Why I didn't go last night

Usually this is the only time I get to see the corps all year. My daughter and I go and my son and I before that. This year I really wasn't looking forward to it. I've been reading all year how XX corps is dull, this show is boring, Drum Corps has died, etc, etc.

I didn't want to see 12-13 corps that would ruin the activity for me. I grew up watching the shows of the 80's and early 90's and that is my drum corps. I'm not saying one is better then the other but thats what I like.

Lets put it this way, I didn't want to look behind the curtain because I don't want to see what the wizard looks like. I know things change but right now, from what I read its not close (with the few exceptions) of what I would spend my money on. And its a shame. I really look forward to spending time with my kids talking about something that I did back in the day. But when you see a show today its nothing close.

Maybe next year when more corps follow what Madison did (8 position jump) and go back to thier roots I'll go watch a show. Until then I'll keep my money in my pocket.

Just one man's opinion.................

Too bad. You missed a REALLY great show.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually this is the only time I get to see the corps all year. My daughter and I go and my son and I before that. This year I really wasn't looking forward to it. I've been reading all year how XX corps is dull, this show is boring, Drum Corps has died, etc, etc.

I didn't want to see 12-13 corps that would ruin the activity for me. I grew up watching the shows of the 80's and early 90's and that is my drum corps. I'm not saying one is better then the other but thats what I like.

Lets put it this way, I didn't want to look behind the curtain because I don't want to see what the wizard looks like. I know things change but right now, from what I read its not close (with the few exceptions) of what I would spend my money on. And its a shame. I really look forward to spending time with my kids talking about something that I did back in the day. But when you see a show today its nothing close.

Maybe next year when more corps follow what Madison did (8 position jump) and go back to thier roots I'll go watch a show. Until then I'll keep my money in my pocket.

Do respect your opinion, and also see your point... As for myself, I marched in the early sixties. There were talented kids at that time, but nothing compared to the level that we are seeing now, nor were they able to play the shows that are being presented.. I have pleasant memories, but in my opinion drum corps is so much better now. I thought that Kevins, Sac et al were a big deal with 36 horns, now I'm looking at Crown with 80 horns , and every single person is playing at full volume. It was as good as it could have been at that time , but what we are seeing today is a whole different deal...

It is interesting that others miss the same shows as I do! :smile: I enloyed SCV's Miss Saigon, Phantom of the Opera, Carmen, and Russian shows; BD's Tommy show; Cadet's To Tame the Periless Skies, West Side Story, Appachian Spring shows; Sky Ryder's Wizard of Oz and Camelot shows; Madison's Pirates of Lake Mendota show; as well as countless other shows. I just can't remember the exact date and show title right now.

Not even the Cadets could deliver enough cheese for this whine.

And actually, their show was pleasantly surprising this department. :D What a great night of drum corps. I'm glad you weren't there to ruin it by complaining! :)

I understand the sentiments, but I don't understand what you just said here. You stated above that you decided not to go to the shows this year because of " what I've been reading all year " about these Corps shows. So we presume you didn't see the shows live. That's fine. Got that. But then you lose me ( and maybe some others ) when you state in the same paragraph " that when you see a show today, it's nothing close " to the other years. There's the confusion, blackstar. Either you went and saw the shows this year,... or you didn't. It has to be one or the other. It can't be both. Frankly, if you didn't see the Corps this year, then you never saw the wizard, nor his curtain. You didn't take the trip to Oz. So you can't tell us if the Land of Oz looks any different this year. All you can tell us ( which you just did ) is that you didn't get onto the yellow brick road.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm probably the target audience that DCI/G7 wants to expand the butts in seats numbers. I never marched in a corps but I've been following them since my first PBS broadcast in '85 or '86. It's much easier to follow now, let me add. I'm not sure what it was but this year didn't excite me at all. Maybe it was knowing that Blue Devils were probably going to win with a show that I didn't like. Maybe it's more synths on the field. Maybe it was the Debbie downer of the whole G7 crap that went on. I'm not sure, but I had almost zero interest in DCI this year and that's the first year this has happened. I saw an early show locally at Chambersburg, PA and it was enjoyable but nothing that had me dying to see what's next. So last night I went to see Foreigner, had a great time seeing an awesome show and didn't even think about Finals until this morning. If DCI, or some within the organization, want to move drum corps towards a NASCAR style experience it's going to come across as cheesy and awkward like the Cadets at the Summer Olympics. When they did their drum corps thing, it was awesome. When they did the drum major schtick, it was campy. So I wish drum corps would stay true to their roots and do the thing they do the best, drum corps. But if they want to battle in the "entertainment" concert category I think they'll fail miserably. Everyone had a great time last night at the Foreigner concert. Why? They have a connection to the music, the band and it was enjoyable. As drum corps lose their connection with their past they're going to lose more and more of the crowd that used to come. Maybe those will be replaced by a new crowd eager to see brass, drums and lasers, who knows? But it's well known that it costs 10x more to get a new customer than it does to keep an old customer.

Sorry for the rambling..... Congrats to all the corps that performed last night and this season.

At 11 minutes a show, there is just not enough out there to displease me. Sure SCV was not the most thrilling show in the world, but they are still awesome to see. Blue Devils took me three shows, (Stanford, Atlanta, Indy) before they got to me in a positive way. So many other fun corps to see, no one corps will cause me to stop attending DCI shows. Now if they all went out and did "Medea" or whatever Star called that show, then I think it would be safe to say that DCI would not be around at all....

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm from the 80's too. This was my favorite finals ever in terms of peformance level and design.

But if they want to battle in the "entertainment" concert category I think they'll fail miserably. Everyone had a great time last night at the Foreigner concert. Why? They have a connection to the music, the band and it was enjoyable.

If that's your criteria for what's 'entertaining', that's cool, but understand that 80s pop bands aren't what most of us would like to see as the examplar of the type of entertainment demographic the activity should be looking to satisfy. Old bands that tour usually do it to play up on nostalgia among their fanbase, not to push their craft to a new level.

Myself, I started marching 35 years ago, and thought this was one of the best top to bottom Finals lineups I've seen. There was cutting edge, there was comfort food, there was everything in between - as it SHOULD be, imho.

Edited by mobrien

It's a shame you didn't go....I hadn't been going to a lot of shows over the past few years, but this year totally piqued my interest again. After going to Allentown and the Clifton show, I had to go to Indy. Its the first time in a long time that I've really enjoyed 11 out of the 12 finalists...usually it's just a few good shows for me and that's it. This has definitely been one of the best years DCI has seen in a long time.