Blue Devils Guard

So, I have a question for some one with more knowledge than myself. Exactly who is evaluated in the guard score? If a brass player sets their instrument down and picks up a rifle, is that part of the guard score? What if a brass player is not playing, but doing movement? What if that movement is the same as the guard?

I am asking this in relation to BD and the musician's contribution, plus or minus, to the guard score. It seems more than any other corps, their concept of "guard" is somewhat blurred.

Edited by DAvery

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question (and could also apply to the Cavies and their rifle drill).

I'm still a newbie, but I would think a lot of the musicians movement would fall under General Effect, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will let us know for certain.

Good question. I would guess Cavies brassline using rifles goes toward GE and likely the same can be said for Madison's guard using cymbals for a portion of the show - I doubt they were scored on the percussion sheets for this, but I could be wrong.

I would hope that any member picking up and playing a percussion instrument ( and not just using it for visuals) would affect the percussion score.

I remember one year in the 90s the glassmens guard started the show with tamborines and actually played them. I always felt that there was a lot of non unison attacks in that tamborine work and wondered if the percussion judge was taking that into account when he scored the percussion since the tamborine is a percussion instrument.

that's my understanding as well. It's the case in most marching band circuits-- anyone who is holding a piece of equipment is considered "guard" during the time they are holding the equipment.

i'm not sure and don't quote me, but if u are holding a piece of color guard equipment, you are fair game to the guard judge and the GE judge just as in the color guard.

i'm not sure and don't quote me, but if u are holding a piece of color guard equipment, you are fair game to the guard judge and the GE judge just as in the color guard.

So what exactly is "a piece of color guard equipment"? And does this mean they are not judged when they have no equipment? If they are judged when they have no equipment, then how do you determine a guard member with no equipment from brass member with no equipment?

Edited by DAvery

I am not trying to start a big thing, but here is my concern. I think the "guard" caption is past being a valid caption. The distinction between traditional guard members and musicians has gradually been blurred. This year's BD show even more so. It seemed the musicians were much more part of the guard presentation than any other corps. In the past twenty years guards have transitioned not by marching, but by other creative movements. IMHO, this is what made this year's BD show so different. In this show the musician's also joined the guard in using other creative movements, rather than traditional marching. In doing so, should they have been evaluated on the guard sheet?

Edited by DAvery

I am not trying to start a big thing, but here is my concern. I think the "guard" caption is past being a valid caption. The distinction between traditional guard members and musicians has gradually been blurred. This year's BD show even more so. It seemed the musicians were much more part of the guard presentation than any other corps. In the past twenty years guards have transitioned not by marching, but by other creative movements. IMHO, this is what made this year's BD show so different. In this show the musician's also joined the guard in using other creative movements, rather than traditional marching. In doing so, should they have been evaluated on the guard sheet?

Lots of corps do body movement and many more than BD. How about Bluecoats and their dance segment? Crown brass laying on the backs and doing hand and leg movements. Troopers lining up on the fifty and falling over. I don't know how you score that - guard, visual, GE - but I didn't see anything BD was doing in terms of creative movement that was all that different from what lots of other corps were doing this year and have been doing for many years.