Dear Blue Devils,

As if BD is going to read this thread, and say "hey, you know what? Let's forget about designing a championship show with music and ideas that no one has ever seen on the field, and bring back some jazzy classics to please a few diehards on the internet".

I understand voicing your opinion, and the powers that be may very well read these messages. I'm also fairly certain they're just going to have a "so what" attitude. And they should. They've won 14 titles, and 3 in the last 4 years. They know what they're doing, and I don't think they're going to stray from that.

excellent

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said this many times......if winning is what it's all about.....they are missing the best parts of drum corps.........IMO

If you are gonna get upset about a drum corps' show design, you are missing the best part of drum corps.....IMO

As if BD is going to read this thread, and say "hey, you know what? Let's forget about designing a championship show with music and ideas that no one has ever seen on the field, and bring back some jazzy classics to please a few diehards on the internet".

I understand voicing your opinion, and the powers that be may very well read these messages. I'm also fairly certain they're just going to have a "so what" attitude. And they should. They've won 14 titles, and 3 in the last 4 years. They know what they're doing, and I don't think they're going to stray from that.

:lookaround: As we say in the military when someone says it all....."end of transmission!!"

Blue Devils should be congratulated on winning another title.

And, while I did not particularly like this years show (Kenton's City of Glass is a bit harsh for the field, in my opinion), I did have to give it up for the level of execution it took to pull it off and the level of excellence that the corps achieved. I think too may people jump to the conclusion that if you didn't like the show you thought the corps was bad or you were hating on BD. It's ok to not like a show. (I didn't and to this day don't like Cadets '91, and I am a big Cadet fan.) (And I disagree with booing.)

So BD, keep pushing the envelope and develop the show concepts that are new, interesting and make the DCI audience have to think a bit.

Have a nice day!

Edited by venkeman

I can't take it anymore. I've been wanting to talk about BD's show this year for a long time and it took Ghost's asinine "challenge" for the Blue Devils to "Go out in 2011 and present a more traditional Drum & Bugle Corps show". And then if that "challenge" wasn't offensive enough you had to add "Prove to the fans that you can still win it all without props".

WOW.

So let me get this straight, you're proposing a "challenge" for the most winningest corp in DCI history, the back-to-back undefeated world champions that haven't lost a show since finals of 2008? Instead, how about you "challenge" the other 11 corps that make it to finals to actually beat BD next year? How about you "challenge" Blue Coats to bounce back from their snooze-fest 2010 production and make a show fit for a World Class 3rd place corp and NOT make a world class high school show? Or would you rather see more shows like MAD WORLD? (Which scored 1.15 points lower than BD's prop filled show). As much as I'd like to go on about how boring most of the shows were this year and how I think this was one of the worst overall years in a long time, I won't, because I'd really like to get to Ghost's "challenge".

"Go out in 2011 and present a more traditional Drum & Bugle Corps show." I wish you could clarify what you mean by that. Cause a "traditional" drum corp show is exactly what I don't want to see. Ask the Madison Scouts and Troopers how "traditional" shows have worked for them. For better or worse the newer rules that DCI has implemented have forced corps to change the way shows are designed, which has forced corps to try new things, i.e. 2008 & 2010 BD. If you want to stay in the past, get a subscription to FanNetwork, the rest of us will be looking forward to the 2011 season.

"Prove to the fans that you can still win it all without props." This line is pathetic. BD was one of the LAST corps to embrace the newer GE rules. And by that I mean, not just playing and marching, but doing a lot of individual movement and acting. BD never did anything like that, but once they did it already looked better than the other corps. Has BD used props in the past? Of course. Was it ever an integral part of their show like other corps? Never. So for the past 2 years they use props and now all the sudden you're making it seem like they wrote the book on field props? Do you really want me to list all the years they didn't use props and still won championships?

I don't know why I'm this surprised at ridiculous posts like Ghost's. BD is BY FAR the most disliked/hated corp in DCI and it's because they're so progressive. BD's show this year was light years ahead of the other corps and I'd laugh out loud after watching the crowd respond to their performances, because they'd just sit there and clap just to be polite. The Cadets come out with their cute little drum major Jeffery and act all innocent and golly gee and the crowd ATE IT UP. Then BD comes out and plays opposing melodies and the drum line is playing a ton of notes, then it build to La Suerte (Wow, nothing AT ALL traditional about BD playing La Suerte) and then goes right back to what they do better than anyone else, an interesting show. How is a crowd that wants Little Jeffery gonna react to that? Whatever.

I stand corrected BugleBand.

What I meant to say was " How about you "challenge"

BlueTheReasonIGotTheirNameWrongIsBecauseIDontCareAboutThisCorpBecauseTheyHaveNev

erDoneAnythingEvenRemotleyExcitingOrMeaningfulAndAreCompletelyForGettableThatIsEx

ceptForTheir2009ProgramWhichIsOneOfTheWorstShowsOfAllTimeCoats

to bounce back from their snooze-fest 2010 production and make a show fit for a World Class 3rd place corp and NOT make a world class high school show?

I can't believe I got that wrong. Embarrassing.

I think 22 other world class corps would tell you they are also about virtuosity and pushing performance limits.......

But would they be able to tell you about it in the manner the Blue Devils can? I mean seriously to what level of virtuosity and pushing performance limits do OTHER corps have as compared to the 14 time world champions?

I have said this many times......if winning is what it's all about.....they are missing the best parts of drum corps.........IMO

I have to tell you... In the Blue Devils just like all your favorite corps, lifelong friendships are forged... People have the time of their lives and... You get a ring a good percentage of the time... It is no less an experience than ANY other corps and may be more than most... So please do not feel bad for the Blue Devils as they are all at home smiling and polishing their rings! :lookaround: