The Kids work hard, but I still don't like it.

Well, I'll have to ask an average musically uneducated person for their opinion ( as what my post was about)

AGAIN I love what is being produced but it's a hard sell to people who lack a musical and / or marching backround. If you go back to the OP and look closer, I believe his frustration is much like "joe average" without a music backround and a short attention span.

( no offense to the OP intended )

Well, my girlfriend (a PT student who knows nothing of music) went with me to Atlanta and completely understood what each show was about (except Cavies). Does that count?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few random thoughts.

Would you not go to a Rolling Stones or Rush concert because they are still playing the same old songs? Probably not if you like their music. Their fans are not upset that they are not changing with the times.

Drum corps is nothing like it was when DCI was born. I still go to shows mainly to talk to old friends, but I could not sit through an entire show these days. I used to be able to take non-drum corps friends to a show, I tried that a few years ago and found that it's really hard to explain the story board of each corps as they try to tell an 11 minute story. They were not entertained, but they are not music majors.

One drum corps friend that no longer attends DCI shows told me that what DCI did to drum corps would be like baseball adding 2 more outs to an inning and letting the batter have 5 strikes.

I think the cost of corps with just the pit equipment makes it impossible to even consider starting a new corps.

You know up through last year I felt that the hornlines were losing volume over the years from when I had marched.

But this year I went to Allentown for the first time with my new hearing aids and I have to say it wasn't the hornlines that were losing volume, it was my ears that were losing the ability to hear the hornlines.

The hornlines of today are just as loud as when I marched, and for all those older FMM's who think otherwise you might just want to go and get a hearing test cause it might just be your ears and not the hornlines that have declined.

Well, my girlfriend (a PT student who knows nothing of music) went with me to Atlanta and completely understood what each show was about (except Cavies). Does that count?

Sure, but would you not consider her to be the exception to the rule, or do you consider her to be just average ?

( thats NOT what I mean and you know it)

If G bugles are so much louder how come the Bridgemen alumni corps wasn't louder than most of the corps that went on before them? They appeared to have similar numbers in the hornline but the volume wasn't what I would have expected considering the complaints about Bbs vs Gs here

they had fewer bodies and no low end amplified

Sure, but would you not consider her to be the exception to the rule, or do you consider her to be just average ?

( thats NOT what I mean and you know it)

HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT MY WOMAN THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: totally just kidding.

As far musical understanding goes, I would consider her average. I think if she gets the gist of the show, most people could.

HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT MY WOMAN THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hehe: totally just kidding.

As far musical understanding goes, I would consider her average. I think if she gets the gist of the show, most people could.

Ok, I guess the people I used to attend shows with are just stupid, heck, even I understand most of the shows.

But of course, I'm an expert because I read DCP !!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

( and I guess you could say, "I" speak for the stupid people in the audiance )

Ok, I guess the people I used to attend shows with are just stupid, heck, even I understand most of the shows.

But of course, I'm an expert because I read DCP !!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

( and I guess you could say, "I" speak for the stupid people in the audience )

LOL I don't think you're stupid. I have no idea if my girlfriend speaks for the whole audience, or if I do. Just two people at a show.

I think there's a generation gap in how the shows come across to people...younger people today have grown up with rapid-fire commercials, quick scene changes and cuts in films and TV, and so on...may make them better able to keep up with all of the visual stuff going on in modern corps shows.