Why adding woodwinds won't work in drum corps

Wow, attitudes like this from drum corp fans really sadden me. All I know is when I was first exposed to drum corp in 1989 I was instantly hooked and could never ever get enough. As a brass player I was in awe of the power of the G bugles and couldn't wait to be a part of the activity BECAUSE it was something different I couldn't get at my high school. I was WILLING TO PAY TO BE A PART OF IT because it was different and special. My only hope is that enough current members feel this way to preserve what so many think of as an honorable tradition but sadly I guess most new members don't know the difference. I told myself after seeing the show in Atlanta this year that as long as Phantom and Madison are around I will always support drum corp but with the addition of woodwinds I will NOT PAY to see any shows because it will JUST be marching band. And honestly I really just wish the members could have as special an experience as I did when I marched.

And in regards to the "This serious red-faced back in the day stuff....ugh." ... Yeah, it will be interesting to see just how many dollars DCI loses when most of their "Legacy" fans stop giving them money. Way to go Mr. Hopkins, you're a real visionary. To clarify, I'm actually really impressed with MOST of the shows this year and I am actually impressed with the sound most corps are puting out so no I'm not a hater of new mellenium drum corps I just don't understand how one man can have so much sway over the entire activity.

Sorry to make you sad. To clarify, I'm 100% against woodwinds on the field, and will never pay for a dci show where it happens. And I fully understand that my attitude about these possible changes might be different if I had ever marched, and I feel for you guys...but I've known plenty of fmm's who think kind of the same as I do. I can see the writing on the wall, and I'll be suprised if I'm still a fan 5 years from now....already took a long break as a fan from 01-03.

Anyhoo, with regard to the part that I underlined, that's the best thing you could do. The doomsday talk about legacy fans with all of their money leaving en masse and DCI dying has been going on for well over a decade. A mass exodus (for real, not just talking about it on a message board) would be the most powerful thing those who loathe what they're seeing and hearing could do if they want to try to change anything in any way whatsoever.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The four worst words in Drum Corps have been, for maybe a couple of decades now, "an original composition by--"

What are you talking about? How many original compositions have there been -- and how many outside (some of) the Cavaliers 2000s repetoire have seen much success?

Band teachers ... are presenting a huge variety of contemporary material that may work at one level, but does not seem to be working in my world of "Field Theater". As a result, shows are full of nothing but hooks, designed to draw you back again and again to the incident unfolding. The Blue Knights of Colorado have become particularly famous for this: presenting a show that is perhaps annually the single least memorable show in DCI, but stacking it with hooks that keep arresting your attention moment to moment, as it wanders away.

Then you'll be happy to hear that BK this season presented a well-received show of popular classical music that rightly traded places with Madison's offering on the several times they appeared together.

Check out all the posts in the thread that was unfolding during the DCI semi-finals tonight, and particularly those posted whils Star Alumni was on the field.

Yeah, I whistle "Medea" and "Belshazzar's Feast" (fun review: "a fundamentally silly piece of music ... Sloppy and superficial") all the time.

Unless they decide to change the member limit, the hornlines would get smaller since they've had to make room for all the flutes, clarinets, saxophones, etc. And like you said, the woodwinds aren't gonna be heard, anyway...so why add them in the first place? It'll just take away from the size of the brass section and add nothing to the show.

You seem to be forgetting the Contraflute.

You seem to be forgetting the Contraflute.

Seems you know have first hand knowledge of such things.........................................

It's fricking marching band.

Wow, attitudes like this from drum corp fans really sadden me. All I know is when I was first exposed to drum corp in 1989 I was instantly hooked and could never ever get enough. As a brass player I was in awe of the power of the G bugles and couldn't wait to be a part of the activity because it was something different I couldn't get at my high school.

Interesting. I also saw my first corps performance in 1989, after seeing the Cadets rehearse on the practice field next to where my h.s. marching band was rehearsing earlier the same day. While I was astonished by their skill, it seemed obvious to me that the difference between band and corps was one of degree, not of kind, at least for a competing "corps style" band like ours (as opposed to a "show style" bands that only played halftimes and festivals), of which there were hundreds in Ohio at the time. The all-brass instrumentation held no great significance: obviously it was a way to play louder, but I'd seen a few high school marching bands that lacked woodwinds. The peculiar nature of those brass instruments seemed just a quirk (even if it was not) -- after all, some high school marching bands used sousaphones, while others used "convertible" concert tubas. So these drum corps bands happened to use two-valve instruments in a different key. Big whoop.

Most intriguingly, I gather from some recent DCP comments that the Cadets in 1989, who won that local competition with "Les Mis" on their way to fifth for the season, were seen by some legacy fans then as having broken with the true tradition of drum corps. Plus ca change...

It is called DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS for a reason. It's only supposed to have percussion and brass. Let's stop trying to re-invent the wheel here and leave it alone. Adding woodwinds would be like allowing soccer players to use their hands or Nascar drivers to crash into each other to win. It is not what's supposed to happen. Want woodwinds Mr. Hopkins? Leave your drum corps, and go teach high school or college marching bands. Keep Drum Corps the way it is intended to be.

I didn't know we still marched bugles???

2flutes.jpg

WHY DOES THIS EXIST?!

I must say that must be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen...including the Jar Jar in the Cadets uniform.