Allentown PA, second night.

Saturday Night in Allentown. Seemed much more festive, a little hotter and a bit larger crowd.

Mandarin were first. I like their uniforms. I like the color. I like that it is unique. Opening set reminded me of North Star. The more I try to remember this show the more frustrated I get because all I can remember is the overbearing pit, keyboards, synth-bass and silly vocals...."You are my friend" or something to that effect......barf !

What on earth drives these design teams to make something deeper than it shoud be. Blow your horn, bang your drum, spin your flag and entertain me. I dont care about some silly North, South, East, West concept that adds nothing to the show, I dont want to hear pre-recorded vocals when there are enough voices on the field to create the same effect..without electricity.

Ugh.

Teal Sound was next.....groan....A nice, fresh look on the field, great field coverage, actually a nice looking, effective visual program. I can not believe I watched a drum corps show and there were two gee-tar players in the front pit....I laughed so hard, others around me laughed so hard. Theconcept is about a rock band ?? Dumb concept...why on earth would I want to hear about a rock band and hear guitar...when there are drums and brass on the field taking a back seat to a gimmic ?? And a sub-par one at that ??

Whats with the onslaught of electronic keyboards being utilized when marimbas, bells, and Xylophones sit there untouched ??? You are going to tell me its more creative to bang some keys on an electronic keyboard than use your imagination to create the desired effect on the accustic instruments ?? Terrible.

Jersey Surf. A nice, little, effective, entertaining drum corps show with a great guard, solid brass and percussion. A theme that yes, has been explored before, and at times a little bit of a stretch to embrace, but overall, very entertaining. Guard staging is effective and drill has some real nice moments. I would like to see them build on this and be even stronger next year.

The opener was most effective as the guard revealed flags from behind slim panels.

Pacific Crest was next. I can not remember anything about this show. I close my eyes and I draw a blank. What I do remember is a rude woman from their staff actually scolding a lady next to me, a handicapped lady next to me to "please sit down" ...umm, excuse me ? That handicapped lady was stretching her legs, in her seat that she paid for, and the show didnt even start yet...and you were actually shouting at her to move out of your way to take picture ??? Get lost. Im glad security told you, one more outburst and the entire staff would be removed. Classless.

Crossmen.....had a good show in Allentown. Love their music, its very enjoyable and familiar. The arrangements, while not groundbreaking, still are effective and satisfying. I so wish the guard used more than Blue in the opener. If it was chosen to create a mood, I dont think it was the one that was presented. More color in this show and it can become much more memorable.

They have a nice, wide open drill and some clever transitions but I see this as just a year of sustaining, I dont see them breaking out of the box or moving forward. Whatever happens, I will still be enjoying this show.

Blue Knights. Wow. Very entertaining. Great attention to detail, solid, effective musical arrangements and excellent staging. The drill is very demanding and very aggressive full of fast transitions, solid patterns, some standard, some intricate and unique.

Guard was very good Saturday night, their book is very traditional and jam-packed with GE and tricks. I like the contrast of color from the guard vs the corps proper.

This show was overall very enjoyable.

Madison Scouts came on after intermision and proceeded to set the crowd on fire. At some points the crowd was in a frenzy....a standing ovation after the opening statement, raucous applause throught the show and it was Scouts, vintage Scouts, doing what they do best...inviting the crowd into their world and treating them like they were the only ones that mattered. The Crowd fed off of the corps and the corps fed off of the crowd.

The swagger and confidence was there, missing since oh, I say 2001. Not taking anything away from the corps since then. They displayed many, positive qualities, but this years offering of Scouts is somethng special.. There is electricity and power flowing through the corps .....Great things are happening.

The drill is huge, I mean really huge..the entrie field is utilized at almost all times. When a set hits, it is clean and slaps you in the face. Transition are a tad simplistic but very, very effective in the use of suspense and release and staging is top notch.

Guard is really executing a demanding, versatile book, complete with movement and equipment and enhancing the musical program without being overbearing or cumbersome. They know what needs to be done and how much effort is required for desired outcome.

The show is clean but there is still a ways to go and I can totally see this corps as hugh as 8th..some GE needs to be added if, its not too late . Placement doesnt even matter..they are going to easily be the all around favorite come Idianapolis. Scores aside, they have won. Great job Scouts !!

