Pioneer

You know what, I will back Kimmie up on this topic as well. I have marched Pioneer in 2008 and 2009 and I will say that if it was not for them, I would not be in drum corps at all. I am a saxophone converted into a baritone player and all I have to say is many thanks to this wonderful corps for taking me in as one of their own members, no matter how bad of a baritone player I was (and trust me I was pretty bad ;P). And yes you might be right with the scores, it does knock some people down within the corps, I know because it did that to me sometimes, but after the season the score does not matter. The horrible bus rides does not matter, the sleepless nights does not matter, and neither does anything else that went horribly wrong because at the end of each season I look back and see the great memories that I had and the great friends that I have made throughout the tour and truthfully just the experience itself is a blessing to have. Although we might not have the luxuries as many other corps, we have just as much fun getting our ### kicked and getting a show on the field and its like what one of our music directors told us. You cannot start from the top and be fantastic right from the get go, at first you start from the bottom and then work your way to the top. If you look at BD, they were not great from the beginning, neither was the Bluecoats, and if you don't believe me at these points then look at the Boston Crusaders who almost the bottom of the pack to getting to finals almost every year that I have watched DCI. Pioneer does have problems, but thats something the staff and students are working extremely hard to get fixed and become better. The staff does everything in their power to help the students become Better Everday and so what if this corps is Roman's baby, in my opinion the man is a good man for the good that he is doing. Bottom line, DCI is a program to get kids together and do something productive and something that these kids love to do, it's never about the scores its about the experience that you take from this program.

Except it's not a requirement. It's an opportunity that is presented to members to utilize if they so desire.

.... and used to be more common. I seem to recall 27th doing this even on tour. Also with SCV we had a church right next to our summer rehearsal site at Mission College - result was no instruments until after noon on Sundays.

Here's some ideas I've been mulling over and plan on presenting to Roman concerning show design.

Pioneer 2011 - "In Sunshine or in Shadow". Title lifted from lyrics of "Danny Boy", which is where the Irish ends. OK, maybe a little snippet of melody from said title.

Music choices are endless. Add yours.

Pioneer 2011 - "The End of the Rainbow", in honor of their Golden Anniversary. And no, there will be no Over the Rainbow.

I'll add my choices tomorrow. It would be fun to see what other suggestions people might have.

Oh, and another thing. White dress shirts, fitted black vest and formal black kilts. I think that would look classy and bad-@ss at the same time.

So what do the members do who don't go? Rehearse?

No. They wash the corps truck with a toothbrush.

Oh, and another thing. White dress shirts, fitted black vest and formal black kilts. I think that would look classy and bad-@ss at the same time.

This reminds me of a conversation we (The Renegades) were having after seeing our corps new uniforms on the whole corps for the first time... We were in LA and were on the streets talking about how Bad A@@ we looked when we looked across the street and there were a bunch of street thugs laughing at us... Well I guess Bad A@@ is a relative term! :cool:

The Hats - They are what makes us unique, and as staff members we don't even bring it up because it is not up for discussion (in fact I don't know if I’m even supposed to be talking about it now!)

IMHO, What makes a corps unique is its traditions and the atmosphere they create for their members. Uniforms are just uniforms. Blue Stars went through this recently as theyve moved up, leaving behind helmets, cross-straps, buckles. Overall the changes have been good for them (though not to say there wasnt quite a bit of discussion and intial disagreement about it), and i dont think most alums feel disconnected from the corps just because we wear something different... because we know theres more to our corps than what we wore during shows.

Just something to consider. A new image could be a good thing for pio.

I get sooooo incredibly tired of reading these threads. Having had the opportunity to march in the late 90's and work with Pioneer for the past few seasons I would like to begin by stating that I am proud of every member that I have had the opportunity to teach, and every show they have performed..... We can all talk about how The Corps needs this, or needs to do away with that.... but there are some truths that need to be addressed.

Things that aren't going to change.

The Hats - They are what makes us unique, and as staff members we don't even bring it up because it is not up for discussion (in fact I don't know if I’m even supposed to be talking about it now!)

Church - I love how these threads always come down to church! Is that what's really keeping The Corps small and out of semis? Think about that statement. Let's talk to Gibbs and have him take BD or BDB to church during camps and see if 2 hours off of rehearsal and pancakes for breakfast a few times knocks them down to last..... Really!?

Boys in the Guard - Its not going to happen and that's fine... it's certainly not what's keeping the numbers down. It took Regiment years to build up boys in the guard and with so many corps, including the 2 remaining all-male corps, in the area, I don't think opening up a co-ed guard is going to see The Corps field 50 flags next season!

Equipment and Transportation - This IS where The Corps has vast room for improvement. I can say this easily, but I am not able to open up my checkbook (or even my change-purse right now) to help fix this problem. I know all of us have stories of "back in the day" when everyone had their own beat-up retired Greyhound MCI's.... but that is the exception nowadays, not the rule. The Corps needs physical and financial help to improve the transportation situation. Wisconsin has recently gone non-smoking, and Bingo has taken a big hit, so I do not know where the answer lies.

Pioneer is a great corps were I have taught amazing and resilient children. I have learned volumes from the various staff members I have had the opportunity to meet there, and many are going to continue to be some of my closest friends, no matter how far away they may now be. The memories, from when I marched years ago and my recent teaching experience, always come with a few tears, some frustration, but always end in laughter and a smile. The Corps Prayer means more to me today than it meant the first time I said it as a member on the starting line. Roman Blenski is a hard-working, dedicated man, who literally gives his life to the corps.

Now.... rather than sitting around posting about what 'needs to be done'..... what are YOU going to DO? :cool:

Two comments. First, going to church on Sunday mornings would probably cause a few members not to march BD or BDB.

Finally, I do something. I support other corps.

This reminds me of a conversation we (The Renegades) were having after seeing our corps new uniforms on the whole corps for the first time... We were in LA and were on the streets talking about how Bad A@@ we looked when we looked across the street and there were a bunch of street thugs laughing at us... Well I guess Bad A@@ is a relative term! :cool:

I guess I should have included Doc Martins in the mix. Just stomp on anyone who laughs.

Whats next? Duh, 2011. Great job 2010 PIONEER members. Here is a solution for you all, instead of being a armchair staff member.

Opener- Crown Imperial

Concert/ Drum solo- Niner Two

Ending-GREENSLEEVES!

Tag-?

You all need a vehicle to drive, why not? People would eat it up. Need any help? I would love to help out if needed.

Just ask, Id like to get involved somewhere.

Opener- Seahawk

Concert- Open Wide/Ole

Drum Solo- Blue Rondo ala turk

Ending- Children of Sanchez

Tag ?

People would go crazy for this. A vechile to drive. Just saying.

"Out of date, maybe, in our current society but not all bad. Pioneer and Roman are a throw-back to what some folks think were better days in the activity.

And especially this!!! And not just in the activity but society in general.

s/ Guy who believes "If you don't win, it doesn't count" is a bunch of ####!!

Your right winning isnt everything but success is. Usually the one who says that phrase LOST ALOT...sorry. You cant keep getting beat up over and over and over and not change something. How many times can you bounce back..how many times can you lose people, how many times can you say it doesnt matter, how many times can you hear IN LAST PLACE, I love this corps I really do but change is needed I think...at least give the memebers !1/2 a chance. To not do so based maybe on an archaoic attitude is just selfish.

OH and as far as Better Days? thats totally debateable. We all as older people love the GOOD OLE DAYS...only because we have selective memories.