Pioneer

It is unfair to say that Pioneer provides kids with an incredible learning experience and life lessons and everything else, so their lack of results competitively are excused.

What do you mean by "excused"? Is finishing last inexcusable? Should we force each season's last-place WC finisher to disband? As long as we have contests, we will have last-place finishers. If we make last place "inexcusable", we will eventually run out of corps.

It seems clear that Pioneer is not excusing themselves from the competitive aspect of world-class. They were not the last-place corps in 2009. Though they did finish last in 2010 WC, they were less than a point behind their closest WC rival. That's no trivial matter, because only 3 out of 39 WC last-place finishers have scored less than a point behind the next-to-last WC entrant. The Pioneer corps of 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 were among those last-place finishers that trailed all their competition by over a full point....so things have improved since then. Nevertheless, they are not satisfied, and are making changes intended to move them forward competitively. Isn't that what they should be doing?

When it comes to recruiting, perception is reality, and they are perceived as the pereneial last place corps.

If perception = reality, then the Blue Stars must be of the same mindset as the G7. I don't fall for that one....do you? Do you think all 2011 auditionees believe that?

What magazine? Wolf Lover Monthly, Railroad Trestle Enthusiast, or Subway Today?

I love all three by the way!

I sold all three, plus a picture magazine for people that didn't know how to read until they were 20. I'm trying to think of the name...Oh, yeah, Playboy. I never bought into the claim that some "read" it for the articles. Yeah, and I go to drum corps shows for the pizza.

• Like 2

It's my opinion, and that of several others. Clearly yours is different. My affiliation with another corps is irrelevant to the discussion, so please leave them out of it, I don't speak on their behalf. If you think Roman hasn't stifled Pioneers ability to be competitive then you can't see the forest through the trees, or are too close to him in some regard to be able to criticize constructively. Many talented staffers have come and gone over the past several years. Have you ever examined WHY Pioneer has such poor staff retention? This lies at the heart of their ability to be competitive. I don't claim to know anything that isn't fairly common knowledge, which is that Roman keeps a stranglehold on the creative/design process of the corps, and refuses to let anyone have any impact on how the corps is run. Hats off to Roman for keeping the corps from folding for so long. If they want to be more competitive, they need to get rid of him. If you think there are other issues keeping them in last, every, single, year, I'd be happy to hear you identify them.

So it is opinion rather than known facts.

The Blue Star and Colts organizations exemplify class, something that should have rubbed off on you.

The leadership of both of those corps have a long standing mutual respect and cordiality towards Mr. Blenski.

Who are these staffers that you are referring too?

What specific facts do you have to stand behind your allegations?

Corps gossip is not a valid substitution for facts!

Changing of staff members is done for various reasons by all corps, as you should well know. There are some top competitive corps that are constantly changing staff members.

Your opinions are just that. Gossip does nothing but destroy. Your motives???

Facts, Mr. Bozzly.

Edited by brassensemble

I have remained quiet in this thread for a while because there really hasn’t been anything of substance to add to the conversation. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. I personally feel that some of the opinions may have been formed off of inaccurate information or preconceived perceptions that are biased, but again everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect that.

So we’ll move on past that for the time being...

I sat down and had lunch with Roman a short while back to discuss the website among other subjects. Without divulging the full contents of our conversation, I will say that it was a bit of an eye opener for me. We discussed at length some of the very things that have brought up in this thread. And while I understand that there are two sides to every story, the answers he provided were completely logical and with sound reasoning. Much of it ties into Pioneer operating within its means.

We also discussed the issue of competitiveness. Again, without going into too many details, it was clear that he was not satisfied with the results from the past couple seasons. In short, he pretty much told me that he wanted to get back to the days where we were kicking butts and taking names, and was willing to do whatever it took to get there.

The staff that has been assembled for the 2011 season has the potential to lead the corps back to that point. They may not be big names that people are familiar with, but they all bring a ton of experience and the talent level they have was shown at our December camp. The production for the 2011 season also is very exciting. We’re getting a lot of positive feedback about the selections for the show and for the most part people can’t wait to see the corps on the field this summer. With renewed support from our alumni due to the 50th Anniversary, this season still has the potential be some something special and exciting!

Our next camp is January 28-30, 2011 in Milwaukee. I’d strongly encourage anyone who is considering marching next summer that hasn’t found a home yet, or maybe hasn’t made the cut at their favorite corps, to come to our camp and check us out! Don’t let perceptions stop you from experiencing the reality of a summer on the road to DCI with Pioneer!

Edited by PioneerWebmaster

So it is opinion rather than known facts.

The Blue Star and Colts organizations exemplify class, something that should have rubbed off on you.

The leadership of both of those corps have a long standing mutual respect and cordiality towards Mr. Blenski.

