Blue Devils "B"

Once you add the word "judged" it is no longer an exhibition....

There are plenty of marching band and indoor circuits that have groups perform in exhibition, but they still receive judge's scores and comments. Those generally leak and make their way around, if not posted online by some certain circuits. That's what I meant when I said judged exhibition, but thanks for clarifying the fact that it's clearly impossible...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The night before they head out on tour, the current members from the year before play the previous year's show, I believe its endearingly called hackfest.

That's also a tradition in the A corps...always wished I'd had one more year so I could've done it in 85.

Listening to the 83 vets try it that last day at Mars was just funny, in an awful sorta way! I think everyone else did the "HUH" in One More Time...and we sung "F...the...Vanguard" at the end of T.O.

"Hack"fest doesn't even BEGIN to describe it! :tongue:

There are plenty of marching band and indoor circuits that have groups perform in exhibition, but they still receive judge's scores and comments. Those generally leak and make their way around, if not posted online by some certain circuits. That's what I meant when I said judged exhibition, but thanks for clarifying the fact that it's clearly impossible...

In exhibition, a director can opt for comments, but I have never seen scores issued...but honestly, since my daughter marched BDB and now that I have had a few years of watching some great shows in Open Class, I would love to see more respect and attention given to open class....

Edited by txorchdork013

That's also a tradition in the A corps...always wished I'd had one more year so I could've done it in 85.

Listening to the 83 vets try it that last day at Mars was just funny, in an awful sorta way! I think everyone else did the "HUH" in One More Time...and we sung "F...the...Vanguard" at the end of T.O.

"Hack"fest doesn't even BEGIN to describe it! :tongue:

Love Hackfest.....totally hillarious :thumbup: :thumbup:

"Hackfest" was always done on the last day of rehearsal at Mars. Wayne hated it.

All season we're taught to be in control and Hackfast is just that....hacking. Definitely fun.

Rob

Veteran of Hackfest 82, 83, 84, 85.

Hate to butt in, but very very few Open Class Corps have an average age of 15, or even 16.

My daughter's first year in BDB was when she was 14 (her freshman year in High School) in 2007 (Trilogy). She is now 17. I would think it would be more apropo to state that many Open Class members are high school students, whereas the World Class Corps mostly consist of college students.

BTW, congratulations on Forte's fantastic debut season. I am so glad to tell everyone I know that Texas now has four great drum corps! :thumbup:

Kind of hard to say. But, if the other corps can field 14 year olds as part of their corp, and get the larger group to really perform, then power to them. I am really impressed with the BDB staff, and writers and corp. As for worlds, perhaps a comparison with Teal Sound and Jersey Surf over the last couple of years could help. BDB was ahead of both of them in 09 and 08.

My daughter was 14 in 2007, her first year in BDB.

My daughter was 14 in 2007, her first year in BDB.

Congrats. The trumpet soloist this year is only 15! She has a lot of presence, and did a wonderful job all season long! :smile:

Going back to the original discussion, the gaps we see are from one day being judged on one sheet and the next day being judged on a different sheet.

Now imagine if all year long, the OC division was judged on the same sheets as WC.

Competition after competition, the staff would be listening to judges comments and working on cleaning those pieces as well as adding to the show.

When it comes down to finals week, the morning block for OC corps, the nighttime for WC corps.

I prefer to compare what I see Visually and hear, I saw Open Class and World Class Semi finals on Fan Network and attended almost all the CA shows.

Out of 23 WC corps that performed on Thursday, 6 did not perform on Friday, and 11 more did not perform at Finals.

And BDB, this year, performed a production worthy of finals night, not just in exhibition.

In my day of Div 2, we were scored on Div 1 sheets at every show except for DivII/III focus shows, like the North American Open and the Canadian Open.

And through the 2002 season, the top 5 from the Div II/III finals qualified to complete at Div 1 Q'finals...the typical Div II/III schedule during championship week was:

Mon - Prelims

Tues - Prelims and Finals

Wed - I&E

Thirs - Div 1 Qfinals

Now with the small amount of OC corps 2 days of prelims should not even be necessary.

If you look at Corpsreps.com, you will see that several finalists from Div II/III have made top 21 and even top 17 ('96 Les Etoiles made 15th, '00 SCVC made 16th or 17th).