Who would win based on pure entertainment value?

DCI 2010 Entertainment Champion  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win DCI 2010 based purely on Entertainment value?

• The Academy
    • Blue Devils
    • Blue Knights
    • Blue Stars
    • Bluecoats
    • Boston Crusaders
    • The Cadets
    • Carolina Crown
    • Cascades
    • The Cavaliers
    • Colts
    • Crossmen
    • Glassmen
    • Jersey Surf
    • Madison Scouts
    • Mandarins
    • Pacific Crest
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Pioneer
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Spirit
    • Teal Sound
    • Troopers

BK 0 ?

we have what... maybe 250 voters in this poll ? There was more than 200 fans in one small section of Allentown. Don't sweat it. The Blue Knights have been very well received this year by tens of THOUSANDS of fans in their 30 or so shows. The same with other Corps . The DCI standard bearer Blue Devils have been getting lukewarm, golf clap like receptions all across the country this year. Very good scores. But not so good audience receptions. Very tepid audience reactions to their show. That's the reality. There can be no spin.. small sample poll or no small sample poll.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, I have. I think the 2006-2007 Cadets got it as bad, if not worse. (Especially the 2006 corps.)

Mike

I agree Cadets got it just as bad if NOT worse. There's no poor little ol BD here. Others have received it just as much.

Edited by Perry S

we have what... maybe 250 voters in this poll ? There was more than 200 fans in one small section of Allentown. Don't sweat it. The Blue Knights have been very well received this year by tens of THOUSANDS of fans in their 30 or so shows. The same with other Corps . The DCI standard bearer Blue Devils have been getting lukewarm, golf clap like receptions all across the country this year. Very good scores. But not so good audience receptions. Very tepid audience reactions to their show. That's the reality. There can be no spin.. small sample poll or no small sample poll.

Also I agree. I CAN look across a stadium. I HAVE NOT seen any sort of outright going off on the BD performances I was at. Very lukewarm.

I don't think so at all. The 2006-2007 shows amy have gotten worse responses at the actual shows but nothing like the hatred BD has this year.

It seemed on DCP, many almost felt "sorry" for those 06-07 Cadets corps and they were disappointed by certain design decisions made. But this year it is more pure anger (maybe because BD is stomping the field competitively). There is so much rage, not only at the Blue Devils, but at the judges and the judging system. Look how many people have come here and created an account just to dump on them.

Again I disagree. Some of the Cadets dump Fests were literally 100s of pages of back and forth and like one poster said hints at Bodily harm and very lewd comments. It was very gnarly. VERY.

Anyone can fast forward to the end of the Madison Scouts show in Allentown on Fan Network and watch for themselves what the neutral fans of Allentown thought of the Scouts performance... then fast forward and listen to the Allentown fans response to the Blue Devils finish. It's all there. Nobody needs a poll of a couple of hundred DCP'ers.

While the Scouts certainly got the biggest post-show crowd response at Allentown, and quite likely would be the favorite of a truly "neutral" audience, if such a thing exists, they were clearly already the favorite of more than a few fans there, receiving more cheers than any other corps when they were announced upon entering the field -- at least that's how I heard it. And there were seemed to be some Madison camp followers in the crowd, while the Blue Knights, who were reported here as having been a fan favorite early in the season, and who seem to be fairly evenly matched to the Scouts in artistry and entertainment, had no such support. (I like both shows very much.) In Massillon five days earlier, there were definitely a few die-hard Scouts fans near me who screamed at every least musical hit -- it was very forced, and I heard nothing so unnatural for any other corps.

So far in the poll, for "pure entertainment value", the Madison Scouts have more votes here on Monday afternoon than the Blue Devils, The Cadets, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown... combined.

While Madison (now at 63) still has a comfortable lead for first, those five corps now total 71 (BD 27, Cadets 11, Crown 14, Phantom 13, Vanguard 6). Though it could yet change back!

While the Scouts certainly got the biggest post-show crowd response at Allentown, and quite likely would be the favorite of a truly "neutral" audience, if such a thing exists, they were clearly already the favorite of more than a few fans there, receiving more cheers than any other corps when they were announced upon entering the field -- at least that's how I heard it. And there were seemed to be some Madison camp followers in the crowd, while the Blue Knights, who were reported here as having been a fan favorite early in the season, and who seem to be fairly evenly matched to the Scouts in artistry and entertainment, had no such support. (I like both shows very much.) In Massillon five days earlier, there were definitely a few die-hard Scouts fans near me who screamed at every least musical hit -- it was very forced, and I heard nothing so unnatural for any other corps.

Some of the fans cheering when Madison were announced no doubt had already seen the Corps and were excited they were about to see it again. Others had heard how entertaining they were, and cheered with the announcement of the Corps in anticipation of receiving an entertaining Corps. Some cheered because they they are Madison fans come hell or high water. But it's unfair in my opinion to compare the audience reception of the Blue Knights to that of the Madison Scouts. It's more fair to compare the audience reception of the 2010 Blue Knights to that of the Blue Knights of the last few years. Here is where one can see the improved audience response to their shows compared to the recent past. That said, it is a striking commentary when a currently ranked 10th place Madison Scouts Corps is consistentlyl getting a better audience response all across the country than the 2 year undefeated DCI standard bearer Blue Devils are.

For everyone who questions the judging system...... let's examine this poll even further:

As of now (1:51 a.m. EDT on Aug 10), the top 4 in this poll are:

1.Madison (30.4%)

2.Cavaliers (13.8%)

3.Blue Devils (12.4%)

4.Bluecoats (11.5%)

No other corps has more than 8%......... And what are the current "rankings" of those four corps?....... yes Madison is in 11th, but the other three are ranked 1st-3rd. To me, it seems the judging system does a pretty good job of awarding what entertains the fans.

Madison Scouts :thumbup::smile::lol:

BTW, I think BD's show is awesome this year, and I'm not always a fan of theirs. The best designed, IMO, well performed & it's entertaining despite it's craziness.

Agree completely!

I think that's exactly right. I have suggested that if BD was further down the rankings, their show would be much less an issue. But much like Star, this year's BD flys in the face of the norm. I find it overwhelmingly ironic that Star is performing at Semi's during a year of similar foaming at the mouth. I can just hear the Star Alum saying, "Hey BD, hang in there, they'll get it some day.....that's why we're here tonight!"

Please, please don't try and equate Star and BD. Star did some of the most crowd-pandering shows ever, (see 85 and 92, Disney and America.) I mean, come on, how do you not get into that. And you keep making the same argument about the placement. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE PLACEMENT!!!!!!!!!! Look, other people said it much better. It's a polarizing show. It could be in 9th place, doesn't mean I'd like it or dislike it anymore. It's a show that just doesn't do it for me. I've given it many chances, gone in with an open mind again and again, but it still doesn't float my boat, sorry. I do have tons of respect for what they're doing, like always, no one does what the Blue Devils do better than them, which is make whatever they're doing look simple and easy, but I could have lived without this show. Just one opinion.