Who are these staffers that you are referring too?

What specific facts do you have to stand behind your allegations?

Corps gossip is not a valid substitution for facts!

Changing of staff members is done for various reasons by all corps, as you should well know. There are some top competitive corps that are constantly changing staff members.

Your opinions are just that. Gossip does nothing but destroy. Your motives???

Facts, Mr. Bozzly.

Well clearly opinions are under fire in this thread. No where did I ever claim fact in anything I said, and it should be assumed in an online forum that unless fact is specifically claimed that opinion is what is being voiced. Your inability to refrain from bringing corps names into the discussion shows you're interested more in somehow shaming the organizations I marched with instead of leveling your criticism directly at me. My motives? To participate in a discussion thread regarding "what is next" for Pioneer that was started directly after the 2010 season and their last place finish. At no point have I been rude and at no point have I slammed Roman. I haven't said he's a bad person, I haven't said he treats corps members badly, or that he smells bad, I've voiced my opinion appropriately within the context of the argument. You however seem intent on discrediting me, outing me, calling me out if you will, which has nothing to do with what is being discussed. You seem intent on limiting discussion by being aggressive and attempting to intimidate because an opinion is being shared that you disagree with. Pretty childish. If you care to join the debate, how about offering a counter argument to my claim that Roman is a part of the problem, as it relates to competitiveness. We're not discussing corps finances, uniform changes, this and that and what have you, the thread was started and continues to revert to discussions of competitiveness or lack thereof. Either choose to participate or don't but you don't have the right to just shut down civil discussion.

Edited by BozzlyB

Much of it ties into Pioneer operating within its means.

Don't have anything to add.... just like reading this about any corps be it DCI/DCA/Alumni-type/Mini/whatever....

Well clearly opinions are under fire in this thread. No where did I ever claim fact in anything I said, and it should be assumed in an online forum that unless fact is specifically claimed that opinion is what is being voiced. Your inability to refrain from bringing corps names into the discussion shows you're interested more in somehow shaming the organizations I marched with instead of leveling your criticism directly at me. My motives? To participate in a discussion thread regarding "what is next" for Pioneer that was started directly after the 2010 season and their last place finish. At no point have I been rude and at no point have I slammed Roman. I haven't said he's a bad person, I haven't said he treats corps members badly, or that he smells bad, I've voiced my opinion appropriately within the context of the argument. You however seem intent on discrediting me, outing me, calling me out if you will, which has nothing to do with what is being discussed. You seem intent on limiting discussion by being aggressive and attempting to intimidate because an opinion is being shared that you disagree with. Pretty childish. If you care to join the debate, how about offering a counter argument to my claim that Roman is a part of the problem, as it relates to competitiveness. We're not discussing corps finances, uniform changes, this and that and what have you, the thread was started and continues to revert to discussions of competitiveness or lack thereof. Either choose to participate or don't but you don't have the right to just shut down civil discussion.

Roman Blenski has hired some credible instructors to give the membership a strong musical and visually educational experience, as well as the development of a competitive program. Here is a link to the facts behind the above statement: http://www.pioneer-corps.org

If you take a look at the 2011 production and listen to the mp3 examples, you will see that it has been designed with competitiveness in mind. The arrangements alone testify to that. If you look at the bios of the staff, there again are some facts that show Roman is being proactive and not a hindrance to the competitiveness of the Pioneer Corps.

Those who experienced the December audition/rehearsal camp weekend will testify to the serious commitment that the staff has, under the leadership of Roman Blenski, to raising the competitive bar level of the corps.

OK, this is my opinion, "I feel that Roman is making every effort to boost the level of the corps. He has hired a very good design and teaching staff as well as an excellent Staff/Program Coordinator to man and be responsible for that aspect of the corps.")

Having been part of both Drum Corps Midwest and DCI Open (II/III)'s operational staffs, I have gotten to both know and appreciate the dedication of many corps directors. I guess it is my instinct to be protective of them and their reputations, mainly because of their genuine caring about the success of their young members, as well as the direction of that the corps activity takes. There is kind of a fraternal bond of many corps directors, offering whatever they can to each other for the benefit of all.

So to you and all readers, I just want to let you know that efforts are definitely in place, as well as the freedom to implement these efforts, to make the Pioneer Corps, "Better Every Day!" Yes with Roman Blenski at the helm.

Just 2 more opinions from me:

1) Roman is doing all that he can to insure the success of Pioneer.

2) As you stated, "Roman does not smell." He uses IRISH SPRING every day! :-)

I would like to take the time to wish the Blenski family and everyone in the Pioneer organization a Merry Christmas from my heart.

BTW...there is one that I really miss at this time of the year. My 3 foot sausage from Usinger's. Happy Holidays.

Donny Allen

Edited by Donny Drum Corps
  • Like 1