The World Series of Drum Corps

It is almost like the death of DCM in '03...maybe a new organization needs to be created...one with the best interests of the activity in mind. DCVI has lost it's way, now I am not supporting the greedy 7, I am saying a drastic overhaul may be necessary.

Well, a drastic overhaul has occured within DCI. No more do we have the g7 on the board of directors manipulating everthing and using DCI as the convient scapegoat for policies they themselves have pushed through and created. Perhapse with a new board we will have greater representation of the entire membership of DCI, not just that of the g7.

I just hope the new board and other non g7 members of DCI continue to have the guts to stand up to and not be intimidated any longer by the tantrums, anger and fear tactics of the g7 corps.

Edited by brians

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's my hope that now the other 16 will not just be sheep at the meetings and speak up

The emegency meeting in June called by the non G- 7 Corps....and their subsequent vote for a brand new BOD..... in concert with the unanimous vote of confidence a few days ago by the BOD in DCI Executive Director Acheson..... speaks louder than words, Jeff. These new DCI Board Members did not get to be selected Corps Directors of their Corps because they have the personalities of sheep, and don't know how to speak up when it's called for. And the other non BOD members are Corps Directors who'll be more inclined to speak up now, knowing how some in their midst wanted to essentially kill them off. This was a wake up call to them that there are some very nasty Corps Directors in their midst that need to be continually watched for future schemes they might have up their sleeves. For all they know, the G-7 are stlll meeting in secret behind their backs plotting another Coup attempt with another selfish vision meant to perpetuate only themselves and at the expense of all the other member Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

Well, a drastic overhaul has occured within DCI.

I tend to disagree. I don't believe a "drastic" overhaul has occurred WRT DCI.

Out of the 9 total BOD members, there were only 4 "G7" Directors (Glasgow, Hopkins, Fiedler and Valenzuala) on the DCI BOD before "all of the action" (ouster, re-appointment, resignations). The "G7" was in a minority on the board, and ergo could have been out-voted at any time.

Yes, there are no more G7 directors on the BOD, but as far as I'm concerned the "jury is still out" on how drastic this change is.

IMHO, a "drastic change" would be for the DCI BOD to re-organize such that there are 9 member of the BOD with NONE of them being corps directors. I think that no matter what, there will never be impartiality on the part of DCI unless all of the corps directors are out, and a board consisting of professional business people (who are also passionate and knowledgeable about the activity) are seated, and can focus on the needs of DCI without the influence of any drum corps.

The emegency meeting in June called by the non G- 7 Corps....and their subsequent vote for a brand new BOD..... in concert with the unanimous vote of confidence a few days ago by the BOD in DCI Executive Director Acheson..... speaks louder than words, Jeff. These new DCI Board Members did not get to be selected Corps Directors of their Corps because they have the personalities of sheep, and don't know how to speak up when it's called for. And the other non BOD members are Corps Directors who'll be more inclined to speak up now, knowing how some in their midst wanted to essentially kill them off. This was a wake up call to them that there are some very nasty Corps Directors in their midst that need to be continually watched for future schemes they might have up their sleeves. For all they know, the G-7 are stlll meeting in secret behind their backs plotting another Coup attempt with another selfish vision meant to perpetuate only themselves and at the expense of all the other member Corps.

I have no doubt there won't be more attempts to change it for certain groups to the advantage over others. I'm just wondering how many will be a part of it.

I have no doubt there won't be more attempts to change it for certain groups to the advantage over others. I'm just wondering how many will be a part of it.

Yes.... If nothing else, this should make for an interesting off season, Jeff Ream.

Today I was reminded of a Ronald Reagan quote that seems very appropriate to this discussion:

"The more the Planner's plans fail, the more the Planners plan."

Add this to mine: "You can turn the stripes on a zebra horizontal and it's still a zebra.", and you get to the conclusion that we'll definately be revisiting this issue in the (near?) future.

Don't turn your back on the wolf in sheep's clothing...

My Bad on the typo

I am not just saying change the name...but alter the organization to do what is best for our beloved activity.

Again, not siding with the greedy 7, but maybe a new organization is necessary. New structure and what not

I think we agree ... my DCU point falls right in line with yours.

IMHO, a "drastic change" would be for the DCI BOD to re-organize such that there are 9 member of the BOD with NONE of them being corps directors.

That is what I have been calling for, for over a year now.

Find a board with the proper skills and experience for the job. Find a board with skills in marketing, promotion, and finance. That is the skills that the leadership of this activity need. How many of the current board members have backgrounds in this area? I don't know, but I would imagine that most or all of them have backgrounds in music and music education - not finance and marketing.

Let me make this point clear: The board should not be made up of people with no knowledge of marching music. They should have some understanding of the product their organization is producing, which in DCI's case, is marching music. This true of any board. But the board is responsible for the overall direction of the organization. For that, they must be able to build and design a business plan. This includes marketing, finance, and operations plans, which have to be integrated together. Then the paid staff can execute the business plan. (This is true, whether your organization is selling marching music, cans of soup, jet fighters, whatever.)

Most of these corps directors cannot effectively finance or market their own corps - so why do we entrust them to run the entire activity? They have got to go, and and they should be replaced, with talented people who understand sports and entertainment marketing/promotion/finance. Said to say it, but regardless of how the G7 episode plays out, this change has to be enacted. Its time has come. Truth be told, it should have been done a long time ago.

That is what is needed, to take this activity in a new direction.

Edited by oldschooldbc

• 2 weeks later...
Drum corps shows right now start slow and end big. That might work for those of us who are already hooked, but it's not very helpful when we try to show others what all the fuss is about. I'm reminded of fellow DCPer garfield's anecdote from earlier this year. He brought four friends to the show which he runs - none of them stayed through to the halfway point. They sat through sweltering heat to see a senior corps performing its first show, a middle-of-the-pack Open Class corps, a corps in its very first year of World Class, and at best they stuck around long enough to see the Madison Scouts. They left at halftime, and missed seeing the Blue Stars, the Bluecoats, the Cavaliers and Carolina Crown. Imagine if his four friends had attended a show that started out with those final four, and closed with The Cadets and Blue Devils. Maybe they still wouldn't have stuck around, but I have to think the odds would have been much increased.

So I'm obviously re-reading some old posts looking for words of wisdom (and found a few :thumbup: ), but it dawns on me...

My four friends had no idea what to expect (they stayed thru BS, but swore Madison won, and missed Crown, Cavies, and 'Coats). But, in your vision of the G7, Matt, would they have stayed for the Cadets and BD? Despite me telling them before-hand that "the best come at the end" they chose to leave. Would they have stayed for Cadets and BD in the G7 world even if I told them the "best are at the end"?

I doubt it. I think WE would stay because we know Cadets and BD, but those names would mean no more to a n00Bie than Cavies, Crown, or 'Coats. They didn't say they left early because they were bored (it was the heat, they claimed). If they saw Madison and BS and still left, would Cavies or Crown as the opening act have prompted them to stay?

Again, I doubt it.

But I agree, I've always thought opening the show with a closer's excitement would improve the experience of the remaining portion of the show. Which is kinda' why I've always liked the idea of a randomly-drawn lineup.