Dan Acheson contract renewed as DCI Executive Director

OMG! (I really hate these Politically Correct shorthands! ROFLMAO!) but have we now gone beyond our partisanship for OUR Corps and entered into a new arena of combat in this G7 vs. DCI turmoil?

The Bottom Line is, Do you believe (on either side of this issue) that these actions will promote, advance, & sustain Drum Corps?

I currently hold an anti G7 position, but am willing to be educated on this issue.

I believe that we DCP Posters, no matter our Personal bias for "OUR" Corps (and I freely admit that I have been the Lead Offender in this area) NEED to support ALL Corps, no matter their "World". "Open", blah, blah, blah, status.

If you, or more importantly I, can't do this, we should just shut the eff up, crack open another bottle of Jack, and stumble around the house, muttering to the only person who gives a darn to our opinions - OURSELVES!

Blue Devils - Congratulations!

Cavaliers - I thought you deserved to win!

Bluecoats - Where did you come from? Awesome!

Crown - I REALLY thought this year would be a standoff between you & SCV. Thanks for a brilliant Season!

Cadets/Garfield/Holy Name - What can I say that you don't already know? That I have loved & respected you since the early '50s?

You are always a "Class Act"!

Phantoms - I remember you as a "lower" level Corps fighting with the Purple Knights for local dominance. Now you have become 1 of the most inspiring & influential Corps in DC history.

SCV - There's nothing much to say beyond "Santa Clara Vanguards". One of DC's most legendary & respected Corps. Now tell Fiedler to get off his butt & take you to the Championship!

Boston Crusaders - YESSSSS!

And to ALL of you whom I have not mentioned, you are worthy of every bit of recognition, applause, & respect the appreciative audience has given you.

In closing, a special message to the Madison Scouts;

BITD '59-63. we Chicago Cavaliers thought we could whip ANYBODY (Blessed Sacrament was alway a "?"), but there were 2 Midwest Corps we ALWAYS kept a respectful eye on - The Belleville Black Knights and even more, the Madison Scouts!

I cannot begin to tell you how grateful I am that you're still here and that this year you reeducated all of us on Drum Corps as it was. is, and should always be! CONTINUE THE "SLAUGHTER"!!!

And to all of you who read this, I can only say, Thank You for allowing me to be a part of this Family, and as always...

SPLOOIE!!!

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is exactly one of the reasons I referenced the Bill Cook article. There in lies one of the problems...what you just said above.

I wouldn't use Bill Cook as an authoritative reference. Among HIS other mistakes, he defines bingo as "The Life Blood of Drum Corps", and he was an active proponent of corps owning their own buses and leasing them in the off-season ... Two business models that don't work for the activity (at least any longer.)

Moreover, Bill Cook was a failure in drum corps ... He could not work and play well with others, and when he realized that, no matter how much money he poured into the activity, he could not buy power or influence, he left.

Like it or not, this is an activity that needs monumental consensus-building skills in which to succeed, because in the final analysis you are dealing with people who are artists, educators, and creative people first, and business people only by way of need ... They can't function under Bill's idea of a benevolent dictatorship, even if they tend to run their individual corps that way (and, btw, that model doesn't work out too well in the long run either.)

I find it more believable that everyone in DCI was onboard with this G-7 idea (in a similar fashion) and the G-7 became frustrated at the lack of speed DCI was taking to make this transition or the lack of success they were seeing and decided to take matters into their own hands now. I believe this whole "Marching Music's Major League," ESPN, a state of the art stadium (Lucas Oil Field), the rule changes, was basically along the same mindset as what the G-7 currently has.

So you believe that the use of the name "major league" proves that the other 16 corps wanted to have their voting rights, money and access to shows taken away, just not quite this quickly?

So you believe that the use of the name "major league" proves that the other 16 corps wanted to have their voting rights, money and access to shows taken away, just not quite this quickly?

That is not what I mean. What I am saying was when all the things I mentioned were happening years back and all the corps were in one happy boat, they were all aboard with this mentality of what they wanted drum corps to become or transition into, before the revolt (or insert your choice of word here) began. That is how I mean that.

well said

Just playing Devils advocate but it depends on what you define as success.

From a business perspective I don't see DCI as a successful business model. If it's not growing it's dying. Declining fans and revenue spells failure.

When you factor in a tough economy it cannot sustain itself without bringing in new faces at a faster pace. As of right now I would say that it's barely staying afloat. Kids cannot be expected to continue to pay outrageous rates to keep corps viable.

In my opinion it's not the product that's the problem but it's the marketing before, during and after the season. I believe corps have a responsibility to sell not only their corp but DCI as well. Corps need to establish relationships with local and surrounding city goverments and school districts. I suspect only a few corps go the distance to offset their costs and costs to their members. Every avenue of marketing needs to be explored.

