reason for SOME and their animosity and hate, but I'm not necessarily buying or convinced that is the total end all reason in this argument.

My personal feeling toward BD this year really doesn't matter. BUT for those that want to know..I secretly hated them all year until I saw them in Allentown live. Now don't get me wrong..I wasn't ready to throw babies at the show, but it wasn't really as bad as I've read on here or even MY viewing on fan network. I will add (extremely small sample) that the majority of people around me were not very fond of BD this year...I actually asked them...BUT that doesn't mean that there are more people out there who love them either.

There's been plenty of angst directed at BD this year, and some pretty unsavory comments made about the corps and the show. While distaste with the show may be as widespread as it was with the Cadets (I'm just referring to DCP here) the intensity of hatred has not come close. There are plenty of BD hate threads, but not the 100+ page monsters of a few years back (and those were the ones that weren't band enough to close immediately). I've not heard anyone wish bodily harm towards BD's staff and performers. No lewd comments. No dramatic proclamations by posters promising to boo BD's performance. Maybe after finals we'll get lucky enough to see some of this stuff, but I doubt it.

And, of course, no audience has yet disgraced itself by flying into a rage over some trivial offense committed by BD. Sadly, the same can't be said for the Cadets-hate era.

Oh those were the days.......oh wait no they weren't.

Madison dances too much for me...

KWAZY! :thumbup:

Yes.... but the G7 corps are ranked 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th.

And if you took Madison away I bet most of their votes would go to other G7 corps. I think part of the huge fascination with Madison this year is..... they are the Madison Scouts and they're "back". If they had been performing this type of show at this achievement level for the last few years, I don't think they would get the votes in this poll quite as easily. I'm not saying they still wouldn't be in 1st place... but probably by not this great a margin.

Also...... the Madison Scouts are a top act in DCI. It just so happens the idiotic G7 proposal was drafted at a time when they were "down." If Madison continues in this new (old) direction, then I bet in a few years when Hoppy tries to draft another G-whatever proposal he will try to include the Scouts as well. And I am pretty sure they would never agree to something like that.

So in conclusion, yes, it is wonderful that the Scouts are getting this much love...... it makes the G7 look more idiotic all the time.

I think you don't know much about George Hopkins feelings about the Madison Scouts (and vice versa). I think one of the reasons his proposal was rushed in with all of the typos was because he was a little worried the new staff might make them a player in his small group. Why give a brand new DCI plan a whole year to possibly work AND have to include Madison who will be voting against him inside his group of 7 or 8?

Edited by OICMR corps

Yep! Madison Scouts. It's sad, because we used to get more bang for our drum corps bucks. Up until the late 90's. More corps had entertaining recognizable music that you could follow. Bb's came in and the nose dive began. I remember when Star did that Bella/Bartok show. Now everybody does those poofy modern dance moves :thumbup: . Sorry that's not marching. :lol:

:worthy::smile::worthy::thumbup::worthy::thumbup:

I think you don't know much about George Hopkins feelings about the Madison Scouts (and vice versa). I think one of the reasons his proposal was rushed in with all of the typos was because he was a little worried the new staff might make them a player in his small group. Why give a brand new DCI plan a whole year to possibly work AND have to include Madison who will be voting against him inside his group of 7 or 8?

You are right.... I don't know about his feelings towards the Madison Scouts.... care to enlighten us?

Are you saying he doesn't want them to be a power or a top act in DCI? George, from all my knowledge seems to be a well intentioned guy, so I don't understand this. The rest of your post is slightly confusing.

Madison Scouts :thumbup::smile::lol:

BTW, I think BD's show is awesome this year, and I'm not always a fan of theirs. The best designed, IMO, well performed & it's entertaining despite it's craziness.

Edited by garfield_cadets