Question for Cadets Alums, Fans

When I wake up in the morning, I start off with my right foot. :tongue:

Seriously though, when I joined the military, it was hard getting used to the left-foot step-off in boot camp since I had just finished marching Cadets less than three weeks prior.

So that "un-learning bad habits and thinking about what you're doing" didn't take so well, eh Tekk?

:mat:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, when I joined the military, it was hard getting used to the left-foot step-off in boot camp since I had just finished marching Cadets less than three weeks prior.

haha... I hear you. I came out of Drum Corps into the military ( before college ) and basic training was a piece of cake for me over some others beause of the marching, fitness, discipline, time managment skills, etc learned in Drum Corps. But I would have had a bad time of it trying to make the cut at The Cadets camp with this right foot step off business. It would be like asking me to throw a baseball left handed.... haha!. I give you Cadets a lot of credit for seemingly making the switch so easily.

Edited by BRASSO

I bet Dang LOL

I think people who step off with the left foot are weird.

haha... I hear you. I came out of Drum Corps into the military ( before college ) and basic training was a piece of cake for me over some others beause of the marching, fitness, discipline, time managment skills, etc learned in Drum Corps. But I would have had a bad time of it trying to make the cut at The Cadets camp with this right foot step off business. It would be like asking me to throw a baseball left handed.... haha!. I give you Cadets a lot of credit for seemingly making the switch so easily.

The switch was pretty easy actually. I went into camps knowing I had to step off with the right foot, soo all of my music was practiced while marking time with a right foot lead.

There was also another part of the history behind the right foot lead. I say it that way because it was part of the original argument to change (right foot lead is how dance it taught .. which I was told was part of Zingali's argument for the switch).

It also put everyone on the same level, so to speak.

As the corps grew in recruitment, people came from lots of different programs. The right foot put everyone on level ground to a certain point.

I was at UMass while in the Cadets, and it was easy...just flip the switch mentally. Umass=left, Cadets=right. I never had a problem. In fact, the band I direct is off the right foot. Kids find it easy, since they're almost all right handed. They never even flinched at doing it. Some even thanked me!