Semi Finals Open Thread

No, you don't need all of that stuff to get the show, I could have fit it all into one short sentence- "It's a second chance at love". See, I did it, but I wanted to really elaborate on it to get explain the theme as much as I could.

Oh, I've posted my thoughts on that show elsewhere, but there's no discernible theme, so nothing to write about that show. Sorry. But I've been very vocal with my thoughts and opinions if you find yourself in the Q-Finals thread, in the same post as my synopsis of Crown.

Oh don't you worry. I'm already quite familiar with your opinions on BD; I was just teasing. :lookaround:

BD certainly has no discernible narrative or "story," I'd agree; but I'm not sure that's the same as having no theme. Hopefully we can agree that there's a difference...

Edited by saxfreq1128

I'm already quite familiar with your opinions on BD; I was just teasing.

BD certainly has no discernible narrative or "story," I'd agree; but I'm not sure that's the same as having no theme. Hopefully we can agree that there's a difference...

Yes, I got the teasing. Yes, there is a big difference. Sorry, I should clarify that. This show has no story, there is a basic theme, nothing as blatant as say Crown or Cadets, but it's still there. We can for sure agree though that there's a difference between theme and story, and BD has no story or narrative, but there is a theme.

8th or 9th (BD's visual demand).

Wow. I don't care what your credentials are, if you honestly think that Blue Devils visual demand is in the bottom of the Top 6, then I sincerely hope that you never adjudicate any group I'm teaching/writing. You are basically saying that every single DCI visual judge this season has been SIGNIFICANTLY wrong: wrong in ways that are unfathomable (argue 2nd place Vis Caption Cavaliers, who were a full .5 behind Dev's).

No offense, but I will believe every single DCI judge before I'd believe you. What you post above is obviously biased/pseudo-trolling nonsensical bitter rhetoric. Say that you dislike the show design all you want, but saying their visual demand as 8th or 9th is just plane naive.

Yes, I got the teasing. Yes, there is a big difference. Sorry, I should clarify that. This show has no story, there is a basic theme, nothing as blatant as say Crown or Cadets, but it's still there. We can for sure agree though that there's a difference between theme and story, and BD has no story or narrative, but there is a theme.

I agree, and I'm glad that we agree. Civil discourse doesn't rear it's ugly head round these here parts very often.

//

You know what'd give BD major audience appeal points?

A streaker.

I'm serious. That obstacle course of glossy mirrors? Someone could have a field day.

"Through a Glass,"... naked.

There'd be your narrative. :lookaround:

Edited by saxfreq1128

I agree, and I'm glad that we agree. Civil discourse doesn't rear it's ugly head round these here parts very often.

//

You know what'd give BD major audience appeal points?

A streaker.

I'm serious. That obstacle course of glossy mirrors? Someone could have a field day.

"Through a Glass,"... naked.

There'd be your narrative. :laughing:

Yeah, I enjoy being able to have fully civil discussions with people without them degrading into pot-shots, name calling, and unfounded biases.

HOLY C&@%!!!!!!!!! If they brought a streaker to run through the maze of mirrors towards the end, I think their show would go down in history as one of the most memorable. But the problem with the narrative is, "Why is he naked, and how did he end up naked in the maze of mirrors?" Sorry, just had to be philosophical, because your post was so super funny! :lookaround:

No offense, but I will believe every single DCI judge before I'd believe you. What you post above is obviously biased/pseudo-trolling nonsensical bitter rhetoric. Say that you dislike the show design all you want, but saying their visual demand as 8th or 9th is just plane naive.

Why does it have to be trolling? He has an opinion, he feels a certain way about BD's show, can't that be all there is to it? Why does every post need a sub-text? I bring this up all the time with people. We all have opinions, they're all different, it's just one of those things. We should spend less time attacking people for opinions, and more time trying to formulate our own coherent and individual opinions. Just my $.02 on the subject.

Yeah, I enjoy being able to have fully civil discussions with people without them degrading into pot-shots, name calling, and unfounded biases.

HOLY C&@%!!!!!!!!! If they brought a streaker to run through the maze of mirrors towards the end, I think their show would go down in history as one of the most memorable. But the problem with the narrative is, "Why is he naked, and how did he end up naked in the maze of mirrors?" Sorry, just had to be philosophical, because your post was so super funny! :lookaround:

I think a Bruce Lee fight ala "Enter the Dragon" would be more funner in front of the mirrors!

I think a Bruce Lee fight ala "Enter the Dragon" would be more funner in front of the mirrors!

Ah yes. The climactic mirror scene.

Bruce Lee was always half-naked, with about as little body fat as MM have at the end of the season, so I guess that works.

Edited by saxfreq1128

fsubone has the story of Crown's show right.

The problem is that unless you go out of your way to look for the guard solos where this is being portrayed, you'll never notice them. They are often invisible due to poor staging.

Agree on BD's jazz run technique. The "tank treads" have always been good, but they were just out of this world last night. I'd also suggest that people who think BD doesn't do much marching are getting that impression because BD uses out of time movement to draw your attention to the part of the field that they want the focus to be on at that moment in the show. At any given time, most of the corps is marching, and doing it incredibly well. How they're doing so much other stuff without any dropoff in basic movement technique is pretty awesome.