Dan Acheson contract renewed as DCI Executive Director

garfield makes some great points in their post. This is not an act of "defiance". This is the new Board of Directors doing their job. If the G7 decides to split ... they will be acting in defiance..... not the other way around. Madison will NOT be joining them by any accounts. Jim Mason has been quoted as such (paraphrasing) "If they want to go off and go pro, fine, but not here .... that's not what DCI is here for".

Clearly the philosophy split falls along the lines of the famous statements made to the board by Scott Stewart in the late 90's .. and that of Hopkins. One side believes (the new board and apparently all non-G7 directors) that DCI is here to educate youth and foster system of brotherhood and cooperation in order to achieve that goal. The other side (G7) feels that they deserve more money because they are the draw .. in other words, they are feeling the squeeze of their rules changes and economic downturn ... it is effecting their bottom line and can no longer operate under the current payment structure from the DCI coffers.

Rather than fix what is broken, the G7 are poised to break things even worse with a WSODC format ... or worse, breaking away from DCI and competing against them directly. Huge philosophical differences in both camps. I side with the current Board of Directors and all NON G7 member corps .. including Open Class. If they want to leave, let them leave... and let the lawsuits begin. DCI will survive, they've (new BoD) shown they have the backbone, knowledge and determination to keep DCI intact and moving forward .... with or without the top acts of the 2010 season.

Yes, indeed. Well said.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

POSTER NOTE: The post / reply below is SOLELY my opinion, and is NOT meant to be directed at any young person currently participating as a member in any corps or person affiliated with a corps that is mentioned:

The "G7" concept was ill-conceived, and done with the motive of mainly one man -- George Hopkins. The other more or less "drank the Kool-Aid."

Mr. Hopkins has done some good things for drum corps, but over the past decade has created more "disharmony" than he will admit. Rules proposals that even he knew would never have a hill of a chance being passed (allowing saxophones in DCI comes to mind). While I have enjoyed several programs put out by the Cadets over the past few years, I often wonder why an organization with a rich "traditionalist" history continues to keep George Hopkins at the helm. Esepcially given his "track record" over the past 5 years -- let along wanting to cause major disunity with the "G7" concept!!

George -- when Sam Mitchell was hired to replace Don Pesceone, many people knew you applied for the DCI exec director job. Soon after Sam's appointment to the position, you started your "meddlings." When Sam Mitchell left -- you wanted the DCI job again. Dan Acheson got it. Again, you started your "meddlings" (personally, I think they were more like "tantrums") once again. A few months back -- you "questioned" the effectiveness of the direction of DCI -- and Dan Acheson's job performance. From my perspective, I still think in some ways you want the DCI Exec Director job.

If you ever come close to getting it -- that will be the day I stop supporting / attending / doing anything that has DCI connected to it.

I send mucho kudos to the DCI board for renewing Dan as the Exec Director!! While I have not always agreed with some things DCI has done (finals in Indy for numerous years is one decision I don't like), my observations of DCI as an organization during Dan Acehson's tenure is that the organization would not exist today if someone else was at the helm.

It is my hope that the current DCI board does "reach out" to the "G7," and make every attempt to keep the activity unified. I believe they will.

It is more my hope that the affiliated directors of the "G7" corps do the right thing for the activity and NOT "branch off." Should you do so, I highly believe that four -- possibily five of the seven will cease to exist as they do today in 3 years or less. As I said in an email to mostly all of the DCI board back in May when this whole G7 things started, some corps directors need to QUIT toying with the activity, and get on with the business of making it better and more solid for the future.

In closing - - I have a 3 1/2 yr old son who I would love nothing more than to have him auditioning for a drum corps in 12 to 13 years should he want to do so. But if certain people keep "toying with" and ruining the activity and its potential - rest assured I will do all that I can in my parental power to DISCOURAGE him from ever donning a uniform of a corps who's leadership participates / has participated in causing unnecessary and undue "conflict" within the activity -- to include the unit of which I am an alumni of!!!

Congradulations Dan and great job DCI board of directors ! Dan is the best choice by far for the job of Executive Director !

George -- when Sam Mitchell was hired to replace Don Pesceone, many people knew you applied for the DCI exec director job. Soon after Sam's appointment to the position, you started your "meddlings."

When Sam Mitchell left -- you wanted the DCI job again. Dan Acheson got it. Again, you started your "meddlings" (personally, I think they were more like "tantrums") once again. A few months back -- you "questioned" the effectiveness of the direction of DCI -- and Dan Acheson's job performance. From my perspective, I still think in some ways you want the DCI Exec Director job.

I just loves me some insider info :lookaround:

This was a stupid move. Not one of reconciliation, but of defiance. This almost guarantees a nasty split. I only hope when the G7 leaves they take Madison with them (G8). In time the rest will come begging!

No way all 7 of the Greedy 7 leave. At best, 2 or 3 will try something and rest will stay behind. If anyone goes it will leave a power vacuum that will be filled nicely with non G7 corps. I stayed home for The Cadets 3Cs show, and I will do so next year as well.

Congratulations to Dan A, nice show of support from the Pro DCI 16.

Great decision for the BoD!! Dan's the man for the job. Let the G7 go if they wish. Keep your chin up and keep moving forward for the betterment of ALL drum corps....ALL corps. Way to go BoD too!!

Hop already posted yesterday that Cadets WILL be a full member of DCI next year and that things WILL be worked out!!!

Congrats to Dan Acheson...and thanks!

The proof will be when Cadets /YEA / et all make it formal!!

Hop already posted yesterday that Cadets WILL be a full member of DCI next year and that things WILL be worked out!!!

Congrats to Dan Acheson...and thanks!

This is not necessarily as positive a development as it may sound at first. Hop pointedly said Cadets are not leaving in 2011, which most here agree they and the other G7 corps weren't strong/ready enough to do, anyway, even if DCI tells them to choose between toeing the line with all the other corps or leaving DCI now. It doesn't mean Cadets are willing to stick around after 2011 or whether they're willing to compromise on parts of the G7 proposals which seem designed to consolidate power around them for a future move to other corps' detriments. I can't say that that statement represents any kind of a change other than an admission that they're not prepared to leave yet.