Boston Crusaders were next. I like the opening segment. Love the unique entry and the music is very effective in creating a mood. The show seems to have hit a wall, somewhat and I didnt feel the electrivity I did from past viewings. The guard is outstanding, very reminiscent of late 90's guards they had before they made finals.

The drill is good, covers the field nice, still a little dirty in the transitions but the patterns are simlt, defined and effective. Its a good, pleasing show and I dont see anything major that needs to be addressed. Loved Conquest, wish they gave us more.

Santa Clara Vanguard. well......I wa sitting in my seat, waiting, and waiting for this show to draw me in and take me into their world. It just didnt happen. Now, I will say that I like it, I like the music and the arrangements, I love the drill, I like the patterns and the intricate transitions. I think the problem here is there is nothing that ties the sections together, the visual and music dont compliment each other. I like the popcorn thinggie, so did the crowd, but it created laughter, not sure what the deisred effect was since the reat of the program was rather serious and heavy.

Way too much body movement, and members leaning on each other and other silly things like that....it left you confused and not sure how to feel. Serious ? Whimsical ? eesh..too much thinking involved. I also was not please overall with the guards contribution to the program. Defimently not staged well amd not effective in selling the theme..what was the desired effect again ??

Anyway, the actual music was good, somewhat familiar and pleasing in its arranged state. Just cant embrace this show like I was hoping.

No tunnel, but Phantom Regiment entered the field and pleased the crowd in the way they did. I dont know how to define this show...Its very pleasing on the ear, mature and full of "sweet" The score is vert pretty and full of melody, agression, subtlety and dynamics. Not digigng "Creepy orange dude" He's a little strange.

The Rosander drill is full of what you would expect and its being executed rather well. I think its a little overwritten at times and I would like to see the corps open up some more. I would love to see the guard be more effective and more pronounced within the show. Way to esoteric and subtle. Even the choice of color on the costuming is just to ethereal.

That said, It is a show with plenty to enjoy and a musical score thats very esasy on the ear. Brass is solid but not as deep or dynamic as in the past. Percussion is, of course laying down some solid notes and with confidence and dynamics. Front ensemble is outstanding. I would love to be a part of that !!

Dont know where this show will wind up. Dont think it has the goods to pull an upset and they may have to watch their backs for Blue Stars.

Oh Cadets. Cadets..are you there ??? Where are you hiding ?? Maybe you are right in front of my face but there are too many distractions keeping the real you from shinning. As I think of this show and all the times I have seen it, and listenend to it. I just thnk to myself of Cadets of old and how they used to be on the cutting edge of inovation and spectacle and performance....and then I think of the leadership and how they fought tooth and nail to get all these radical new ideas passed and I realize..for all the desire to have these new "tools" of creativity...the Cadets, ironically are nowhere near the innovators with these said toys and creative ideas.

Seems like they are still looking for ways to utilize the things that others have passed them by with. The idead of "Jeffrey" is so silly, so simplistic and so uncreative, its a little embarassing. Its level of effectiveness does not even come close to matching the true talent of the corps. The outstanidng brass, the solid percussion and the colorguard. Seems like year after year, they take a back seat to the silliness or the "creativity" ...when all this corps has to do is do what they do best. The things that, when done right, nobody can touch them.

There a glimpses of those things in this years show, dont get me wrong. The show overall is very, very good. But the juvenile goings on of "Jeffrey" complete with predictable behaviour from the character in the beginning, to the extremely silly "jeffrey"" flags., totaly destroy the mood the rest of the corps tries to create. The polish and sophistication of the corps is diminished by the second rate attempt to utilize comedy and silliness and its not being done for full effect.

Cadets really need to think this off-season on how to recapture the magic they once had. They dont need to go back, they need to go forward and continue to innovate but they have to realize, at some point, the things their braintrust fought so hard for are just not working for them and its time for some fresh new ideas and approaches.

As bad as cadets try to implement electronics, and voice and other things, on the opposite end of that spectrum we have the Bluecoats. I am NOT a fan of synthesizers, voice and pre-recorded sounds. But, if its gonna be done, this is the way you do it. Nobody has ever come close to the success that this corps has when using said elements.