In terms of the product, the board and Mr. A have direct control over what happens on the field. Their decisions impact what we see on the field and how the performances are judged. More often than not fans are alienated and subjected to accepting what is pleasing to the judges and not what is pleasing to their own eyes, ears, and heart strings. This year appears to be an exception, previous years as a whole have been lackluster. When looking at downloads one would be quick to find that only a few corps consistantly pull in the big numbers.

How important are these downloads to DCi and the corps? I would say very important.

How much more money can DCI bring in by making the three days of championshps available to everyone at a price. I would guess more than they bring in actual attendance. People who can afford or live close to the finals venue will continue to attend this event. Those who can't don't. I can tell you from my own experience most theaters aren't jam packed. Maximizing viewers is critical. Sharing profits with a theater makes it a losing proposition. At the end of the day the theaters make more money.

I know I'm rambling here but if everyone put their minds together viable solutions can be found.

I wouldn't use Bill Cook as an authoritative reference. Among HIS other mistakes, he defines bingo as "The Life Blood of Drum Corps", and he was an active proponent of corps owning their own buses and leasing them in the off-season ... Two business models that don't work for the activity (at least any longer.)

Moreover, Bill Cook was a failure in drum corps ... He could not work and play well with others, and when he realized that, no matter how much money he poured into the activity, he could not buy power or influence, he left.

Like it or not, this is an activity that needs monumental consensus-building skills in which to succeed, because in the final analysis you are dealing with people who are artists, educators, and creative people first, and business people only by way of need ... They can't function under Bill's idea of a benevolent dictatorship, even if they tend to run their individual corps that way (and, btw, that model doesn't work out too well in the long run either.)

I'm gonna say this is more personal bitterness than fact.

Just playing Devils advocate but it depends on what you define as success.

From a business perspective I don't see DCI as a successful business model. If it's not growing it's dying. Declining fans and revenue spells failure.

When you factor in a tough economy it cannot sustain itself without bringing in new faces at a faster pace. As of right now I would say that it's barely staying afloat. Kids cannot be expected to continue to pay outrageous rates to keep corps viable.

In my opinion it's not the product that's the problem but it's the marketing before, during and after the season. I believe corps have a responsibility to sell not only their corp but DCI as well. Corps need to establish relationships with local and surrounding city goverments and school districts. I suspect only a few corps go the distance to offset their costs and costs to their members. Every avenue of marketing needs to be explored.

In terms of the product, the board and Mr. A have direct control over what happens on the field. Their decisions impact what we see on the field and how the performances are judged. More often than not fans are alienated and subjected to accepting what is pleasing to the judges and not what is pleasing to their own eyes, ears, and heart strings. This year appears to be an exception, previous years as a whole have been lackluster. When looking at downloads one would be quick to find that only a few corps consistantly pull in the big numbers.

How important are these downloads to DCi and the corps? I would say very important.

How much more money can DCI bring in by making the three days of championshps available to everyone at a price. I would guess more than they bring in actual attendance. People who can afford or live close to the finals venue will continue to attend this event. Those who can't don't. I can tell you from my own experience most theaters aren't jam packed. Maximizing viewers is critical. Sharing profits with a theater makes it a losing proposition. At the end of the day the theaters make more money.

I know I'm rambling here but if everyone put their minds together viable solutions can be found.

I agree with you a lot here...but......what you're talking about in many ways lies at the feet of each corps director to do, not Dan.

So the G-7 split, and commence a tour of incredible shows. How long before they start fighting among themselves. What do the corps from 8 on down lose?

They no longer will be the stage hands and props for the G-7

They will not be burning up fuel and transit time being housed 75 miles away from show site, while the G-7 are in site of the stadium

The sun will no longer be in their eyes at show time

They will have show schedules that will play to smaller cities and towns, and will be appreciated more because of this

They will be able to realistically operate within budgets that will will be determined by themselves.

They will not be forced to endure a tour schedule that over a period of time that will insure their demise, just as a hundred corps before them tried to do , In trying to keep up with the G-7

They will not leave corps and individuals in financial ruin that extend beyond drum corps

In reality, they have nothing to lose, other than looking at reorganization, and a somewhat less glamorous schedule.. Without all of the pressure, who know how well some of the corps might do

Actually they have nothing to lose ...........

So the G-7 split, and commence a tour of incredible shows. How long before they start fighting among themselves. What do the corps from 8 on down lose?

Actually they have nothing to lose ...........

... as long as they don't mind playing in front of crowds about 1/2 to 1/3rd the size they're used to.

The really depressing thing about this is that Regiment is in the G-7 T.T I <3 Regiment but I REALLY hope I don't have to make a decision between them and DCI down the road as far as auditioning (since I'm not in it YET) or continuing marching there (if I'm in at the time of the split).