Dan Acheson contract renewed as DCI Executive Director

DCI without the top 7-8 corps would be like attending a drumcorp show with two botom 12 corps and 10 B class corps. Sure it's still entertaining but not at the same level.

G7-8 could increase the length of shows and fully develop music and themes.

Let's be honest their are only a few shows each year that are stacked with world class competition. San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown and Worlds and a sprinkling of others. Most shows outside of those are over priced.

I don't think the corps are ready to make that leap but that move isn't far away on the calendar.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI without the top 7-8 corps would be like attending a drumcorp show with two botom 12 corps and 10 B class corps. Sure it's still entertaining but not at the same level.

Let's be honest their are only a few shows each year that are stacked with world class competition. San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown and Worlds and a sprinkling of others. Most shows outside of those are over priced.

I don't think the corps are ready to make that leap but that move isn't far away on the calendar.

You make a few valid points here -- but you neglect to mention / realize that any of the "G7-8" corps are one placement away from not being one.

Case in point - - Bluecoats until 2003 were not a "G7" unit. Phantom won the DCI title a couple of years ago -- and are NOT a "G7" corps at this juncture, but PR still puts butts in the seats.

I don't think the corps are ready to make that leap but that move isn't far away on the calendar

This is an interesting point. QUESTION: Will the kids who want to march DRUM CORPS and not tour with "Hoppyland" flock to the BK, BAC, Madison's of the world? Will these groups get an influx up talent that might not have been there before?

Before we all jump up and down about this, how about a look at the other side of the coin. During Acheson's 14-year tenure:

- Many drum corps have folded and ceased operation

- DCI lost all forms of Finals broadcasts (The ESPN failure, then PBS altogether)

- The end of the Regional tours and organizations

- Sagging attendance

- The horrible move to Indy and locking in 10 years in an acoustic dungeon

- The complete transformation to judge-driven shows that are arguably alienating and turning away a large group of fans

- The possible defection of the G7 - and all of it's conflict and controversy

I don't know the guy personally or have an opinion about him. But as a long-time member/fan of DCI, I can't help but notice that the state of this activity that I love so much has declined quite a bit on his watch. I would love for some folks to post a list of positive things he has done for Drum Corps to help sway me in the other direction. Why is it such good news that he's been renewed?

Before we all jump up and down about this, how about a look at the other side of the coin. During Acheson's 14-year tenure:

- DCI lost all forms of Finals broadcasts (The ESPN failure, then PBS altogether)

- Sagging attendance

- The complete transformation to judge-driven shows that are arguably alienating and turning away a large group of fans

I don't know the guy personally or have an opinion about him. But as a long-time member/fan of DCI, I can't help but notice that the state of this activity that I love so much has declined quite a bit on his watch. I would love for some folks to post a list of positive things he has done for Drum Corps to help sway me in the other direction. Why is it such good news that he's been renewed?

I agree with you. Personally, I cannot abide a lot of DCI's decisions, and Dan is a failure. As one of my favorite VCs states, I never fired a CEO too soon. With the measurables that you list, Dan is not doing a very good job. And signing finals in a single venue for 10 years should be enough grounds for dismissal alone. I wish he would resign.

That happened during Pesceone's time as well...and before that...

The ESPN deal was purely one of finances...DCI could not afford the airtime. PBS dropped the broadcast NOT because of Dan, but because DUM CORPS FANS would call in during the pledge drives when finals were typically shows,make a pledge, and then not PAY that pledge....so we FANS are responsible for PBS not carrying the show, not Dan.

No I didn't forget that, once they become G7 it would require another corp not in the G7 to accept becoming a G7 member and I don't see enough corps below wanting to make that step.

Finals this year make it difficult to sell the G7 since so many stepped up their game in the top 12.

One of the "self beloved" G7 corps just got 9th in percussion......just sayin, if these corps wanna think they are all high and mighty get all your captions up to par.

the whole G7 is just created by self absorbed directors. I would be interested in what the instructional staffs of these corps think of the idea

- Sagging attendance

I actually had to step away from my computer after reading this and before replying for fear of saying the wrong thing.

To the person who posted this "laundry list" have you really been around the activity for a while? If so, let me respond to a few of your points:

DCI is NOT responsible for each individual corps fielding a unit or not. Each corps is its own entity. Many corps have ceased to exist mainly for financial reasons, but also due to factors that in its present organizational form -- DCI CANNOT correct. And DCI cannot correct them until the DCI Board takes steps to do so. Dan has no authority to make the changes.

Also -- unless you've been in a bunker for the last 10 years, it is almost economically impossible for some corps to exist today.

- Sagging attendance

Dan Acheson cannot force people to attend shows, and given the reduced number of competing organizations, less people will attend. I will say that a $15 to $25 REDUCTION in ticket prices for finals week would boost attendance!!

I'll give you the acoustic debacle, but th 10 yr lock-in was partially a financial move that keeps DCI more solvent, and Dan was the driving force behind it, with the board's approval.

If you truly know anything about the activity, you should know that the DCI board establishes the rules and judging sheets. I'll get a little higher on my soapbox now and say that until a BOLD move is made, and the corps directors themselves ARE NOT the ones solely approving the rules for juding, then the system by which units are judged will not get better. -- Again, Dan Acheson is NOT responsible for the judging system.

I will leave the rest of the bullet points alone and simply say that retaining Dan is best for the activity right now.