Pioneer

Bleh, welcome to 1998. Your guy had to work really hard to screw up that particular WordPress theme.

Who uses frames anymore?

I have a good reason, so when did you march?

If you are trying to call him out on his ring statement, he probably got it when SCVC won Champs in 2008. That means he could've marched SCVC 2007 and 2008, and then SCV 2009 and 2010 while still having two years of eligibility like he says.

Either way, it is really irrelevant to the conversation as it has nothing to do with Pioneer.

If you are trying to call him out on his ring statement, he probably got it when SCVC won Champs in 2008. That means he could've marched SCVC 2007 and 2008, and then SCV 2009 and 2010 while still having two years of eligibility like he says.

Either way, it is really irrelevant to the conversation as it has nothing to do with Pioneer.

I want to look and see how well this go to the dot thing worked for SCV. Personally I think that philosophy of marching is nuts for many reasons such as there are no dots marked on the competition field , nobodys step size is always the same, people often have the wrong ideas about where there dot should be, different turfs, different conditions, the fact that marching a show involves multi tasking , when someone is marching in the wrong place corrections need to be made, etc.

I want to look and see how well this go to the dot thing worked for SCV. Personally I think that philosophy of marching is nuts for many reasons such as there are no dots marked on the competition field , nobodys step size is always the same, people often have the wrong ideas about where there dot should be, different turfs, different conditions, the fact that marching a show involves multi tasking , when someone is marching in the wrong place corrections need to be made, etc.

Yeah, that's when I marched. The dot system seems to work pretty well, since the Cavaliers have been doing it for a long while, and have won more than a few titles, and even more visual titles. You don't look for a specific dot on the field, during practices, you go to your specific place, and learn exactly where that is on the field in relation to the field markings. You learn exactly what every marking on the field means, and exactly where it lays on them, so you can go to any dot in relation to that. And yes, we know there are differences between college and pro fields, and we have corrections for that. After two seasons of it, I can tell you exactly what each marking on a field means. And again, it's about individual responsibility. If the guy next to you is off his dot, that's his problem, not my problem. You go to your own spot, and only worry about yourself. And we carry dot books at all time, completely filled out down to quarter steps, involving mid-sets, allowing anyone to find out exactly where they will be at any point in time on the field. Okay? That explain enough?

The previously mentioned "go to the dot " philosophy is not working:

I rest my case.

Be well,

Michael

I think this pretty much proves that it does work actually.... See, if one person is off their spot, it's just one person. It doesn't pull the whole form off. now go watch Finals instead of a mid-season show, okay? :thumbdown: Or go watch SCV 2009 at Finals, first halt in the opener. None of that stuff was done using form dressing. Or go check out any Cavaliers year from the last decade. It's all dot marching.

The previously mentioned "go to the dot " philosophy is not working:

I rest my case.

Be well,

Michael

For every "dot marching doesn't work" video you post, I can post a thousand that proves form marching is worse. I've marched with and taught both styles (with competitive success at both ends of the spectrum), and I can tell you that the best-working method was 90% dot, 10% form. For what it's worth, that particular method helped me get a DCA ring.

Marching methods and terminology from "back in the day" simply do not work if you want to produce a modern, competitive visual program. While I think it's important that we understand and honor the past, if you were to try that 70s or 80s style of marching/teaching today, at best you'd get your doors blown in on the score sheet, and at worst you'd indeed be accused of incompetence.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

For every "dot marching doesn't work" video you post, I can post a thousand that proves form marching is worse. I've marched with and taught both styles (with competitive success at both ends of the spectrum), and I can tell you that the best-working method was 90% dot, 10% form. For what it's worth, that particular method helped me get a DCA ring.

Marching methods and terminology from "back in the day" simply do not work if you want to produce a modern, competitive visual program. While I think it's important that we understand and honor the past, if you were to try that 70s or 80s style of marching/teaching today, at best you'd get your doors blown in on the score sheet, and at worst you'd indeed be accused of incompetence.

Because we all know that top 12 drumcorps march much cleaner today than they did in say, 1980.

Ugh...