he didn't leave DCi because he was mad at it or wanted more money. the deal was already in the works before finals.

Jeff,

Can you elaborate? I was touring with a group that summer, along with a staff person who marched Star, and I don't remember hearing anything about the possibility of that occurring. I'm not saying that it didn't happen, but I'm just curious ......

Now, are you saying that the G7 is "mad" at DCI? Does anyone know WHEN they started planning this exodus?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

Can you elaborate? I was touring with a group that summer, along with a staff person who marched Star, and I don't remember hearing anything about the possibility of that occurring. I'm not saying that it didn't happen, but I'm just curious ......

Now, are you saying that the G7 is "mad" at DCI? Does anyone know WHEN they started planning this exodus?

Please re-read some of the G7 statements, you will find your answer there.

Jeff,

I'm not Jeff, but in Bill Cook's reflections on the 1993 season, posted on the Star of Indiana website, he writes:

Like many other corps, we were all glad to leave Jackson--it was hot, it was humid, and it rained! Championship week for Jim and me was bittersweet. The week was exciting and had the best of what drum and bugle corps has to offer. Our future was already charted; we would go with the Canadian Brass--win or lose. When we came back to Bloomington, we announced at our annual banquet that Star would be leaving drum corps, would be playing on b-flat horns, and would be performing "Brass Theater."

It seemed like 1985 again when Jim "sold hot air." He described "Brass Theater" to the members, and then he casually mentioned that they would have to prepare for two types of shows, one performed on a small stage and one performed on a basketball floor. He explained that the repertoire would exceed two hours in length, that percussion and brass ensembles would be featured during various parts of the show. When he finished, I felt warm and fuzzy but I'm not exactly sure how the corps felt except confused. After this meeting, I have been asked what the corps members thought and I can only answer--anxious but understanding.

Star's association with the Canadian Brass in 1993 was the year of Star's swan song. In the early spring, Star, Glassmen, Chicago Vanguard, and Pioneers gave a stand still performance at Indiana University's Auditorium in Bloomington. The night before, all of the corps attended a performance of the Canadian Brass ensemble; the auditorium was filled and the crowd received them with the enthusiasm of brass music lovers. That evening, Jim and I had been invited to a reception for the five CB which was hosted by Harvey Phillips, Dr. Tuba Santa. During a conversation, Chuck Dahlenbach of CB asked us if he and two other CBers could stay over and watch our drum corps show on Sunday afternoon. He didn't need to ask; we would have begged him to do it. In any event, they attended the performance, and afterward Chuck broached the subject of how Star could participate with them. The following Monday Chuck called to ask if some of Star's percussionists could play on their 'Broadway' CD. During the time of the recording, ideas started to develop; several weeks later, we met Chuck and Gene Watts in Florida and began discussions on how we could perform together. At the time, I did not believe that the corps could learn two hours of music and play it with the precision necessary to satisfy audiences that had very high expectations. But Jim, Gene, and Chuck thought otherwise. In June we signed a letter of intent which resulted in a contract that was signed in September.

Jeff,

there is a link out these womehwere with an interview with Mason explaining how it went down that Star left DCI. dicsussion were ongoing before 93 finals, and the end result at finals had nothing to do with the decision. IMO, they should be more ###### at losing 92.

as for the G7 this idea first came to light in 97. I'm sure it's been discussed along the way. I'm sure the G7 is mad at some things, mainly that they arent getting their way.

Thank you Jeff and Thank you Sue!!

Again, it should be All In, or All Out. They shouldn't get an opportunity to get stronger while making others weaker. Star didn't do that.

Yep I agree...either stay or leave. Period!

Jeff thanks for the insight and the posts...I don't necessarily agree with the all in or all out concept...but I can see the other side of the coin...I still am sorry for the Alumni and the kids that never got the opportunity to continue on such a great ensemble that graced our presence for such a short periord of time.

Star did, IMO, what few athletes, actors or musicians ever accomplish. And that is, get out at the top of their game. While it's sad that they are no longer around, it's better by their choice and on principle rather than dwindling success, financial crisis and eventual folding of the corps. That's a small consolation, but it only adds to the mystique and legend of Star's legacy. For them to have had such amazing success in such a short period of time in such a fickle activity is monumental and will never again be duplicated.

Star did, IMO, what few athletes, actors or musicians ever accomplish. And that is, get out at the top of their game. While it's sad that they are no longer around, it's better by their choice and on principle rather than dwindling success, financial crisis and eventual folding of the corps. That's a small consolation, but it only adds to the mystique and legend of Star's legacy. For them to have had such amazing success in such a short period of time in such a fickle activity is monumental and will never again be duplicated.

Actually Crown is on a very similar path, as well as, now Madison...so you might want to hold your breath...the recipe is exactly the same...and the leadership is what brought Star, Crown and now Madison to the Top of the game...Madison's youth is the only thing holding them back...