Random DCA brainstorm thought

the G7 thing isn't going to happen.

but where ideas like this could work is if there were regional associations again, like DCM, where DCI and DCA corps could coexist

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

problem...kids want to tour. DCA is not set up to support a touring model. corps will not want to lose kids.

the two models are not set up to coexist under one umbrella without a massive infusion of cash and office staff

Do the kids WANT to tour? Or is that what they consider the norm because they know of nothing different. Those corps that want to tour can do so if they wish, it just requires the corps admins to do planning on their own instead of relying on a central scheduling office.

i'm not so sure on that, based on the survey DCI released back around early June of questions asked to the members.

the tour and the experience, even at the OC level is a big draw. it's one of the few, IMO, good marketing plans DCI has implemented.

Jeff, if DCI released survey results of a DCI commissioned survey, don't you think it could be a little biased?

Do the kids WANT to tour? Or is that what they consider the norm because they know of nothing different. Those corps that want to tour can do so if they wish, it just requires the corps admins to do planning on their own instead of relying on a central scheduling office.

they have said they want to tour

Jeff, if DCI released survey results of a DCI commissioned survey, don't you think it could be a little biased?

well the kids didn't give glowing thoughts towards electronics or woodwinds

Hey you know what --

When in 10 or 15 years we are ALL standing around wondering where the good old days of DRUM CORPS went too..........because no one wants to change what it is that they do today.....Guess these types of discussion won't matter at all then.

The activity is bleeding - - in all areas. No idea should be off the table and I think our days of "we can't do this because we can't move that or we can't change that" are also coming to a close.

Pretty soon it won't matter. We are already looking at high priced twisted versions of marching band, where only the rich kids can march and only the well established corps can manage (not thrive).

SO, let's keep up the we can't change attitude and pretty soon - - that is all you will all have left.

Well Lynn, it isn't us who are going to change it because we don't financially have the means. From what I know of DCA they certainly don't either. Just what do you suggest? In order for change someone with big, big bucks is going to have to step up to the plate. I'm not sure there is anyone within the activity that can. And again, it comes down to who's version of drum corps should be the version that continues forward? I'm not sure there is any sort of real agreement on that from where I sit.

exactly. people who marched in the 70's want drum corps like they had it.

same for people from the 70's.

and the 80's

and the 90's.

and so on and so on.

Liz, you and Jeff are both right in what you are saying.....

However - - unless we are all willing to come together DCA, DCI, minicorps, ALUMNI's - - everyone and hash out a solution..................something - - we will all be left with nothing.

You can see the demise already with the state of DCI itself now - not including all the others.

Do I have a solution ? Nope. But I do know - - as with this and other threads.............there is NO coordinated effort to save any remnants of the activity because each party is in their own "well we have done it this way since the dawn of time, and we can't possibly change our thinking now" mode.

IF DCI or DCA were smart -- either one of these organizations or both could create a task force to put the whole "future of drum corps" issue on the table and at least get a coordinated, documented effort to do something, anything.

A task force doesn't cost a lot of money and you would have volunteers to sit on it in less than a minute coming out of your ears.

And it gets people talking face to face about the same concern DRUM CORPS - without the veil of message boards and comfort of the behind your screen computer zone.

NO ONE is willing to even do that. So what does that tell you?

It doesn't take a genius to figure out the each party has a vested interest in what they others do....... so why not talk to each other and figure out ways to make sure we are ALL here in 10 or 20 years.

But instead of talking, each organization just keeps doing what they have known how to do, while money gets tighter, membership in most cases dwindles and some areas turn into something that doesn't even look like drum corps any more.