What direction will BD take in 2011?

y

While that is a valid complaint for some people, if they are not gonna keep coming back, there is nothing you can do about it. You can't please everyone, and I believe there is enough variety in this year's WC palate for everyone to find at least one thing they like, and it is simply impossible to be happy with the whole field. I found at least one thing I liked, however minuscule, in every drum corps I've ever seen or heard, live or recorded.

one year does not a trend make. and after several years of the trend the other way, many people walked.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While that is a valid complaint for some people, if they are not gonna keep coming back, there is nothing you can do about it. You can't please everyone, and I believe there is enough variety in this year's WC palate for everyone to find at least one thing they like, and it is simply impossible to be happy with the whole field. I found at least one thing I liked, however minuscule, in every drum corps I've ever seen or heard, live or recorded.

Although I have seen and heard corps that I didn't like much at all... At the very least I enjoyed the fact that those people out there were hot, sweaty and tired for the better part of the summer and I loved the fact that they had the ability to go out there and do that show! :tongue:

y

one year does not a trend make. and after several years of the trend the other way, many people walked.

I didn't use the word trend, you did, but I digress.

Since you quoted 2002, obviously this type of thing has been going on for a long time (I'm guessing since 1972), so while it's unfortunate, it's inevitable.

Although I have seen and heard corps that I didn't like much at all... At the very least I enjoyed the fact that those people out there were hot, sweaty and tired for the better part of the summer and I loved the fact that they had the ability to go out there and do that show! :tongue:

HERE HERE!!!!!

problem is DCI isn't in a position to lose money, because if they do, the corps get less. that's why the ESPN idea died. I like the idea, trust me, but I'm being practical here. You already have 7 corps crying they don't get enough. Now say DCI loses $500k getting PPV going. that's not going to make things better.

the other issues is Saturday is HUGE movie business. a niche activity is going to have a really had time convincing theaters to not show Avatar II on Saturday, because really, Avatar makes them more money.

the web would be the way to go, and the FN has the best option out there.I'd say create a finals plan, for those who want to watch finals as part of their season plan. If anything, that makes the most sense.

Ahem...I said "a little money". $500k isn't little money! <G> Yes, Saturday is HUGE movie business, but honestly - our local theater (which showed the quarters show in one of the "small" theaters on the side) has 15 screens, but Avatar or similar hit will not play on more than two screens. The big stadium screens are pretty well packed on a weekend, but I can walk into at least five or six theaters showing some crappy or out-too-long film with only a dozen or so people in it. As I said, I'd pay $40-50 to see finals on a screen like that, assuming the sound is done properly (ears bleeeding). Average ticket to one of those other flicks - $11 x 12 people in the theater - $132 gross. Even if tickets were only $25, you'd be hard pressed to not beat that figure. If DCI marketed properly and limited the number of outlets, it could work - and be very profitable.

The biggest problem we face re/web is whether they can provide HD (at least 720p) quality for a broadcast. My laptop has an HDMI output, which I patch into my 50" big screen and home theater. Sounds pretty good, not fantastic, but the picture is only acceptable on a multi camera view and quite fuzzy from the high camera. I can live with it, but they must find a way to make it better. There is far more money to be had through this channel, as opposed to live audiences. In fact, a venue such as Stanford might be an excellent place to have finals. How about a "sold out" finals with a packed house, and tens of thousands more watching via many different media channels? Then DCI lowers its overhead (face it, LOS is big overkill size-wise for the crowds they pull), presents a better face with a packed house and increases its per-ticket profit through electronic media. It's a matter of "thinking big by thinking smaller"...empty seats never present a great image to either the corps on the field or viewers on tv.

well, I asked a local theatre what the odds would be for a special event like Big Loud Live is now being moved to Saturday ( I know a theater owner).

he said short of UFC or maybe Wrestlemania, odds are about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1 anything would get put on a Saturday night that was not a movie.

well, I asked a local theatre what the odds would be for a special event like Big Loud Live is now being moved to Saturday ( I know a theater owner).

he said short of UFC or maybe Wrestlemania, odds are about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1 anything would get put on a Saturday night that was not a movie.

I understand where he's coming from, but money talks. If they could be guaranteed a sellout at a very high price, I think they'd change their tune. We could at least beat out "Furry Vengeance" for gross receipts, I think. Maybe if DCI called it a movie that would change their mind!

I understand where he's coming from, but money talks. If they could be guaranteed a sellout at a very high price, I think they'd change their tune. We could at least beat out "Furry Vengeance" for gross receipts, I think. Maybe if DCI called it a movie that would change their mind!

you can't guarantee a sell out tho. And if you do guarantee it, and it doesn't happen, you're ####ed down the road. Despite what you may believe, not every theater for DCi sells out. From our research, it's less than half

you can't guarantee a sell out tho. And if you do guarantee it, and it doesn't happen, you're ####ed down the road. Despite what you may believe, not every theater for DCi sells out. From our research, it's less than half

Therein lies the answer...reduce the amount of outlets to increase the percentage of seats filled on average. Believe me, I NEVER had illusions that ANY theaters sold out. The two locations I've viewed at were less than half full. DCI shouldn't be expected to guarantee a sellout, but if the show is marketed properly and tickets are pre-sold to establish how many theaters to use, it could work. My preference is in-home PPV, but I have no clue whether it's financially feasible.