Um...we do NOT need to know about your love life! :tongue:

Wouldn't that be Fantasyland, as opposed to Real World??? :mat:

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm married and it's band camp season...what's a love life? LOL

There. You see? My point is proven. :tongue:

...in this new proposal for the "World Series of Drum Corps", we have the answer to my request....undisputable proof of the drawing power and market value of the activity's top corps known as the G7....and a mechanism by which to quantify their superior drawing power and determine precisely how much more they are worth to show sponsors individually, or as a group:

Number of Facebook friends.

Based on this new information, I have no choice but to lend my total support to the "World Series of Drum Corps" concept.

:worthy::mat::tongue:

So let me get this straight... TWO of the SEVEN corps are from California and the closest show to California is in DALLAS? What am I missing here? I say DCI should stand firm and tell these corps that they are either DCI corps or NOT DCI corps. In other words, if Blue Devils and Santa Clara want to go G7, don't let either perform in ANY West Coast DCI shows.

I agree. DCI should stand tall and tell G7 or WS or whatever they are going to name themselves, that it is all in or all out. That's what DCI did with the world class corps from regional circuits until they all disolved. And that was with the Hopkins/Gibbs thought process running the show. Time for a taste of their own medicine. Either you are DCI, or you are not...but you don't get the best of both worlds, especially after the threatening tones the original proposal contained. It's this simple,

say what you mean and mean what you say.

I think DCI should turn the tables and say, "you all said if we didn't do it your way, you all were leaving DCI. Good bye!" That would give the Seven the "spanking" Jason spoke about in the other thread. The DCI schedule comes first, and if certain corps say they are refusing to appear at a scheduled event, they are out of DCI. The only way of return is through contractual agreement to perform at all DCI shows they are scheduled for.

"If you are going to bluff, you must be prepared to have your bluff called." - Arnold Schwarzanegger in Twins

DCI, call their bluff. That's my advice.

If I'm reading the G7 proposal correctly,there seems to be a contradiction in

their "Statement of Purpose".

According to the statement, the G7 will still be participating in the DCI tour and

their own World Series.

Everyone seems to agree that a corps can play to the judges or the fans.

It seems to me they're saying they'll be trying to do both.

Since I don't think a corps can do 2 seperate shows and since they intend to

profit from the World Series,does this mean the G7 will now have to do shows

that are "fan friendly" regarless of their scores?

What happens if WSoDC shows fall outside the allowed parameters of DCI shows? They want to do all this "inclusive" stuff, that is not allowed in DCI shows. It seems to me that many of them would fall quickly from the top 7. So, by their own explenation, most of them would not qualify for WSoDC after two years, while several DCI corps would. Many DCI corps have stated that they want no part of this other organization.

Hmmmmmmmmm

In terms of "organizational excellence" (one of the terms stated in this latest proposal)..... wasn't one of the proposed G7 corps (Phantom Regiment) seriously on the ropes financially just a few years ago?

Not meant as a shot at Phantom.... perhaps they have significantly improved their financial situation since then.

And what about the whole discussion that Cavaliers were not really onboard with this whole thing anyway? Are they part of this or not?

Who are the G7's target audience?

I do not know about band programs in other states or big cities. All I know is that in rural Indiana most if not all band programs funding has been 100% eliminated. It is now pay to play. If the school wants these bands to play at a sporting event, the money must come from the athletic dept. for the music. So if the G7's target audience is the band kids, they are marketing to a shrinking audience base. For example I just received an email from a DM at one of these schools. Last year they had 16 people who graduated, this year, they only had 2 new people join the band. And cost is increasing.

Dean

What amazes me is that this whole vision has failed to succeed for decades. Yet, the proposal is to do more of the same, but to an even further extent! Where's the logic in this? Doesn't it make more sense to ask, "what has worked in the past," and then build from those strengths, instead of trying to bolster a "vision" that has continually failed to produce results even close to what has been predicted by those who carry this vision?

Number of Facebook friends.

Based on this new information, I have no choice but to lend my total support to the "World Series of Drum Corps" concept.

LMAO, year or so ago we set my wife up on Facebook and she never got around to doing much with it.

Once in a while we check and amazing how many people want to be her friend claiming they know her from somewhere, way back when.

Really interesting since she didn't use her maiden name..... Wonder how many of those "friends" for my wife or DCI have money in Nigeria. :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic about facebook here?....Please understand facebook is not a joke...

It is now, thanks to the G7.

I do not support this action by these groups...BUT Social marketing is something that cannot be ignored and they know that.

I am well aware of the value of marketing (or pursuing grants) via social media. The idea that one such service's friend counts can serve as an absolute measure of the relative value of competing organizations....that's what I find ludicrous. Particularly in the manner they took the friend tallies of seven different organizations (who knows how many of the same people were double, triple or septuple counted for friending more than one corps) and added them together, because that's the only way they could compete with DCI's friend count.

And what is even sadder is that this remains their only attempt to quantify their alleged "draw" compared to other DCI member corps.