So was the sound better in Indy this year?

I have not read much on the topic, and just did a quick glance to see if had been discussed already...

Just wondering if the changes this year improved the sound quality for those who attended finals. Was the roof open?

Edited by ssnapier

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday afternoon and evening weather was hot, muggy, and sticky, so the Quarterfinals roof did not open. Friday and Saturday saw more of the same oppresive heat.

I landed a front row seat on the 20 yard line - near the south endzone - and thought the sound was ok. But from this perspective, the instrumentation immediately ahead on the field was definitely more pronounced. And I actually liked hearing specific brass this way.

Snare drum rat-a-tats continue to richochet.

Ok... glad I skipped it then, that would have driven me bananas

From my improved vantage point over last year I thought the sound was much better. Last year I sat in section 435, last night in section 139. There is still an echo but the volume impact was very good there. I saw prelims from section 240 and it was great there.

I did catch a couple of shows from the the 10 yard lines when I'd duck in to catch a quick show. I was actually surprised that the sound even there was pretty good.

There were more drapes and curtains than last year, particularly over the north end zone glass. Perhaps that had an impact.

Bass drums are lost unless a solo voice. In fact why strangers write breaks on puff mallets astounds me.... You can't hear them. Snare shots do at times over power, and of course thunderous goo.

Brass wise I noticed at times densely scored low voice passages came across very muddy.

I was in the Lower level. I do know people that up high and sait was worse.

That said: I noticed an improvement afterbthursday when more draping was added in the back and seats and the windows on side 1 were covered. Really every seat along the back and zones should be covered.

As for the roof.... If they open it fine, but to really make a difference, all the glass on both sides will need to be opened too

In general, the sound is still muddy. I was also there for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and as long as you had a seat between the 30s you could hear the brass OK, the snares decently, but tenors and especially bass drums were lost unless they were featured.

I doubt we will ever get that roof open, and DCI should have thought of this. I can't imagine that there will be a year here in the midwest when it will not be muggy, humid, and in the high 90s, or where there is threat of rain.

How sad that we can't listen to these drum corps in the best possible setting for what should be the best shows of the season! Very SAD!!

Acoustics WERE much better. The addition of the sound panels really improved the quality and clarity.

Am not intending to be a wise guy !! As one of those people that do not have the expertise to judge the preciseness of percussion and bress, the fact that one is not worried about a downpour, wether or not the show will go on while traveling to finals, police and fire sirens, airplanes flying overhead drowning out part of the performance,mosquitos, guard flags blown into the next arwa code by strong winds, I can live with the minor effect of the show being inside......

Am not intending to be a wise guy !! As one of those people that do not have the expertise to judge the preciseness of percussion and bress, the fact that one is not worried about a downpour, wether or not the show will go on while traveling to finals, police and fire sirens, airplanes flying overhead drowning out part of the performance,mosquitos, guard flags blown into the next arwa code by strong winds, I can live with the minor effect of the show being inside......

Attended Atlanta this year and it was my first DC dome experience... it is vastly different.

That said I'll add another bonus... consistent lighting for all corps.

Go dig up your old videos and watch how at some of the stadiums the early performers were fully or partially covered by shadows or at least did not seem as visually appealing without stadium lighting.