Pioneer

To all the Monday morning quarterbacks on this thread. If you really want to see Pioneer improve, why not write them a check? A little more monetary support would certainly help them become more competitive

I support other corps, Ed. But thank you.

Tom,

I was not referring to you personally and I am very happy that you support other corps. Almost all of them need as much help as they can get. My point was that many people posting here think they have the answers but do nothing but offer opinions. From other threads it is obvious that you actively support other corps.

On the other hand, you have been ragging Pioneer all season about the kids going to church, the show about the corps prayer and generally everything that Pioneer stands for. So, Pioneer is not run to your liking. Well sir, my son marches with Pioneer and I don't agree with everything they do either. The point is that I don't make it a big issue on a public forum. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but if you aren't a part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

Pioneer has done a lot of good for a lot of kids over the years, and they continue to do it. What they do doesn't fit everyone's model but they are footing the bills and making an honest effort to contribute to the activity. I don't believe many people can find fault with that.

Tom

For crying out loud....if you support other corps why in the world are you constantly on all the Pioneer threads? If you are on all your "other" supported corps threads, it is unfortunate DCP dosn't pay by the hour. Nobody cares what or how you feel about Pioneer. We are tired of you and your negativity. It is really old......Obviously, you have a beef with someone or something about the corps, get over it and do us all a favor once and for all! We are trying to celebrate a season here and my son who just returned from a season of marching, says geez, who is this Tom Brace guy who hates Pioneer so much? Nice.......

Maybe I'm bringing up a dead issue, but what happened to Don Allen? I only remember him being the face of the corps and the one man hype and recruit machine for Pioneer all season. What did I miss? Falling out mid-season?

And myself and many, would not support Pioneer financially until we're supporting something we are behind. I can not get behind the current model of Pioneer. But wish them the best in their personal endeavors.

To my knowledge drum corps is neither anti or pro any religion.

Evidently, at least since Pioneer was formed, there have not been 150 God fearing musicians joining Pioneer.

And if throwing babies is a defining point, then yes, DCI is Sodom and Gomorrah.

And finally, thank you for playing.

Why do you have to be christian to march pioneer? From what I understand (and I know several people who march there and I've talked to their staff on several occasions) you don't have to go. People go to catholic school without being catholic because of the institution, if say the Cadets had an optional church session on Sunday that wouldn't stop me from participating at all.

Why do you have to be christian to march pioneer? From what I understand (and I know several people who march there and I've talked to their staff on several occasions) you don't have to go. People go to catholic school without being catholic because of the institution, if say the Cadets had an optional church session on Sunday that wouldn't stop me from participating at all.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ATTEND CHURCH and you don't have to wash the busses with a toothbrush either. My son is getting alot of laughs tonight. Actually, there were probablly more Sunday's this summer that the corps didn't attend Church. Me personally, I have never attended Church. I believe what I believe, but having my son attend and taking a few precious hours a week out to sit together with his friends, sunburn and all made for a nice morning. Rumor has it that the corps even gets pancakes on Sunday morning....!

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ATTEND CHURCH and you don't have to wash the busses with a toothbrush either. My son is getting alot of laughs tonight. Actually, there were probablly more Sunday's this summer that the corps didn't attend Church. Me personally, I have never attended Church. I believe what I believe, but having my son attend and taking a few precious hours a week out to sit together with his friends, sunburn and all made for a nice morning. Rumor has it that the corps even gets pancakes on Sunday morning....!

What do they eat the rest of the week for breakfast? Or other meals for that matter. I'm assuming that with everything else I've heard about their day to day operations that their food is average at best. But is that correct? I'm not saying that I know of anyone ever picking a corps based on food, but the more I hear about Pioneer, the more the day to day operations and show design seem to be the biggest factors in what holds back the corps.

What do they eat the rest of the week for breakfast? Or other meals for that matter. I'm assuming that with everything else I've heard about their day to day operations that their food is average at best. But is that correct? I'm not saying that I know of anyone ever picking a corps based on food, but the more I hear about Pioneer, the more the day to day operations and show design seem to be the biggest factors in what holds back the corps.

Well, lets see.....the weekend of June 5th when my husband and I cooked, the corps got hamburgers and brats on the grill......hmmmmm.....seeing as though I've spent many days watching practice and traveling to shows, I would say that their food is very typical to most of the Corps....."Average at best". My son personally hated the food, but welcome to the life of drum corps and it sure helped his waist line. He survived........

To all the Pioneer supporters out there...

I frankly am negative about more corps than just Pioneer...not all the corps, but more than Pioneer.

They were once the premier Div. II corps in the world. I watched other corps self destruct in trying to chase them for a title. They were the cream of the crop in Div. II and wore it with appropriate swagger at the time.

This current version of the corps is a shadow of its former self. The causes are too numerous to mention except to say..stuck in time. That's the very definition of a relic is. Stuck in time. So tied to tradition, to the ways that used to work. Well, life moved on. Drum corps changed. Relic. Appreciated by some...maybe even many.

The analogy I make is with Star's alumni performance in LOS on semifinals night. I didn't stay to watch it. I couldn't because I knew it would be merely a shadow of what this corps was. Heck, they weren't around long enough to build a huge alumni base. I just knew it was going to be a disappointment.

Pioneer strangely enough has a similar alumni problem. Most of Pioneer's alums are ageouts of other corps...sort of a split allegiance. Many support the corps they aged out of...got rings with, etc. That makes it even harder for Pioneer to tap them for much needed cash.

And as sad as it is to see...cash is the calling card in today's drum corps. Without it, the activity becomes increasingly difficult.

So, I am negative, not about Roman, or the members, but how this once mighty Midwest powerhouse can drift so far from where it was when it was great. A time when a troop of the stands was looked forward to. A different time. Very different time.