What direction will BD take in 2011?

hey...i got off your hater jag for you, so deal with the primate gag...and i gave you Sherlock to work with now too :tongue:

doomsday rhetoric? isn't it the G7 directors who bemoan money lost? wasn't it in the Januals where they talked about trying to reach fans lost? Hey man, I'm using THEIR words, not my own. so fuzzy logic? Not when the leaders themselves are saying it...so are you calling them fuzzy?

a little history for you...2002, Dan A was able to announce for the first time in many years that PAID attendance would be over 20,000 people. And it grew.

now, we're to be happy with maybe 15,000...if they ever release the numbers? after all, we';re still waiting for 08.

yes people are going...but NOT AS MANY AS ONCE DID. Do you not see a problem with that? As a guy who runs a business, any loss is bad. How do you not get that?

why isn't DCI releasing numbers? Easy. It doesn't look good to announce them. After all, this is the group that took over the DCM shows a few years ago and crowed about great attendance....by adding in shows already there, just now under their banner. The next year, they talked about "like" shows year to year...and didn't consider a regional as a like show since half the corps came from the year before and attendance dropped by half.

and if drum corps is so fine....why the need to propose to radically structure DCI by either side?

again, look at it from a business perspective, not from the artistic side. yet again, your lack of knowing the history of the game shoots your arguments full of holes.

You're not giving our ###### economy enough credit.

Your pissing and moaning the past three months over how boring BD is and how DCI is gonna take a dump is really getting old.

Edited by ingenious

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey...i got off your hater jag for you, so deal with the primate gag...and i gave you Sherlock to work with now too :tongue:

doomsday rhetoric? isn't it the G7 directors who bemoan money lost? wasn't it in the Januals where they talked about trying to reach fans lost? Hey man, I'm using THEIR words, not my own. so fuzzy logic? Not when the leaders themselves are saying it...so are you calling them fuzzy?

a little history for you...2002, Dan A was able to announce for the first time in many years that PAID attendance would be over 20,000 people. And it grew.

now, we're to be happy with maybe 15,000...if they ever release the numbers? after all, we';re still waiting for 08.

yes people are going...but NOT AS MANY AS ONCE DID. Do you not see a problem with that? As a guy who runs a business, any loss is bad. How do you not get that?

why isn't DCI releasing numbers? Easy. It doesn't look good to announce them. After all, this is the group that took over the DCM shows a few years ago and crowed about great attendance....by adding in shows already there, just now under their banner. The next year, they talked about "like" shows year to year...and didn't consider a regional as a like show since half the corps came from the year before and attendance dropped by half.

and if drum corps is so fine....why the need to propose to radically structure DCI by either side?

again, look at it from a business perspective, not from the artistic side. yet again, your lack of knowing the history of the game shoots your arguments full of holes.

Ream, you ignorant slut! :tongue: (normally I save that for Garfield, but he's not around)

First off, as always, I bow to your historical perspective and drum corps knowledge in perpituity....but I think you missed my point. It was a strategic error to place DCI finals in one location. If you remember part of the G7 proposal (Mod...I won't say anymore..promise) was to bring more corps west and to have finals out there every 3 years. So I'm sure some of the Bidniz men understand what a dumb idea LOS for 10 years was. But I don't really think that the dropping numbers are related to what your are trying to relate them to. That's my problem with your argument....you (and others) paint a gloomy picture and suggest that if we (the drum corps community) let these renegade drum corps with the goofy designs and non-traditionalism go "unpunished" all will be lost. Don't you see how ridiculous that sounds?

Also your point about "the proposal" is true to the extent that the directors used a possible dwindling fan base as a call to action, but it was more about developing "new" fans, not finding ways to ingratiate the old ones by making things like they used to be. And Drum Corps isn't fine, I agree, but not for the reasons you believe. You think that if DCI arranges for someone to kick BD's ### and get the stars back into alignment, all will be good and the seats will fill up. That sounds like a reality show!

Edited by Plan9

Yes, DCP....the "go to place" for reality and the truth!!! :tongue:

And yet you're so concerned with correcting the "untruths" on here.

Bottom line... When a DCP opinion supports one's own, it's a relevant medium. When it doesn't, it's just a bunch of drum corps geeks online #####ing and moaning.

And yes... that goes for a LOT of people on here. Myself included at times.

Edited by chaddyt

And yet you're so concerned with correcting the "untruths" on here.

Bottom line... When a DCP opinion supports one's own, it's a relevant medium. When it doesn't, it's just a bunch of drum corps geeks online #####ing and moaning.

And yes... that goes for a LOT of people on here. Myself included at times.

And yet, we all get so upset when it happens time after time

Yes, DCP....the "go to place" for reality and the truth!!! :tongue:

so you're saying everyone on here that said the show bored them is lying?

how magnanimous of you.

My point has nothing to do with what you're talking about, so you did miss it.

OH BROTHER!!!!

then maybe type it in English so peoplke understand it. thanks!

There was this episode of 30 Rock that argued if any part of America is more American than another. I think if that when I hear these arguments. How is any one time frame of BD more BD than any other time frame? Isn't it all BD?

i wasn't referring to any specific time frame, I was just using 2006 as a recent example. What I meant by that post was the general attitude of the Blue Devils, and the way they do their shows. Being complete BA, but still providing a show that is fun and memorable at the same time. I can think of times over all of their years where that's happened, and some times over the years when it hasn't happened.

Your pissing and moaning the past three months over how boring BD is and how DCI is gonna take a dump is really getting old.

actually I've been vocal about BD's shows for 3 years, and DCI's future for 4 or 5.....and if the leaders are now saying they're worried....seems I may be agreeing with them there's a problem. I'm just not sure I agree with them on how to fix it. time will tell

p.s. I have given the economy some credit. I just don't think it deserves as much as it somestimes gets