Close-ups of Little Geoffrey?

Hey, don't bust the writer for the crap that's on these days. Most of the networks are going on the cheap to air "reality shows." Why pay a professional to write dialog and create competent scenes when there are so many people willing to make fools of themselves?

I just hate to see a very good performance group waste their time on a cheesy (yeah, I said it) storyline, or annoying props, when they could have the audience in the palm of their hands by playing and marching the hell out of their show.

Garry in Vegas

PS TOMike, it's not Chucky Hopkins, it's Hoppy the Sock Puppet. How soon you forget your historical perspective!

Well what about these hollywood flicks that are absolutely HORRIBLE and don't follow a main plot to the end? For that I DO blame those writers because they deserve it for putting out crap.

The antics of the individual characters from lots of other shows are meant to be seen from back in the stands, but the multicams give us closeups of them. What's the big deal about seeing Geoffrey's oversized stage presence, in particular? I think the main reason some people don't like him is because he's acting like a kid. If he were tapdancing or prancing or going crazy or killing someone, I guess that'd be more acceptable. Some people just don't like "cute". I think some people hold The Cadets to a different standard, and/or can't get over the mistakes of 06-08. Other than Crown, The Cadets are BY FAR using the least amount of electronic sounds of the top corps. Nobody's playing into a mic, there aren't any weird crazy sounds except for a little giggling, nobody's talking or singing. But you have one guard guy silently portraying a kid interacting with toy soldiers, and you feel a murderous rage inside you.

BTW, I fully admit The Cadets just don't do characters that well, but in my opinion, you're blowing the Geoffrey thing WAY out of proportion.

THANK YOU!! I'll tell you being at semis last night and from the seats I was in, there were quite a few corps that did the electronic thing absolutely horribly, but there is more of a big deal being made about a "kid" playing around on the field than there is about that.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The antics of the individual characters from lots of other shows are meant to be seen from back in the stands, but the multicams give us closeups of them. What's the big deal about seeing Geoffrey's oversized stage presence, in particular? I think the main reason some people don't like him is because he's acting like a kid. If he were tapdancing or prancing or going crazy or killing someone, I guess that'd be more acceptable. Some people just don't like "cute". I think some people hold The Cadets to a different standard, and/or can't get over the mistakes of 06-08. Other than Crown, The Cadets are BY FAR using the least amount of electronic sounds of the top corps. Nobody's playing into a mic, there aren't any weird crazy sounds except for a little giggling, nobody's talking or singing. But you have one guard guy silently portraying a kid interacting with toy soldiers, and you feel a murderous rage inside you.

BTW, I fully admit The Cadets just don't do characters that well, but in my opinion, you're blowing the Geoffrey thing WAY out of proportion.

It's not me! The Cadets' show is my favorite this year, and Geoffrey's antics didn't bother me. But they clearly bother a lot of people here, and my proposal was that this was because most of those people had seen him close-up. (I haven't.) He's not meant to be seen close-up, so I suggest that video has hurt people's perceptions of Cadets' show, because they focus too much on L.G.

Therefore, I think it would be better for the multicam DVD not to show him in close-up.

(And actually, I'd be perfectly happy with far fewer close-ups of guard members "tapdancing or prancing or gonig crazy or killing someone". I think all drum corps video should make much less use of close-up than they do.)

It's not me! The Cadets' show is my favorite this year, and Geoffrey's antics didn't bother me. But they clearly bother a lot of people here, and my proposal was that this was because most of those people had seen him close-up. (I haven't.) He's not meant to be seen close-up, so I suggest that video has hurt people's perceptions of Cadets' show, because they focus too much on L.G.

Therefore, I think it would be better for the multicam DVD not to show him in close-up.

(And actually, I'd be perfectly happy with far fewer close-ups of guard members "tapdancing or prancing or gonig crazy or killing someone". I think all drum corps video should make much less use of close-up than they do.)

But people like death and murder (ala Phantom 08). :lookaround:

And yet it seems almost certain that the videographers are going to include close-ups of Little G. on the DVD. (I didn't see the Quarterfinals cine-cast, but it seems clear that there were close-ups of him there.) Why can't they see the point you're making?

Well, that's something I can't quite explain, but maybe because he's a constant visual soloist? Here's another example for you, look at any corps that does big visuals, or like in Cavie's show, chanting. From the stands, the stuff looks and sounds good. But watch it from a close-up, it looks way over-the-top. Because you have to over-do the stuff on the field to get it to project up.

THANK YOU!! I'll tell you being at semis last night and from the seats I was in, there were quite a few corps that did the electronic thing absolutely horribly, but there is more of a big deal being made about a "kid" playing around on the field than there is about that.

The bad electronics have been around for some time. LJ is new this year.

I said the band geek narration in '07 was like a piece of poop on filet mignon.

At the time I described that show as "the best executed turd I've ever seen." In keeping with your meat analogy, I gues I'd describe it as "prime rib au excrement."

At the time I described that show as "the best executed turd I've ever seen." In keeping with your meat analogy, I gues I'd describe it as "prime rib au excrement."

Good one. :lookaround:

Guys, say what you will about Little Geoffrey ... Just be grateful they didn't give him a microphone.

That was the year where I kept saying, "if they would just shut up and play, I'd love them!"

That was the year where I kept saying, "if they would just shut up and play, I'd love them!"

I still have my "Shut up and Play" T-shirt from 2006! :thumbup: