Random DCA brainstorm thought

A second scenario I could see developing would be some of the DCA corps eliminating members over the age out yeah and aligning themselves with the DCI corps. This seems like a more likely scenario as the faces of DCA get younger and younger every year.

or the other way around,.............the former DCI corps could rearrange things and become all age,...........accept older members, scale back to a more reasonable budgetary model, go weekend only, adapting to the DCA way of doing things,.............with this scenario, DCA could easily handle the situation, regions expand, and life is good!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or the other way around,.............the former DCI corps could rearrange things and become all age,...........accept older members, scale back to a more reasonable budgetary model, go weekend only, adapting to the DCA way of doing things,.............with this scenario, DCA could easily handle the situation, regions expand, and life is good!

Gary,

This was what I suggested when I was lamenting the loss of the Garden State Circuit........ "Junior" corps could THRIVE without touring. Get the old GSC corps and you can have year-round activity for the kids, and a contest every weekend with a lot less expense.

In fact, with 3 junior, 3 senior, and 1 alumni, you have a GREAT show every weekend in probably 5 to 7 different cities at the same time. ALL under the DCA umbrella.

And the G7 can be the touring circuit under the DCI electric parasol.

Joe

I do not not see that happening.

DCA is still primary a NE activity and the DCI corps are spread out pretty wide across the regions. This would require travel on the part of all the DCA corps and I do not see that happening anytime soon. Then you have the whole issues of championships on Labor Day weekend. DCI kids are already going back to school. I@E Consumes pretty much the whole evening on Friday and Saturday day is Prelims. Sunday is alumni day and finals night. No room there to budge because everyone seems to need the down time between the Alumni show and Finals performance. So no,,I do not see that as a possibility.

The best we could hope for is "if" the G7 splits is to pick up some more regional shows outside of the NE.

I wonder from time to time whether or not something will happen in the Drum Corps World that will spawn a creation of a new circuit?

DCA is still primary a NE activity and the DCI corps are spread out pretty wide across the regions. This would require travel on the part of all the DCA corps and I do not see that happening anytime soon. Then you have the whole issues of championships on Labor Day weekend. DCI kids are already going back to school. I@E Consumes pretty much the whole evening on Friday and Saturday day is Prelims. Sunday is alumni day and finals night. No room there to budge because everyone seems to need the down time between the Alumni show and Finals performance. So no,,I do not see that as a possibility.

The best we could hope for is "if" the G7 splits is to pick up some more regional shows outside of the NE.

I think this would be a great opportunity for DCA to expand. Racine Scouts & Legends could join the midwest circuit. There are several OC corps in California and the west coast, they could have their own circuit as well. Nobody said all corps would have to go to championships every year. Several Cali OC corps didn't go to DCI this year.

I wonder from time to time whether or not something will happen in the Drum Corps World that will spawn a creation of a new circuit?

I think you are right on track there. If the G-7 splits there is certainly going to room for a new circuit.

many, many college kids are in DCA corps now,.............and it works for them just fine,...................weekend only kids can have summer jobs, be with family, and still march corps on the weekends,..................open you mind dude,...................

Why?

DCA is still primary a NE activity and the DCI corps are spread out pretty wide across the regions. This would require travel on the part of all the DCA corps and I do not see that happening anytime soon.

No it wouldn't. There are DCA Corps in a lot of the areas where non-g7 Corps are located. Why would DCA Corps from the NE be "required" to travel out of their specific region if they didn't want to.

Then you have the whole issues of championships on Labor Day weekend. DCI kids are already going back to school.

Here I agree with you to a point. That would be a difficult situation to overcome if it could be overcome at all. And it is the "only" logistic that could be the "monkey wrench" to spoil the entire notion. On the other hand Labor Day weekend could be considered a 4 day weekend. What college student wants classes on Friday. I know I certainly didn't. And the weekend could be expanded to include the following Monday which is usually observed as a "day off" from work AND school. The soloist for Blue Devils this year iss attending Slippery Rock University. He aged out and will be performing at DCA this Labor Day weekend. So it IS possible for college students to partake in DCA as a Junior circuit. Besides those "Junior" Corps could always consider themselves "All-Age" and join DCA that way. Get rid of all of the electronics and save themselves hundreds of thousands of dollars, only travel within their own region except for travel to Championships and save thousands of more dollars. Let's use some common sense here. Geez, common sense, what a concept. Certainly something that has been lacking in DCI for decades now.

I@E Consumes pretty much the whole evening on Friday and Saturday day is Prelims. Sunday is alumni day and finals night. No room there to budge because everyone seems to need the down time between the Alumni show and Finals performance. So no,,I do not see that as a possibility.

See above

"The best we can hope for"? Are you serious? There doesn't seem to be any g7 shows scheduled for the NE. Besides I truly doubt that the g7 concept is going to last more then a year or 2. g7 is going to be the snake that ate itself. The non g7 member Corps in DCI will not go along with those greedy ######## and DCI WILL prevail. Hopkins and his crew are pissing up a rope. Their latest game plan is to "try" to smooze up to DCI. I doubt that the non-g7 member Corps on the DCI BoD are going to buy into Hopkins delusions. The DCI BoD finally told him to take a hike and I seriously doubt that they'll let him back. As far as I'm concerned good ridents (sp).

Edited by NYSkyliner

DCA has enough issues on it's own to handle without adding the stress and cost of trying to be a one size fits all circuit.

DCA has enough issues on it's own to handle without adding the stress and cost of trying to be a one size fits all circuit.

I'm sure that if DCA was approached by those non g7 Corps or DCI something could/would be worked out. And on that note, knowing DCA as I do, they will not be the ones to initiate any discussions regarding a merger or absorption of any DCI Corps.