Cadet's show YOU want to see in 2011?

Want to prove that you can set the marching world on its ear . . . again . . .and still remain true to the concepts of drum and bugle corps? Do it musically, instead of attempting to force the issue thematically.

Go places people are still afraid to.

George likes to riff on the PBS/NPR angle . . .well, here's something that does so (borrowing from the "American Experience" docs, but without having to cling to stilted narration for its common thread).

If successful, this has the potential to springboard to a sequel or even a trilogy . . .all drawing from the unique tapestry of American history: triumphs, wars, conflicts, and so on.

This show looks at American history through the works of 1920s/1930s composers, with a strong jazz (uniquely America) feel, underscored by classical underpinnings.

It's almost entirely drawn from Depression era music and the visual possibilities could run the gamut from something along the lines of the "Newsies" look the Scouts had this year to a stylized version of the zoot-suit.

I think it would be possible to enjoy this show on its own merits with one viewing . . .but, for the cerebral fan, there would be plenty to grab onto with repeat viewings.

Don't flame me too hard . . .I'm not a show designer, obviously. :thumbup:

Uh...I think it's called "1930" and was done just recently by some corps.. :tongue:

However, it's a cool idea!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh...I think it's called "1930" and was done just recently by some corps.. :tongue:

I suppose you could look at it that way . . .I guess I could consider the Blue Devils 2009 show to be a safe, history book version of the "Depression". I was thinking something a little more out-of-the-box than that.

The best Cadets show was 2000, and Disney has produced a ton of even better music since then for Fantasmic and now World of Color. Both of those would make excellent shows, and this is the only corps that can do it without being labeled as playing Disney music.

Or Right of Spring, because that just needs to happen.

The best Cadets show was 2000, and Disney has produced a ton of even better music since then for Fantasmic and now World of Color. Both of those would make excellent shows, and this is the only corps that can do it without being labeled as playing Disney music.

Or Right of Spring, because that just needs to happen.

Tapestry of the Nations would be just FANTASMIC! :-D

Anything without the folowing:

Stupid characters

Voice

Synths

Props

Come on Hop, make me wait to get my hot dogs next summer!

I liked the undiscovered Bernstein direction they were pursuing in 2009, before they settled on WSS. Thought they were going to give us something like Chichester Psalms, Mass, more from Jeremiah etc. in that year. I would still like them to try that idea going forward. Maybe some undiscovered Copland would be cool too... something like SCV 98.

A Holsinger revisited piece, (To tame the Perilous Skies). I would love to see that again, if they decided to do a retro piece.

I would also agree with prior posts, of having those mello runs back, incredible drill like 98, or a show with some Americana mixed in.

I liked the undiscovered Bernstein direction they were pursuing in 2009, before they settled on WSS. Thought they were going to give us something like Chichester Psalms, Mass, more from Jeremiah etc. in that year. I would still like them to try that idea going forward. Maybe some undiscovered Copland would be cool too... something like SCV 98.

A Holsinger revisited piece, (To tame the Perilous Skies). I would love to see that again, if they decided to do a retro piece.

I would also agree with prior posts, of having those mello runs back, incredible drill like 98, or a show with some Americana mixed in.

In all honesty, I think the Americana has been done to death by the Cadets. While generally, those shows end up being pretty well received by the crowd, I'd rather see them set off and blaze a completely different trail (while still being pretty well received by the crowd).

A tribute to their past and from where they came..... Appalachian Springsteen

with the opener of " Born to Run from Simple Gifts"

You know what I'd simply like to see out of Cadets?

They always find fine music, though they seemed to make an effort to find the most obscure Jethro Tull the one year which hurt them.

Write your visual package, choose your music. Suprise me in that way.

My only suggestion would be, to get rid of narraration or the little miked sound bites of any sort (which drove me batty in '09 and were utterly and totally unnecessary!), any mincing characters running about, and just do a show built around the fine music and visual package that was chosen, please. They have the finest talent, and the ability to present exciting performances without the need of the distractions and the things that provoke the fans rather than inspire them, which is what the Cadets can be capable of doing when they just simply perform in a sublime manner.

And I'll even let you ramp up your amps and Synths as much as you feel necessary, just please play, march, and cut out all the silly and extremely irritating fol-de-roll.

I saw a facebook post recently where GH said he was interested in doing musicals; he named a few, including "The Producers." So yeah, I'd like to see that done as their 2011 show. Heck, let's even use the voice amplification... "I vos born in Dusseldorf, and that is why they call me Rolf!"