The problem with the past two Cadets shows...

I wouldn't call 09 easy. but they have been stuck in this niche of storytelling shows that have produced mixed results and mixed reactions.

if they really want to break out, IMO, stop telling stories...because in the end, they over tell the story and it distracts people from the corps

The problem isn't the concept of storytelling (didn't Phantom win for telling a story?), it's the complete lack of depth in the story they are telling. Whenever they tell a story worth listening to, they will return to the top.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juxtaperformance in 2001 didn't have a theme or story and landed them in 2nd, so I don't believe you have to have a solid "story" to win, just win the captions.

Agree to a point. You still need a vehicle capable of maximizing caption scores. I don't think this year's Cadet program was that. Even if you could max out the brass and percussion scores the program had too many elements that tended to distract rather then enhance the opportunities in the visual and GE categories. I'd contend as well that the extraordinary marching demands of Cadet's '09 inhibited performance in the brass, percussion and visual captions.

What I'm saying is the vehicle does matter. BD gets that for sure. It's been able to max out its caption performance in part because the show is designed in a way that doesn't dilute the performer's achievement in the judges' eyes. Cadets haven't caught up to that concept yet.

HH

Guard came in 2nd last year.

You're right, and that's been their only really strong performance caption since 2005. They also had a top-3 drumline last year (except on finals night). Otherwise, they haven't had strong brass, percussion, or visual performance scores. If they can get that, they'll be top 3 -- maybe not win, since this doesn't completely account for effect (see 2003, where they were very strong performers, but didn't have the effect...so, were 3rd, rather than 2nd or 1st).

The last minute of this years show was championship material.

If only the first 9 minutes were...

It's funny, I thought Tumblers was the weakest part of this year's show. The ending was good, but not the rest of Tumblers. People never really COMPLETELY bought the drum solos, either -- a bit lacking in shaping.

Anyway, you're right that 2009 didn't have a story. They just couldn't get enough performance captions under control, and they judges were constantly divided on the visual effect.

I thought at first that this year's show would be a bit easier than past shows -- and I think it was to a certain extent. And yet, they still couldn't play/spin/drum/march well enough.

It's worth noting also that Cadets had 90 first-year members this year. We can only wonder how much better they might have been had the ratio been reversed so that 90s vets were leading the way.

HH

Hopefully we'll find out next year.

Edited by Wadep66

The problem isn't the concept of storytelling (didn't Phantom win for telling a story?), it's the complete lack of depth in the story they are telling. Whenever they tell a story worth listening to, they will return to the top.

But in 08 they tried and went way TOO deep. It's a tricky balance. "Worth telling" is awfully subjective. I might sit down and read a story about someone overcoming cancer and searching for fulfillment, but I sure as shitake don't want to watch a drum corps show about it.