The problem with the past two Cadets shows...

Again, I maintain that The Cadets are at their best without solid story lines or themes, and without characters. They are at their best with straight up drum corps. They almost always won't do stories/themes/characters "correctly".

I was talking with Chad about this -- some of us may wonder why they only seem to try looking glass-type or cutesey themes and stories, rather than trying a Mad World-type dark show. I think they almost CAN'T...because of the UNIFORM. Can you see Cadets marchers having ants-in-the-pants moves, rolling around, dancing...in the Cadet uniform? I can't. It would look silly. What do you think? I don't want them to change the uniform (the horror!!), but I think it limits the types of shows they can do...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I thought the 05 Door show was well done and well executed. It was the 06 where George fell onto the bong!

I think Mr. Sylvester had a lot to do with the 06 show. I'm one of the few that loved the singing ballad, and loved the jumping off tables.

I think of how glorious 1995 was and how trite and pandering 2002 was.

I agree about 2002, but I figured it was an (understandable) overreaction to 9/11.

1997 reminds me of something I forgot. How terrible the guard was this year in Cadet uniforms, tossing the shakos. A sad, pale comparison to what they used to be. That 1997 guard was outstanding, this year... not so much.

I just watched 1997 Cadets for the first time last night! What a surprise to discover that this year's show was echoing past work. (Undoubtedly the comparison has previously been made this year on DCP, but I missed it. And I wouldn't call this year's Cadets guard "terrible"!) Question: the 1997 guard at Finals was in a differently-colored outfit than the rest of the corps -- but was that always so through the season? This year they were identically garbed until Allentown.

In touring with the corps in 2005 for nearly the entire summer .. there is one major element to the Cadet story that most don't know.

Hop wanted OUT and was grooming his replacement. After the stress of that season in working with volunteers, a bus wreck, alumni sending countless emails to the admin RV filled with contempt for the '05 show design .. diminishing Alumni financial support and a long laundry list of other things .... the person being groomed to be the next director of The Cadets jumped ship and moved to another corps.

What has changed since then? I believe not much. Hop is just being Hop ..... he's burnt out, showed alot of contempt himself in past seasons (almost taking on the Star attitude of 93 with the 06 and 07 productions = FINE, you don't like us .. up yours and try this one on for size). I think NOT stepping down when he wanted to was a mistake. Everyone knows in their heart of hearts when it's their time to move on ................................... in that respect, Hop didn't follow his heart and is now doing the best he can to keep things going and bringing back the support of Alumni that he lost with those controversial productions that bore our name and legacy.

I'm sure he's still looking for the right person to take the reigns ... but it will be even harder to let go now with the outcome of the 05 departure of his potential future leader. Someone is going to have to show staying power before he decides he wants to walk away again.

Where some see problems with the 09 and 2010 productions .... I see a "reaching out" to the alumns and the old fan base to get behind the Cadets once again ...... by acting, playing and marching shows that define what the Cadets stood for in their prime. I applaud the efforts and think it's going to take some more courting to get everyone back on board with the program ..... until that happens .. Hop will be where he is.

That being said, he's "done it again" with this whole G7/WSODC fiasco. For once I just wish he would lay low and do his job ... and keep his mouth shut. If the focus were on getting the alumni back on his side, sending funds, increasing revenue internally, continue to put on shows that represent the Cadets traditions of excellence ......... the G7/WSODC wouldn't be needed anyway.

Ramble over ........... stick with it Hop and stay the course you're on now. Stop pressing the red button .. it says DON'T TOUCH! Just do your job and your life will get alot easier for you and your kids in The Cadets.

The problem isn't the concept of storytelling (didn't Phantom win for telling a story?), it's the complete lack of depth in the story they are telling. Whenever they tell a story worth listening to, they will return to the top.

true. and I wanted to say that but it didn't come out that way.

Again, I maintain that The Cadets are at their best without solid story lines or themes, and without characters. They are at their best with straight up drum corps. They almost always won't do stories/themes/characters "correctly".

I was talking with Chad about this -- some of us may wonder why they only seem to try looking glass-type or cutesey themes and stories, rather than trying a Mad World-type dark show. I think they almost CAN'T...because of the UNIFORM. Can you see Cadets marchers having ants-in-the-pants moves, rolling around, dancing...in the Cadet uniform? I can't. It would look silly. What do you think? I don't want them to change the uniform (the horror!!), but I think it limits the types of shows they can do...

Not so sure....2000 had some "light" moments and what kept it from being "hokey" was the fact that they played well, engaged the audience with their music and the concept wasnt too over the top.

1991 and 1989 presented stories, not full-fledged but stories none the less. If its done right with the correct attention to detail and it engages the audience with out pnadering or disrespecting them, it will be successful.

Cadets are somewhat unequaled with regards to visual/GE..when they are on their game. They need to get back to that "larger than life" ideal on the field with their design.

G

On a side note...

Just a couple of years back GH was panned for that moving/playing start to the show.

Like it nor not now everyone is doing it.

no, not everyone is doing it. I know I watched every corps in Indy, OC and WC

But in the years after '05 Hopkins seemed to be operating under the delusion that if a little bit of something is good, then a lot of it must be even better!

This is a mistake most beginning designers make. Oh, a little bit of this element is good, how about I add a whole bunch more?

You could also make a cooking analogy. If you don't know how the ingredients work together, you really can't make an appetizing recipe. I think that's a good analogy for the Cadets. There are some really good, quality ingredients with that corps. Guard. Brass. Percussion. But the chef who is putting the recipe together hasn't a clue how to put it all together, and you're often left with a bad taste in your mouth. The bigger problem, in my mind, is the cook doesn't even know he's not a good cook.

I agree about 2002, but I figured it was an (understandable) overreaction to 9/11.

I just watched 1997 Cadets for the first time last night! What a surprise to discover that this year's show was echoing past work. (Undoubtedly the comparison has previously been made this year on DCP, but I missed it. And I wouldn't call this year's Cadets guard "terrible"!) Question: the 1997 guard at Finals was in a differently-colored outfit than the rest of the corps -- but was that always so through the season? This year they were identically garbed until Allentown.

Yes, they had the green throughout the season. And I meant terrible in relation to the concept and the repetition..I should make that clear.

G

I think it can be done if drum corps gets back to letting the guard alone convey the theme/story/whatever. The amount of body stuff given to the corps proper is getting excessive in my opinion and totally not needed.

But I agree that, as of today, the cadets uniforms seem to pigeon hole them a bit in regards to what drum corps has morphed into.