The Kids work hard, but I still don't like it.

When you belittle what people are doing now don't be surprised when they don't show you respect for what you did either.

BTW, I just had to go look at your profile and what it tells me is, you never really marched with anyone, right? And you are too young to remember the 70's, 80's or really the 90's. So you really don't have a reference point, but more importantly, you don't know what WE are talking about.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I want to respond to this one. I've been around drum corps for about 25 years personally both part of and as just a fan. Though I'm not necessarily happy with every change that has transpired over the years, I honestly don't think that the state of drum corps is as bad as you describe it here. Why can you just look for something to like instead of all this negative hate?

I didn't think it was negative hate. Your persepctive.

Your honor, I'd like to exclude Perspective Juror #TooMello from the Jury.

You read what you wanted, saw what you wanted, and now have posted what you wanted.

Garbage in = Garbage Out

Nice critique, not really. Mean spirited comment.

Madison Scouts, WOW. Best crowd reaction of both nights in Allentown. The crowd was on their feet at least twice before the end and jumped up prior to the last note. Someone in the area around me said "too bad DCI doesn't understand, or embrace this kind of reaction.....at least not on the scoresheet". Have to agree with that comment, but then again crowd appeal hasn't had much to do with corps placement for a long time in DCI. The kids understand this of course, because they have been taught that demand level and perfection of technique are the goals, not to entertain. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. Having said that, as mentioned there were other corps that really impressed me. I can't even remember them all, so it must have been at least 1/2 doz, like Boston, Blue Star, Crown, Phantom, Cadets.

I agree, Madison had the best and most ovations of both nights. Might this partly be because Madison "is back"? Probably, but more so because that show was a bullseye shot at fan-love. All the people jumping to their feet weren't Madison alums, many looked to be young enough not to remember the glory days, many were homers of other corps. I will say this as I was at Allentown for both nights, they won the recognition of the crowd, and the crowd showed it. When the scores were announced Madison got an extended standing ovation. The announcer waited untill the applause stopped to give the next score. The Scouts DMs acknowledge the crowd. I hope other design staffs, administrations and members noticed this. I really hope some corps members asked their staff why it happened and "what can we do to make the crowd love us like that?".

I also enjoyed most shows on both nights. I found something positive about each. Some of the marching, intricated design and body movements were awesome. The thing that bugged me most were amps that were to loud and music I couldn't grab ahold of mentally (chopped up, dischord, where does it start or stop? ugh), but those were only a few negatives in a great show.

Madison had plenty of modern moves, plenty of amps, plenty of props......they married old and new. It can be done.

Edited by jonnyboy

they had fewer bodies and no low end amplified

They were a couple contras short but by my count they had 24 sopranos, 10 mellos, 8 contras, and 20ish baritones which is about the same breakdown as a typical 64 member hornline.

Edit: and one of the common complaints on here is that the new 72 member Bb hornlines can't even come close to matching the old 64 member G lines

Edited by dbc03

I know, here it comes, blast me... but all this hype about how wonderful all these new changes are, I wasn't expecting shows that just about put me to sleep.

Welcome to the Loyal Order of Drum Corps Dinosaurs! We've been expecting you....

BTW, I just had to go look at your profile and what it tells me is, you never really marched with anyone, right? And you are too young to remember the 70's, 80's or really the 90's. So you really don't have a reference point, but more importantly, you don't know what WE are talking about.

Couldn't you say, on the same token, since you didn't march in the 2000's decade (like me), that you don't have a reference point for today's drum corps?

I marched I just don't have it listed in my profile or signature for various reasons.

I never saw a drum corps show live until 2000, but I've seen enough videos of the 70s and 80s and 90s to know that I find the majority of the old stuff (lets say pre-1990) terribly boring and not very entertaining with very few exceptions. I enjoy shows today much more than old shows.

Also, you need to cut back on the condescension towards people who haven't marched. Marching has nothing to do with whether or not you find shows entertaining which is what people are talking about in this thread.

modern corps are NOT as loud as G hornlines were.... SPL meter does NOT lie.

80 multi key horns arevery close to 48 G horns in volume........................

( I love to stir the pot )