The Bluecoats show "Metropolis" is an intense, aggressive, non-stop, kaleidescopic, in your face event that grabs you from the first moment and doesnt let you go until you are drained and spent and completely in awe of what you just witnessed. There is constantactivity, wether it be movement of the corps or sounds coming from them. The brass is so full of dynamics and intensity. They remind me more and more of teh Blue Devils every time I see them, but more than that, they are creating their own identity and bcemiong known for things that they themselves create and present.

The drill is fast paced, compact, sleek and effective, probably the best corps this year in regards to highlighting the music with movement and visual. Guard staging is outstanding, always enhancing the musical package.

This corps is on fire. They have confidence, determination, talent, and a solid, effective, rewarding show to back it all up. I dont see this corps falling out of the top three at all and I see them maintaining their placement and giving a certain other Blue corps a little reason to stay on top of their game.

Placement aside, this corps should be very proud of what they have created this year. Its simply dazzling and delivers on every level.

Another season is about to wrap up and I have to say, I am very sad to see it end. I havent had this much joy and fun in a long, long time...every corps has something good about them and the competiton this year us fierce and real.

I do honestly think the Blue Devils will win, but it doesnt take away from the rest of the stories of 2010.

Who would have thought the Bluecoatds and Crown would become season long rivals jockeying back and forth ??

Blue Devils, always good, but another undefeated season ??

Cavaliers start the season slow, get counted out and bounce back to rank amongst the top three ??

Madison Scouts not only regroup but become larger than life and reclaim their place a crowd-favorite ??

The Phantom Regiment and Vanguard rivals for the bottom of the top six ??

The Blue Stars coming on strong and surprising some with heir outstanfing show and awesome brass and colorguard ??

Academy not laying down and die, proving they are for real and presenting another strong show......and newcomers Jersey Surf and Teal sound are better than some thought and very entertaining for many.

Crossmen and Spirit rivals once again, both better than average and hopefully on the way back up the competitive ladder.

This is gonna be one heck of a week...are you gonna miss it ??

See you in indianapolis.

G

Edited by GMichael1230

They remind me more and more of teh Blue Devils every time I see them, but more than that, they are creating their own identity and bcemiong known for things that they themselves create and present.

I think that's what I love most about the Bluecoats this season. The show is so very... them. I love that the corps has been so successful and performed so well, and done so on their terms. They haven't had to borrow from anyone else; they've crafted a show that fits the style they've been working with since at least 2002. There is little doubt that this is a corps who knows exactly who they are, now and into the future, and that confidence is paying off for them.

Love the brutal honesty in your reviews, thanks!

Oh Cadets. Cadets..are you there ??? Where are you hiding ?? Maybe you are right in front of my face but there are too many distractions keeping the real you from shinning. As I think of this show and all the times I have seen it, and listenend to it. I just thnk to myself of Cadets of old and how they used to be on the cutting edge of inovation and spectacle and performance....and then I think of the leadership and how they fought tooth and nail to get all these radical new ideas passed and I realize..for all the desire to have these new "tools" of creativity...the Cadets, ironically are nowhere near the innovators with these said toys and creative ideas.

Seems like they are still looking for ways to utilize the things that others have passed them by with. The idead of "Jeffrey" is so silly, so simplistic and so uncreative, its a little embarassing. Its level of effectiveness does not even come close to matching the true talent of the corps. The outstanidng brass, the solid percussion and the colorguard. Seems like year after year, they take a back seat to the silliness or the "creativity" ...when all this corps has to do is do what they do best. The things that, when done right, nobody can touch them.

There a glimpses of those things in this years show, dont get me wrong. The show overall is very, very good. But the juvenile goings on of "Jeffrey" complete with predictable behaviour from the character in the beginning, to the extremely silly "jeffrey"" flags., totaly destroy the mood the rest of the corps tries to create. The polish and sophistication of the corps is diminished by the second rate attempt to utilize comedy and silliness and its not being done for full effect.

Cadets really need to think this off-season on how to recapture the magic they once had. They dont need to go back, they need to go forward and continue to innovate but they have to realize, at some point, the things their braintrust fought so hard for are just not working for them and its time for some fresh new ideas and approaches.

I agree with this 110%

When I saw the show on FN early in the season I actually really liked it.

