Cadet's show YOU want to see in 2011?

I thought people said they didn't want more cheese.

I think they want Hans Zimmer. :tongue:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want something completely new. Not necessarily original music but new musical selections that no corps has done before. I know I'm in the minority here but I don't want another rehash of West Side Story or Appalachian Springs or whatever. I'm really tired of seeing corps rehashing shows and dubbing it "return of the classics". This is DCI, where the standards of design and performance in the marching arts are set and advanced. The Cadets need to return to the forefront of that and bring the pageantry world another game changer.

I want something completely new. Not necessarily original music but new musical selections that no corps has done before. I know I'm in the minority here but I don't want another rehash of West Side Story or Appalachian Springs or whatever. I'm really tired of seeing corps rehashing shows and dubbing it "return of the classics". This is DCI, where the standards of design and performance in the marching arts are set and advanced. The Cadets need to return to the forefront of that and bring the pageantry world another game changer.

This.

Let's create some new classics, shall we?

I prefer the Cadets when they play 200bpm wind ensemble music that hasn't been put on the field before. I guess that makes me a "Cadets of Bergen County" fan.

Bjork was pretty awesome, too. Maybe they should pick a songwriter like Imogen Heap.

Edited by Chris Rohn

Obviously you didn't watch any of the other top 12 shows since some of them had more electronics and Cadets didn't even have any narration this year or last. :tongue:

Yeah, but Hopkins is the person ultimately responsible for the rule change (yeah yeah, majority of corps directors voted in favor blah blah). And anyway, that's exactly why it would be awesome for the Cadets to the be the corps to do it.

Want to prove that you can set the marching world on its ear . . . again . . .and still remain true to the concepts of drum and bugle corps? Do it musically, instead of attempting to force the issue thematically.

Go places people are still afraid to.

George likes to riff on the PBS/NPR angle . . .well, here's something that does so (borrowing from the "American Experience" docs, but without having to cling to stilted narration for its common thread).

If successful, this has the potential to springboard to a sequel or even a trilogy . . .all drawing from the unique tapestry of American history: triumphs, wars, conflicts, and so on.

This show looks at American history through the works of 1920s/1930s composers, with a strong jazz (uniquely America) feel, underscored by classical underpinnings.

Cadets 2011: The Depression: A Prism of the American Experience

American_Experience_logo.png

Preshow: "America, the Beautiful", backfield (similar in concept to the version used by the "O Canada" hybrid that used to exist at retreats). . . corps is announced right before the "fruited plain" part, and turns around for the final strains to be played "in your face".

Drill end set here slowly coalesces from scattered marchers to a star formation (that hits during the turnaround, BYBO part), cutoff. Quick tempo change to . . .

I. "Reckoning": this beginning section is a play on the modern Civil Rights movement, but, instead of drawing on tired cliches, this pulls from the happier sounding "Animato" section of William Grant Stills "Afro American Symphony". (from Paul Dunbar: "An’ we’ll shout our hallelujahs, On dat mighty reck’nin’ day").

This can gradually "darken" from the light feel of that movement to intersperse the "Adagio" section from the symphony (or even offer it as counterpoint, given Bocooks talent). I'm not sure how to end this movement, but in order to create an eleven minute seamless production, probably a backfield taper into some front ensemble work.

II. "Pastoral": here, we slow things down, and see ourselves through the filter of both the racial tensions in the country and anti-war conflict. Again staying away from using an obvious "anti-war" protest song here, we use "Strange Fruit" by Billie Holliday . . .(look up the poem this based on for how this relates; it may be a little too harsh word-wise for DCP standards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Fruit ).

This may have to be massaged a bit to create the necessary tension, but through the guard and a little "drum corps" arranging, that should be easy to do.

III. "Skylines": a tribute to American gumption (going for a feeling similar to the airy lightness that 1999 shot for with "The Big Apple") but also a celebration of the skyscrapers that are built and rebuilt every day in our country (9/11 could be touched on here somehow, but not directly referenced).

This intersperses John Alden Carters "Skyscrapers" ballet with some of Nathaniel Shilkret's "Skyward". Lots of notes here, some jazz . . .and plenty of fast paced stuff for a classic "Cadets" ending.

It's almost entirely drawn from Depression era music and the visual possibilities could run the gamut from something along the lines of the "Newsies" look the Scouts had this year to a stylized version of the zoot-suit.

I think it would be possible to enjoy this show on its own merits with one viewing . . .but, for the cerebral fan, there would be plenty to grab onto with repeat viewings.

Don't flame me too hard . . .I'm not a show designer, obviously. :tongue:

So heres the deal...I have been reading so much stuff about "The Cadets should be doing this!" or "Why aren't the Cadets doing this?" Lets cut the crap. People are ready to put their two cents in so lets hear what you have to say.

Gimmie your dream Cadet show, the show of 2011, the show to END all shows!!

In my opinion, I think the Cadets should stay the course and keep bringing back good drum corps. Inspiring young people is how we are going to survive as a sport because if you have not noticed people...Drum Corps International IS dying. :thumbup:

So give the goods Hop! Gimmie some Drum Corps where the feet are sick, the flags are furious, the drums make you grovel at their feet, and the brass tears the face of your unborn child off! (preferable in Ab Major :tongue: )

FHNSAB...

Judging from the attendence this year at the various venues I attended and at finals....I don't know where you're getting your DCI is dying idea???