Semi Finals Open Thread

But then they add, "razzle, dazzle" and "boom chocka locka" all they were missing was "army training" :)

I love it, a reference to Full Metal Jacke and Stripes in one show. And who would have imagined both Cyndi Lauper and Bon Jovi wouild be played in a DCI show. Strange year.

But then they add, "razzle, dazzle" and "boom chocka locka" all they were missing was "army training" :)

Well, there's always finals night to add in a Bill Murray sample from the synth. :lookaround:

Edited by mobrien

I didn't bother reading the last 10 pages of this thread, so I don't know if anyone else addressed this but, I do not agree with people who say, "CROWN'S BRASS SHOULD BE 1st." Carolina Crown plays with a musicianship unlike any other corps in the top tier, however, they have chosen compositions that are not friendly for visuals spread from endzone to endzone. Last year they won brass because they deserved it and because for 85% of the show the brass section was within a respectable range of one another. This year, a large portion of the drill is symmetrical and split upon the 50 yard line, without a proper balance of low and high voices from both side A and B. This results in an unfavorable listening experience for the judges. Also, it puts the members at a disadvantage because they never know if they are playing perfectly along with everyone else.

I'm just saying.... Crown's brass is awesome, but the drill writer needs to be retired.

If that doesn't make sense I apologize, semi finals beers = poor analytical judgement.

Full Metal Jacket sucked big time, but I would like to see the Cavies show. It would have been cool if they had gotten R. Lee Ermey to record an introduction for them.

I didn't bother reading the last 10 pages of this thread, so I don't know if anyone else addressed this but, I do not agree with people who say, "CROWN'S BRASS SHOULD BE 1st." Carolina Crown plays with a musicianship unlike any other corps in the top tier, however, they have chosen compositions that are not friendly for visuals spread from endzone to endzone. Last year they won brass because they deserved it and because for 85% of the show the brass section was within a respectable range of one another. This year, a large portion of the drill is symmetrical and split upon the 50 yard line, without a proper balance of low and high voices from both side A and B. This results in an unfavorable listening experience for the judges. Also, it puts the members at a disadvantage because they never know if they are playing perfectly along with everyone else.

I'm just saying.... Crown's brass is awesome, but the drill writer needs to be retired.

If that doesn't make sense I apologize, semi finals beers = poor analytical judgement.

Hmmm, Crown's brass was good, but apparently you and I weren't sitting in the same spot. It's hard to make a judgement by the caliber of the brasslines in the top 6.

Well, the thing here about Cavalier's show as I understand it, is that it's about Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder. I think one of the show designers came on here and said that a few weeks ago. Think about it from that viewpoint next time. The entire pre-show, with the members getting dragged around by other members, the weapon references, the guard member going insane in the middle of it all. Watch the expressions of the members, it's all in the big picture. Even the song alludes to this. It's Mad World, and if you know the song and lyrics, one of the big ones is, "The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had," it really goes into the theme. And the whole amped military orders being yelled out I think is supposed to be voices from the character's past, haunting him of his time in the service. The whole this is my rifle segment is brought in to show the military precision, which caused the guard soloist to go mad. The show breaks down into Charlie Chaplin's "Smile", and that's pretty much the best evidence I've seen for the theme. Listen to the lyrics of the song, "Smile though your heart is aching, smile even though it's breaking". Stuff like that really drives it home, and the masks that the guard wears show how people who suffer from PTSD are forced to try and assimilate into society and hide their disease. This whole show really ties in the theme better than any other show out there, I think, right ahead of Crown.

Disclaimer: This is all just my read on it. I could be wrong, I could be right, but this is what I get out of the show, and I love this show.

Have another beer...you nailed it. Crown has a gifted horn line. I would have loved to hear them live this year...especially in a stand still warm-up arc.

They took a big chance and are paying for it. Unfortunately, it is too late to start watering it down. However, assuming they can replace the talent they will lose to ageouts, some better coordination between music and visual could fix this problem next year. Each year is a learning experience. It is no secret that the corps with the most consistent staff seem to place at the top year after year. If the design team knows how to adjust, they will be right in the mix again next year.

Well, the thing here about Cavalier's show as I understand it, is that it's about Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder. I think one of the show designers came on here and said that a few weeks ago. Think about it from that viewpoint next time. The entire pre-show, with the members getting dragged around by other members, the weapon references, the guard member going insane in the middle of it all. Watch the expressions of the members, it's all in the big picture. Even the song alludes to this. It's Mad World, and if you know the song and lyrics, one of the big ones is, "The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had," it really goes into the theme. And the whole amped military orders being yelled out I think is supposed to be voices from the character's past, haunting him of his time in the service. The whole this is my rifle segment is brought in to show the military precision, which caused the guard soloist to go mad. The show breaks down into Charlie Chaplin's "Smile", and that's pretty much the best evidence I've seen for the theme. Listen to the lyrics of the song, "Smile though your heart is aching, smile even though it's breaking". Stuff like that really drives it home, and the masks that the guard wears show how people who suffer from PTSD are forced to try and assimilate into society and hide their disease. This whole show really ties in the theme better than any other show out there, I think, right ahead of Crown.

Disclaimer: This is all just my read on it. I could be wrong, I could be right, but this is what I get out of the show, and I love this show.

Wow, I hope you're right because this is a REALLY powerful show from that dialogue.

Have another beer...you nailed it. Crown has a gifted horn line. I would have loved to hear them live this year...especially in a stand still warm-up arc.

They took a big chance and are paying for it. Unfortunately, it is too late to start watering it down. However, assuming they can replace the talent they will lose to ageouts, some better coordination between music and visual could fix this problem next year. Each year is a learning experience. It is no secret that the corps with the most consistent staff seem to place at the top year after year. If the design team knows how to adjust, they will be right in the mix again next year.

I'm going for 3 times a charm for next year..maybe they'll use their lucky charm green plumes again...lol