What direction will BD take in 2011?

There's no doubt the most talked about show this past season has been "Through a glass darkly" by the Blue Devils.

Here on DCP the majority of BD fans liked it and the majority of all other fans disliked it. Personally I was somewhere in the middle.... once I have digested my thoughts I will attempt a finals review.

My question is, will their staff give us another "progressive" show that's capable of winning or give us a show that's also capable of winning but keeps more than just a few hundred friends and family for encore?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no doubt the most talked about show this past season has been "Through a glass darkly" by the Blue Devils.

Here on DCP the majority of BD fans liked it and the majority of all other fans disliked it. Personally I was somewhere in the middle.... once I have digested my thoughts I will attempt a finals review.

My question is, will their staff give us another "progressive" show that's capable of winning or give us a show that's also capable of winning but keeps more than just a few hundred friends and family for encore?

First off, there were a bit more than family and friends, kind of an unneccessary slam there don't you think?

Next, bring this dance to California and you will see a whole different outcome. I do appreciate what your trying to get across with this thread..."let's get BD to be like we want them to be thread". Not really sure why that's critical as you have about 22 other options that will float your bubble nicely. Just sayin'.

Edited by Plan9

I mean, I am split on the BD organization. They clearly have not only great talent, but a great staff that knows how to make that talent show. Every BD show has moments that impress me, however, they also have long, very boring sections that don't engage me at all where it seems like not much is happening. I hope they keep the good stuff, but make it a little more engaging. and if they go off the deep end and BOA the place up (which I don't think they've done quite yet, but if they keep heading in the same direction, they might be there) I hope, HOPE the judges show them that's not the way to go.

Not sure how you define a Blue Devils fan. I am a fan, but not exclusively of BD. And I liked their show this year.

People's tastes are extremely subjective, and even a show that's written to appeal to an audience may not do so. First of all, you have to have the talent to pull it off. Madison's show was written to appeal to the fans, and that was fairly obvious, but the corps also performed this show quite well, adding to the impact. By the same token, Cavaliers had a very strange show, yet by season's end were performing it so well that the fans were eating it up.

With the direction that judging seems to be taking, I'm not sure that a corps can do a "fan-friendly" show and win these days. (I really feel that Phantom 2008 was an anomaly.) I get the feeling that year in and year out, BD's staff tries to put together a show they believe will win, and then their attitude is to let the chips fall where they may. If the audience likes it -- which, the more they win, the less likely that seems to be seems to be -- fine. If not, fine too . . . as long as they achieve what they set out to achieve.

First off, there were a bit more than family and friends, kind of an unneccessary slam there don't you think?

Next, bring this dance to California and you will see a whole different outcome. I do appreciate what your trying to get across with this thread..."let's get BD to be like we want them to be thread". Not really sure why that's critical as you have about 22 other options that will float your bubble nicely. Just sayin'.

Yeah, might have taken the OP seriously if it weren't for that obvious slam there.

Just another hate thread.

*yawn*

Hopefully more music and less props.

Plenty of Haterade goin' on disguised as sweet tea.

So right! It's actually amusing to watch! :cool: