The Kids work hard, but I still don't like it.

SIGH.............

What I miss most about drum & bugle corps ?

Once upon a time I could bring my administration to shows where they could actually understand why music programs were not only important in the schools, but FOR the school. It was a time when even the clueless could feel goosebumps and the energy produced on the field without needing a 4 hour briefing before viewing. I wonder how many people in the stands only attend because it's "THE" marching event to be seen at ?

Yes, I like and appreciate whats on the field today, However, not all school systems are the type that will support a BOA type band program. I would dare say in most cases the principal/administration wants a band that is more about public relations and support of the football team, not a fine arts program on a football field. They want something THEY can "feel" and cheer about. As DCI has moved to this higher level of artistic expression, I fear we have closed the door on support from some areas of education.

Drum Corps has become something wonderful to behold, but only for a select few. I love and appreciate high brow, but it's not going to help me sell music education to people who are not musically educated. Drum Corps USED to be a great tool for seling the average person. I have given up on bringing band parents and boosters to shows because theres little they can relate to.

While DCI has become the moving billboard for the instrument and uniform industry, it has risen so far above the average, musically uneducated persons ability to grasp and understand in one viewing that "for the most part" it does not help in the struggle we face to keep interest in many band programs.

Once upon a time ( 90's ) a principal could view most of the top 12 and at least have a grasp of what was being presented and a hunger to have a " band like THAT", and with his excitment came funding and approval for many things

I don't think theres an answer that will make anyone 100% happy,

I've made the decision to go it alone and enjoy what "I" get out of it for as long as I "get it".

I could care less about the key of instruments or what type of heads on the drums, I just wish there were more shows I could get the average person to enjoy so that we would have larger support. I miss bringing new people to shows and having them GUSH excitement for weeks after.

Some may say it's not DCI's job to educate the masses, I say DCI is missing the boat to growth and financial future by not appealing to a wider audiance.

How do we make that happen ?

Edited by The Other Mike

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SIGH.............

What I miss most about drum & bugle corps ?

Once upon a time I could bring my administration to shows where they could actually understand why music programs were not only important in the schools, but FOR the school. It was a time when even the clueless could feel goosebumps and the energy produced on the field without needing a 4 hour briefing before viewing. I wonder how many people in the stands only attend because it's "THE" marching event to be seen at ?

Yes, I like and appreciate whats on the field today, However, not all school systems are the type that will support a BOA type band program. I would dare say in most cases the principal/administration wants a band that is more about public relations and support of the football team, not a fine arts program on a football field. They want something THEY can "feel" and cheer about. As DCI has moved to this higher level of artistic expression, I fear we have closed the door on support from some areas of education.

Drum Corps has become something wonderful to behold, but only for a select few. I love and appreciate high brow, but it's not going to help me sell music education to people who are not musically educated. Drum Corps USED to be a great tool for seling the average person. I have given up on bringing band parents and boosters to shows because theres little they can relate to.

While DCI has become the moving billboard for the instrument and uniform industry, it has risen so far above the average, musically uneducated persons ability to grasp and understand in one viewing that "for the most part" it does not help in the struggle we face to keep interest in many band programs.

Once upon a time ( 90's ) a principal could view most of the top 12 and at least have a grasp of what was being presented and a hunger to have a " band like THAT", and with his excitment came funding and approval for many things

I don't think theres an answer that will make anyone 100% happy,

I've made the decision to go it alone and enjoy what "I" get out of it for as long as I "get it".

I could care less about the key of instruments or what type of heads on the drums, I just wish there were more shows I could get the average person to enjoy so that we would have larger support. I miss bringing new people to shows and having them GUSH excitement for weeks after.

Some may say it's not DCI's job to edcuate the masses, I say DCI is missing the boat to growth and financial future by not appealing to a wider audiance.

How do we make that happen ?

Could you explain to me what is so hard to understand about any of the shows of the top 12 this year?

99% of this thread is all perception. I'll agree with the poster that said "the golden age is the era where you fell in love with the activity."

One point I simply CAN NOT agree with is that G bugles were hands down louder!

The first year I marched was 2nd year that Bb horns were allowed in competition. Most Div I corps were still on Gs. Having a point of comparison with corps going on back-to-back that were G or Bb over the years I can not say that any one key was consistently louder than the other. I never heard Cadets on G bugles live (they went Bb in 2000?) but I have always known that hornline to deliver the volume. Madison has always had some sizzle and that didn't change when they went Bb. I don't think I've heard more heart-stopping intensity than from 08 PR and that was a Bb hornline.

If brass staffs teach the members to play loud, they will play loud. Playing loud (with quality) isn't something you just turn on. I played louder in drum corps than I would have ever imagined or considered playing in any concert or marching band i was ever in. It's all about staying within the ensemble. None of us were ever pushed to that volume level in our school music programs so we never had to develop that skill at that level. I don't think the key has a thing to do with it. Brass fundamentals are brass fundamentals.

The "dino" crowd talks about how "music was first and visual was second" but a lot of those old hornlines may have been loud, but their sound quality was not so hot. I'm not music historian, but I think the advent of the valves was a really good thing for brass horns. Hornlines of the last 15 or so years have much better characteristic brass sound.

Live drum corps is always better than recorded drum corps. And recording devices "in the day" probably didn't catch the same things you heard in real life. Having said that, I am sure the dino crowd has a different memory of this time than any recording could ever convey.

There is no diversity in Drum Corp today. Every Corp today plays the same type of abstract forgettable music. Corps dont have identity today like they did back in the day. Everyone sounds the same.

If you think that there's no difference between BK, Madison, SVC, BD, Phantom and BC this year...I'm not sure what you're listening to. But everyone has their own musical opinion. The only point I would like to make on the subject is: What other musical activity after decades of existence is asked to stay where they are and not make any changes in style or form? It sounds like you would prefer to have the corps play the same music and march the same drill as the corps in the 70's and 80's, sort of like a "live" copy.

If G bugles are so much louder how come the Bridgemen alumni corps wasn't louder than most of the corps that went on before them? They appeared to have similar numbers in the hornline but the volume wasn't what I would have expected considering the complaints about Bbs vs Gs here

it would be interesting to see how many fans stay and leave. Do a study at 6 shows all over the country for 3 years. Ask how many did come back to the show thier at, How many years they knew of drum corps, would they come back next year and why, yesor no. And of course how they heard of the activity.

This something should have been done years ago. Its basic marketing 101

If G bugles are so much louder how come the Bridgemen alumni corps wasn't louder than most of the corps that went on before them? They appeared to have similar numbers in the hornline but the volume wasn't what I would have expected considering the complaints about Bbs vs Gs here

I am not a proponent of the G bugles (they are awful pieces of metal), but it's certainly not fair to compare an alumni corps' volume production to in shape 18-22 year olds.

Or this year's Bluecoats. Go listen to the source material (which is one concert band piece, one movie piece and one pop tune) - they adapt it very nicely. And fully! Or this year's Blue Knights - Marc Sylvester descibed in detail on DCI Field Pass how they picked the music first, purely off of tunes they liked. Or this year's Phantom Regiment, which is wholly taken from one piece by the guy who wrote the music to Band of Brothers (and lifted some of the arrangement to put in there).

Not *every* modern show is a WGI-style ADD mismash of musical and visual ideas - there are a lot of "classic" drum corps shows even this year that aren't replaying tunes from 35 years ago.

Mike

agreed. and IMO, if another corps were not running away with the scores, I think complaints would be down

Could you explain to me what is so hard to understand about any of the shows of the top 12 this year?

Well, I'll have to ask an average musically uneducated person for their opinion ( as what my post was about)

AGAIN I love what is being produced but it's a hard sell to people who lack a musical and / or marching backround. If you go back to the OP and look closer, I believe his frustration is much like "joe average" without a music backround and a short attention span.

( no offense to the OP intended )

I am not a proponent of the G bugles (they are awful pieces of metal), but it's certainly not fair to compare an alumni corps' volume production to in shape 18-22 year olds.

Perhaps, and I do take that into consideration, but the junior corps are also having to worry a lot more about tone quality and intonation than the alumni corps so I figured that might even things out a little more.

Also, none of this is meant to be a bash towards the Bridgemen, they are entertaining every year at Allentown