Semi Finals Open Thread

Have another beer...you nailed it. Crown has a gifted horn line. I would have loved to hear them live this year...especially in a stand still warm-up arc.

They took a big chance and are paying for it. Unfortunately, it is too late to start watering it down. However, assuming they can replace the talent they will lose to ageouts, some better coordination between music and visual could fix this problem next year. Each year is a learning experience. It is no secret that the corps with the most consistent staff seem to place at the top year after year. If the design team knows how to adjust, they will be right in the mix again next year.

You have completely nailed the secret to success in DCI. Good for you. It's exactly the thing. It all comes down to consistency. The corps with the most wins, BD and Cadets have very consistent staffs, and it's led to huge success for them. I'd even toss Cavies into this, with the exception of this year. Having the same staff year in and year out means that they can build a system that works with themselves, but also with the students. When you have the same techs for three or four years, you really build a strong relationship with them, and you can get work done so much easier. I see more corps working towards that, SCV, Crown, and Bluecoats being the biggest ones for this. If you have the consistency, you can create a program that works best for your corps, and then you can establish programs that highlight that the best. I think Crown is taking the right steps, and will start making a bigger push towards a championship in the near future.

Wow, I hope you're right because this is a REALLY powerful show from that dialogue.

Thanks Tekk. That was just how I interpreted this show, over the last couple of nights, I finally understood Cavie's show and Crown's show, and I like them even more now. The way I saw it just seems to fit the show.

Well, the thing here about Cavalier's show as I understand it, is that it's about Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder. I think one of the show designers came on here and said that a few weeks ago. Think about it from that viewpoint next time. The entire pre-show, with the members getting dragged around by other members, the weapon references, the guard member going insane in the middle of it all. Watch the expressions of the members, it's all in the big picture. Even the song alludes to this. It's Mad World, and if you know the song and lyrics, one of the big ones is, "The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had," it really goes into the theme. And the whole amped military orders being yelled out I think is supposed to be voices from the character's past, haunting him of his time in the service. The whole this is my rifle segment is brought in to show the military precision, which caused the guard soloist to go mad. The show breaks down into Charlie Chaplin's "Smile", and that's pretty much the best evidence I've seen for the theme. Listen to the lyrics of the song, "Smile though your heart is aching, smile even though it's breaking". Stuff like that really drives it home, and the masks that the guard wears show how people who suffer from PTSD are forced to try and assimilate into society and hide their disease. This whole show really ties in the theme better than any other show out there, I think, right ahead of Crown.

Disclaimer: This is all just my read on it. I could be wrong, I could be right, but this is what I get out of the show, and I love this show.

I got PTSD watching their show tonight........ :lookaround:

Thanks Tekk. That was just how I interpreted this show, over the last couple of nights, I finally understood Cavie's show and Crown's show, and I like them even more now. The way I saw it just seems to fit the show.

Yeah you're gonna have me really thinking about that when I watch Cavies tomorrow.

I got PTSD watching their show tonight........ :lookaround:

i'm very sorry about that. It was a show I really enjoyed, and that was just my read on it. Like I said, I could be wrong about it. I would like to know your thoughts on it though. What did you get out of this show?

Yeah you're gonna have me really thinking about that when I watch Cavies tomorrow.

Very good. Glad I could help. If you would like an explanation for Crown too, I think I posted one last night in the quarterfinals thread, if you want it, I think I can find it and post it for you.

I didn't bother reading the last 10 pages of this thread, so I don't know if anyone else addressed this but, I do not agree with people who say, "CROWN'S BRASS SHOULD BE 1st." Carolina Crown plays with a musicianship unlike any other corps in the top tier, however, they have chosen compositions that are not friendly for visuals spread from endzone to endzone. Last year they won brass because they deserved it and because for 85% of the show the brass section was within a respectable range of one another. This year, a large portion of the drill is symmetrical and split upon the 50 yard line, without a proper balance of low and high voices from both side A and B. This results in an unfavorable listening experience for the judges. Also, it puts the members at a disadvantage because they never know if they are playing perfectly along with everyone else.

I'm just saying.... Crown's brass is awesome, but the drill writer needs to be retired.

If that doesn't make sense I apologize, semi finals beers = poor analytical judgement.

Musicianship is where they were placed 5th .. while technique was 2nd. Which is it? I personally think the judge called it right tonight. They have a great sound, but from a musicianship standpoint .... they sounded very weak at lower dynamics tonight (mostly in the upper voices). Or, maybe the judge picked out a few slugs in the hornline tonight ......... I'm sure every line has 1 or 2 ..... or maybe they weren't slugs .. they just had a bad night. Regardless, the seperation from 4th to 1st in brass is exactly 0.3. With that small of a separation, one could argue they are the best or 5th .. and probably be right and justified in their own mind.

This results in an unfavorable listening experience for the judges Winning brass is based on the Brass Caption judged at field level. There is never a favorable listening vantage point for this judge .. it is an individual by individual performer evaluation. Are you saying that their visual staging is creating an unfavorable experience for the fans in the seats?

I fully respect your opinion of the quality of their brass ... and I wholeheartedly agree/disagree with you. However, your perspective of their performance and sound production is from the BOX/STANDS vantage point and that is not how the caption is judged or scored.

Also, it puts the members at a disadvantage because they never know if they are playing perfectly along with everyone else. That's called demand .. and unfortunately, it's not being rewarded properly (nor is it on the sheets in so many words). It should be noted in Music Ensemble (which includes percussion and pit) as well as Music GE, that there is demand put upon the performers within the design that is very high .. but that is in the eye and ear of the judge and not all judges reward demand the same (because it's not really on the sheets).

FWIW, I thought Crown's 4th in brass was deserved and could have even been 5th despite their gorgeous sound.

They're playing a very exposed book and had a lot of minor timing tears side to side. Judges aren't giving "it's hard" points anymore, unless it's clean. They were less clean than the corps around them.

Great point. Judges might give benefit of the doubt early, but not so much Final week. I agree that Crown has quite a bit of crazy exposure throughout the ensemble, and while their run at Semi's wasn't "bad" per say, a lot of their big exposures were a little dirty.

The show tonight was pretty good. Section 641 is not the best for sound.....plus, DCI must figure that they need to have the audio piped into the house speakers....problem was that there is a slight delay. Best part was listening to the Star Alumni Corps.... no synth and pure Drum Corps. It was awesome..... and no mic for the soloist. LOVED the opener. Will be fun tomorrow night.

There have been many instances in which a judge was numerically "forced" to give a perfect score...1987 wasn't one of them (although most Cadets I know would probably argue that '88 was actually better, in terms of percussion.)

They might argue it, but they'd be wrong. :lookaround:

88 had some major problems (87 had a few too, but they were well concealed). There's a youtube video of 88 going around that is just cringeworthy (and I'm pretty sure it's finals week if not finals night)...dirt for days. The comments are pretty hilarious too, all kinds of "OMG, this is the most amazing drumline EVER!" "so incredible!").

Not for nothin, but to be honest I'd say neither 87 OR 88 holds a candle to many others, including you guys in 93 which WAS pretty darned clean.

Anyway, you're right. Teddy definitely wasn't forced to give em that score, he WANTED to. :laughing:

Oh, here's the 88 vid...found it.

For the record, I'm far from a Cadets basher, I LOVED their lines in 85, 86, and 89 from that era and think all of them were superior to the two everyone remembers (why they didn't win drums in 89 is beyond my comprehension).