Who would win based on pure entertainment value?

DCI 2010 Entertainment Champion  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win DCI 2010 based purely on Entertainment value?

• The Academy
    • Blue Devils
    • Blue Knights
    • Blue Stars
    • Bluecoats
    • Boston Crusaders
    • The Cadets
    • Carolina Crown
    • Cascades
    • The Cavaliers
    • Colts
    • Crossmen
    • Glassmen
    • Jersey Surf
    • Madison Scouts
    • Mandarins
    • Pacific Crest
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Pioneer
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Spirit
    • Teal Sound
    • Troopers

I have stated before: if it were left 100% to fans, Madison would win every year regardless of show.

I disagree completely with this. It is the show, not the Corps.

Madison Scouts would not have won this poll, let alone by this runaway margin, in any other previous year this decade.

You may be right, although it was interesting to read, in the long essay on DCI's history in A History of Drum & Bugle Corps, that Madison won a "fans' entertainment poll" six years running, 1994-1999 (beating some shows I find absolutely thrilling, like Phantom Regiment's "Defiant Heart" in 1996 and Santa Clara Vanguard's "Inventions for a New Millennium" in 1999). Madison's final judged rankings those years were 6th, 4th, 6th, 5th, 6th, 6th. The book goes on to discuss the 1999 poll; I added the number in brackets to show where the judges ranked the corps:

This year's poll did not necessarily reflect placement, as second place went to Spirit of Atlanta [16th] and third was a tie between Cavaliers [3rd] and Magic of Orlando [14th].

Some of the top-ranking corps slipped down in the list -- Blue Devils [1st] eighth, Cadets of Bergen County [4th] fourteenth and Santa Clara Vanguard [1st] tying for sixteenth with the Blue Knights [7th]. Again, this probably reflects the general audience appreciation for recognizable music and dislike for esoteric programs.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the fact that SCV came in tied for sixteenth in fan appreciation in 1999 is more than enough conclusive proof that we should not let fans decide who wins.

Madison Scouts...by far.

I believe that the Scout's shows have, throughout their history, been so entertaining because they have made it their mission to entertain the fans.

Everything else is secondary to that premise.

So the judges scored us way below where we thought we should be.....O.K.

So we admittidly weren't as clean as those other corps...O.K.

So there's probably some people in the stands who didn't like this show, or that uniform change...O.K

But....after all else is said and done, the Madison Scouts have been true to the crowds in the stands.

They have been ENTERTAINING !!! :thumbup:

I find it overwhelmingly ironic that Star is performing at Semi's during a year of similar foaming at the mouth. I can just hear the Star Alum saying, "Hey BD, hang in there, they'll get it some day.....that's why we're here tonight!"

You hit it on the head. Cadets were awesome in 93 but its Star that everyone talks about nearly 20 years later. People will say the same about BD 10, only difference is they should (#### well better) win.

I love BD this year and I also think its the best show EVER. Honestly forget the mirrors, they are an affect that only works (100%) from down low for god sake. A large part of the effect is when the corps appears from behind the mirrors. For me its the music and the terrifying amount of things going on at the same time at such a scary level of excellence.

On the other Coin, I threw babies for Madison in Atlanta. They were more than entertaining, they were primal in ways that noone else is this year.

We dont need these corps to be the same, its the differences that we are drawn to. For those of you concerned that other corps will attempt what BD has done this year...seen in Star 93 look alikes lately? DCI staffs are smarter than that.

Edited by devsabre

A large part of the effect is what you see but what you can't when the crops is behind them.

Funny typo. Hmm... how about a corps that does an s.f. theme, with crop circles?

Or--if your favorite corps were a crop, which would they be? Would this year's Cadets be corn? Or maize for Pacific Crest?

if your favorite corps were a crop, which would they be?

INT would be barley.

Edited by BRASSO

I would say Madison is most popular with the legacy fans (e.g. the fans that have been around the activity for a number of years...who most likely remember when Madison was the "crowd favorite") This is almost like nostalgia seeing the Scouts come out with a crowd pleasing show again like they did throughout the late 80's early 90's...but with a twist....their vehicle is a show they performed in the 70's.

I DISAGREE that "OLD SCHOOL > NEW SCHOOL" because quite simply the only thing old school about scouts show is the music.....and really, can anyone ever say that Rhapsody in Blue is "old school" It is performed more than 90% of the music ever composed every year (and I just made that number up...but it's pretty popular). You can't say that the modern dance Jim Moore choreographed is "old school". In fact I think most Madison 75 fans are having a hard time with that this year?

What I love is the powerful hornline! That's just good old "Star pedagogy" BREATHE DAH ########! (...oh yeah on Bb's) Not old school.

I did not like Scouts on VOD when I first saw this this year....I was underwhelmed because I expected so much after the offseason announcements. When I saw them live in ATL, I was BLOWN AWAY! Awesome show! ......in contrast....I find 1975 boring. Could it be because I'm watching it on DVD? Possibly. but more likely the fact that it's still "old school symmetry" and lack of "modern" showmanship.

For this poll, I voted against my favorite corps, Crown, whom I LOVE this year, and voted for Cavies, because they are entertaining and completely modern and are what I BELIEVE is the future of drumcorps (not the Blue Devils) ....a mesh of great musicianship, showmanship, and technology all woven together to provide a total show experience (#CUE World Series of Drum Corps theme music by Jay Kennedy)

I would say Madison is most popular with the legacy fans (e.g. the fans that have been around the activity for a number of years...who most likely remember when Madison was the "crowd favorite") This is almost like nostalgia seeing the Scouts come out with a crowd pleasing show again like they did throughout the late 80's early 90's...but with a twist....their vehicle is a show they performed in the 70's.

I DISAGREE that "OLD SCHOOL > NEW SCHOOL" because quite simply the only thing old school about scouts show is the music.....and really, can anyone ever say that Rhapsody in Blue is "old school" It is performed more than 90% of the music ever composed every year (and I just made that number up...but it's pretty popular). You can't say that the modern dance Jim Moore choreographed is "old school". In fact I think most Madison 75 fans are having a hard time with that this year?

What I love is the powerful hornline! That's just good old "Star pedagogy" BREATHE DAH ########! (...oh yeah on Bb's) Not old school.

I did not like Scouts on VOD when I first saw this this year....I was underwhelmed because I expected so much after the offseason announcements. When I saw them live in ATL, I was BLOWN AWAY! Awesome show! ......in contrast....I find 1975 boring. Could it be because I'm watching it on DVD? Possibly. but more likely the fact that it's still "old school symmetry" and lack of "modern" showmanship.

For this poll, I voted against my favorite corps, Crown, whom I LOVE this year, and voted for Cavies, because they are entertaining and completely modern and are what I BELIEVE is the future of drumcorps (not the Blue Devils) ....a mesh of great musicianship, showmanship, and technology all woven together to provide a total show experience (#CUE World Series of Drum Corps theme music by Jay Kennedy)

I'm confused, how are the Blue Devils not this?