I haven't seen a thread on this..

Why can't people make professional marching bands and leave the corps alone? I mean, it'd be more expensive, but why change something so many people love, just to please others? Why can't those others make their own circuit of marching bands? I don't think Drum Corps should have to suffer at the expense of marching band when they can co-exist. Any opinions?

Separate but equal went out the door with Brown vs Board of Education.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think so, right? I haven't marched yet and I think its pretty unfair for people like me who dream of marching in a corps to have people that want to turn it into something you can do at school.

You can play on a HS football team. Does that mean you are playing on the Dallas Cowboys or other NFL-level team? You can't 'do' the level of a DCI world class corps in just about any HS band. Why try out for region or all-state? Does playing in a HS orchestra mean there is no reason to have the NY Philharmonic? Or performing in a Musical at the HS eliminate the reason for there to be Broadway shows in NY?

The BD with WW would still be the BD. You think they'd let their performance levels suffer if they added WW?

I feel inclined to point out that drum corps has never been a static activity as far as instrumentation has been concerned, so for you to say that people need to "stop changing the activity you love" is to appeal to a concept of the "correct instrumentation" which is completely subjective and to try and impose a freeze on development which is both impractical and impossible.

That said, I don't really want woodwinds in drum corps either. But I recognize that this is just a personal preference and there's no real logical standing for me to say that George Hopkins is destroying "my" activity.

Why can't people make professional marching bands and leave the corps alone? I mean, it'd be more expensive, but why change something so many people love, just to please others? Why can't those others make their own circuit of marching bands? I don't think Drum Corps should have to suffer at the expense of marching band when they can co-exist. Any opinions?

You've really not seen a thread on DCP discussing people not liking woodwinds?!

I guess maybe it has been a few days since the dead horse was beaten...

Drum corps would not 'suffer' if WW were added, BTW.

Really? There is a very good chance that many, many thousands of legacy fans would immediately lose all interest and never spend another dime to support the activity. Drum corps is brass + percussion. Add WW, and drum corps becomes band, and drum corps no longer exists. I know you'll disagree, but I'm hardly the only person who believes this.

If adding WW is so important to Hopkins and whomever then why have they not been used already in the pit? This is allowed under the rules.

You can play on a HS football team. Does that mean you are playing on the Dallas Cowboys or other NFL-level team? You can't 'do' the level of a DCI world class corps in just about any HS band. Why try out for region or all-state? Does playing in a HS orchestra mean there is no reason to have the NY Philharmonic? Or performing in a Musical at the HS eliminate the reason for there to be Broadway shows in NY?

The BD with WW would still be the BD. You think they'd let their performance levels suffer if they added WW?

ugh BD with WW gives me the shivers..... yuck

You've really not seen a thread on DCP discussing people not liking woodwinds?!

I guess maybe it has been a few days since the dead horse was beaten...

says the kid who just started a 2011 prediction thread...

I feel inclined to point out that drum corps has never been a static activity as far as instrumentation has been concerned, so for you to say that people need to "stop changing the activity you love" is to appeal to a concept of the "correct instrumentation" which is completely subjective and to try and impose a freeze on development which is both impractical and impossible.

That said, I don't really want woodwinds in drum corps either. But I recognize that this is just a personal preference and there's no real logical standing for me to say that George Hopkins is destroying "my" activity.

I remember a time when Tubas we called contra bases and people would make fun of the band geek who was a tuba player. Well I guess thats all changed and I know its still brass but hmmmmmmmm a band term?

PS: no offence to TUBA, players just a reference.