Cadet's show YOU want to see in 2011?

I liked the undiscovered Bernstein direction they were pursuing in 2009, before they settled on WSS. Thought they were going to give us something like Chichester Psalms, Mass, more from Jeremiah etc. in that year. I would still like them to try that idea going forward. Maybe some undiscovered Copland would be cool too... something like SCV 98.

A Holsinger revisited piece, (To tame the Perilous Skies). I would love to see that again, if they decided to do a retro piece.

I would also agree with prior posts, of having those mello runs back, incredible drill like 98, or a show with some Americana mixed in.

Mass has a ton of unused material that could literally kick ###. and he could do some thematic stuff with it, as long as he doesn't go overboard

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a facebook post recently where GH said he was interested in doing musicals; he named a few, including "The Producers." So yeah, I'd like to see that done as their 2011 show. Heck, let's even use the voice amplification... "I vos born in Dusseldorf, and that is why they call me Rolf!"

I'm not a fan of drum corps trying to translate musicals to the field. I know it's been done successfully in the past, but...

Blah.

Not original enough for me.

In all honesty, I think the Americana has been done to death by the Cadets. While generally, those shows end up being pretty well received by the crowd, I'd rather see them set off and blaze a completely different trail (while still being pretty well received by the crowd).

I see your point there, and generally agree.

The two literal Americana type shows from them in recent memory (1995 and 2002), I think were good choices for those years. Considering it as a reflection of those years and times, (50th of V day & 9/11) they fit well.

But seeing something like this again in 2011, for a whole show, with so much literal Americana- Yeah, I agree with you.

The Americana feel in what I would like to see in them, is less literal. Maybe something in a undiscovered Copland piece, a Holsinger piece, even Ives. Not literal, but still pertaining to an American feeling in the music. Something like 87 and 88 was.

Not so much 96- (leave that to Troopers now). Cetrtainly, a whole lot less or not even relating to 95 or 02.

Rather hard to describe in words. But hopefully the shows or composers I am talking about, help create the picture.

I would love them redo their 1986 with modern updates and call it "Rediscovered Bernstein".

Or they could do a show based on Star Trek - The Next Generation and have Jeffrey get

assimilated by the Borg!

I would love them redo their 1986 with modern updates and call it "Rediscovered Bernstein".

Or they could do a show based on Star Trek - The Next Generation and have Jeffrey get

assimilated by the Borg!

Ugggh, I'm sick of them doing Bernstein. It's like a Cadets trademark and it's been done to death.

Just want Cadets to give us something like:

First piece - Something fast and furious.

Second piece - Something that shows off the amazing drumline.

Third piece - A beautiful ballad that shows off the excellent marching technique and displays the balance and control of the hornline, and brings the colors of the guard.

Fourth piece - Something to wrap it all up with drill and music that brings everyone to their feet.

Ugggh, I'm sick of them doing Bernstein. It's like a Cadets trademark and it's been done to death.

Just want Cadets to give us something like:

First piece - Something fast and furious.

Second piece - Something that shows off the amazing drumline.

Third piece - A beautiful ballad that shows off the excellent marching technique and displays the balance and control of the hornline, and brings the colors of the guard.

Fourth piece - Something to wrap it all up with drill and music that brings everyone to their feet.

Yes please.

Thank you sir. May I please have another?

I'd like to see the Cadets do something about war again... (no, I didn't get enough from Cavaliers this year!)

I think it would be cool to hear Music for Prague, 1968 on the field, though I admit it might not be American enough for Cadets' normal fare. In the right hands this piece could be as controversial as Blue Devils this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM57UiYgg8A

I saw a facebook post recently where GH said he was interested in doing musicals; he named a few, including "The Producers." So yeah, I'd like to see that done as their 2011 show. Heck, let's even use the voice amplification... "I vos born in Dusseldorf, and that is why they call me Rolf!"

Oh man! I can picture it now! It'd be just like Phantom in 08. Big build up, bigger build up, even bigger build up, and then the entire audience, as loud as possible all shouting at once

That's our Hitler!