Up close with multi-angle shots is a completely different story though. I can't stand Jeffery's or the colorguard's uniform. The new "laughing" flags also ruined the show for me.

Hmmm... When it was more about the music and drill and no "gimmicks" I actually liked it. What a concept!

Unfortunately I'm close to chucking this on the list of "Cadets shows that tried and failed" (along with more than half of the shows from the past decade)

I like to think that I'm pretty cheese averse, and I really like the Cadets' show this year, even the Jeffery bits. I'm really glad they took out that doofy crap at Atlanta though, that definitely would have pushed me over the edge.

Great review, by the way.

I like to think that I'm pretty cheese averse, and I really like the Cadets' show this year, even the Jeffery bits. I'm really glad they took out that doofy crap at Atlanta though, that definitely would have pushed me over the edge.

Great review, by the way.

Thanks,'and I am also glad they did too !!

G

Another terrific review- honest, heartfelt, and with great specifics. Nicely done!

Harvey

Really enjoyed the review and have to agree regarding Cadets and Bluecoats. Saw both in Lawrence. I have never been a Bluecoats fan, and this year they have my favorite show. Also agree that they have the best use of electronics on the field this year.

Another terrific review!! A lot of depth in this, and I agree with a lot of what you said. Thanks for taking the time.

G,

Great review, and I mostly agree with you... (Never thought I would write that), with the exception of SCV and Cadets. With Cadets, I'm always the guy who looks through the gimmicky stuff on top, I mean, I love 05-07. So I really enjoy this show. I really feel they are going back to being the Cadets, and we'll see more of this in the coming weeks. If you get the opportunity to see it again, spend the entire show just looking at the corps, don't look at Jeffery, pretend he's not there, and see what you find in the corps. And with Santa Clara, well, I've said it before and I'll say it again- Bartok isn't for everyone. This show is in the same formula as last year, which is take the original composition, and put it on a field. If you listen to the source pieces, you won't find many drum-corps friendly impacts, it's all tension and release to the end, and I think SCV has done a wonderful job pulling it off. They put Bartok straight onto a field.

But again, I feel this show is in the same boat as the Blue Devils this year.... (Yay California), where they've both done a show that people will either love or hate, it's not to everyone's taste, some people will want to plug their ears, and some can't get enough. Do I wish for more audience appeal? Sure, but both of these corps have put out awesome products, and have done each show an amazing amount of justice, and I applaud them for it. Both of these shows come down to individual tastes and opinions, and I think that engages the audience more. It's all down to what does each and every person feel about that product.

G,

Great review, and I mostly agree with you... (Never thought I would write that), with the exception of SCV and Cadets. With Cadets, I'm always the guy who looks through the gimmicky stuff on top, I mean, I love 05-07. So I really enjoy this show. I really feel they are going back to being the Cadets, and we'll see more of this in the coming weeks. If you get the opportunity to see it again, spend the entire show just looking at the corps, don't look at Jeffery, pretend he's not there, and see what you find in the corps. And with Santa Clara, well, I've said it before and I'll say it again- Bartok isn't for everyone. This show is in the same formula as last year, which is take the original composition, and put it on a field. If you listen to the source pieces, you won't find many drum-corps friendly impacts, it's all tension and release to the end, and I think SCV has done a wonderful job pulling it off. They put Bartok straight onto a field.

But again, I feel this show is in the same boat as the Blue Devils this year.... (Yay California), where they've both done a show that people will either love or hate, it's not to everyone's taste, some people will want to plug their ears, and some can't get enough. Do I wish for more audience appeal? Sure, but both of these corps have put out awesome products, and have done each show an amazing amount of justice, and I applaud them for it. Both of these shows come down to individual tastes and opinions, and I think that engages the audience more. It's all down to what does each and every person feel about that product.

In general, I like SCV's show, being critical, I want a better marriage of visual and music. I dont want varying emotions from opposite extremes if the music isnt potraying that. The music itself and Key's arrangements are outstanding. The guard isnt performing or written to the same level.

Cadets, George, et all, need to understand that the silliness wether some can seperate it or not, does affect the overall product. Imagine a pice of strawberry cheesecake...with anchovies in it...you cant just "get past" that......The corps is doing some amazing things, The cheezy, second rate nonsense is taking away from that...big time.

G